Author Topic: "Perth Mint Unveils Chinese Lion Silver Coin"  (Read 1051 times)

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+18)
"Perth Mint Unveils Chinese Lion Silver Coin"
« on: November 12, 2014, 09:25:38 AM »
"Perth Mint Unveils Chinese Lion Silver Coin",  Coin Week November 11, 2014
https://www.coinweek.com/world-coins/perth-mint-unveils-chinese-lion-silver-coin/

I've lost track of the many different coins with a Chinese theme that various mints around the world are making.  The good news is that it raises awareness and interest in Chinese coins.  Cumulatively, however, it does introduce a dizzying number of options for the collector to spend his or her money, and then next year and the next year there will presumably be a large number of additional options.  Since I have an investor bias to my collecting, I tend to follow the advice I've heard from a few others suggesting that the investor stick to low-mintage coins that are from core, flagship series of the China mint (e.g., pandas).  Some of the people that buy the newer year pandas will later tend to want to expand their collections to the include the pandas from the previous 33 years.  That will mean steady demand for the older dates from the core series going into the future.  A single-year coin from a non-China mint that is focused on an isolated theme many have a tendency to be forgotten in future years?  Having said that, the Chinese Lion Silver Coin highlighted in this particular article is attractive and might make an interesting gift.