Author Topic: Sepak Takraw at SkillCon, December 2014  (Read 24248 times)

Online Mirkkanen

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+47)
Sepak Takraw at SkillCon, December 2014
« on: September 12, 2014, 03:51:40 AM »
*This is a non coin related post.*

In December, I will undertake the project of hosting the largest professional quality Sepak takraw tourney ever held in the United States. The tournament will be at an alternative sports convention in Las Vegas called SkillCon,  which has the potential to be very well attended by the general public!

SkillCon is an exciting development for several reasons:
1) the event will be professionally filmed and edited in order to produce a showreel. The product will be distributed to US organizers of sepak takraw events in order to stimulate the promotion of my sport to the public and mainstream media.

2) my event appears as if it will be the best attended event in recent years . . . Teams from all over the USA, of different races/ethnicities, who normally do not attend each others' events, will compete together at mine!

3) The event will be sponsored by Marathon, the premier Thai company that produces nearly all of the sepak takraw equipment used during international tournament play. It will be the first such sponsorship of a sepak takraw tournament in the USA.

4) Players and fans who attend SkillCon will have free access to two workshops, where they will learn from 5 members of the US national sepak takraw team. To my knowledge, this has never happened before.

In a few weeks, I will launch a crowd funding campaign on RocketHub in order to raise the funds necessary to publicize my event, to fund my event to the extent that will entice players to travel cross-country to compete, and entice corporate sponsorship.

Please check out the SkillCon website:
www.skillcon.org/sepak-takraw

When the crowdfunding page is live, I will be sure to post a link here. Thank you for reading.

Online Mirkkanen

• Supporter
Re: Sepak Takraw at SkillCon, December 2014
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 11:04:32 PM »
Today I launched a crowdfunding campaign for the sepak takraw event I am organizing in Las Vegas in December:

http://www.rockethub.com/projects/47283-grow-sepak-takraw-in-the-usa

You'll find a 3 minute video describing my project front and center. If it makes you feel compelled to donate, don't fight the urge. Just give in and show your support for a good cause!  :thumbup:

I will be adding some additional "thank you" gifts to the site. Most though, are geared toward footsport lovers. I will have some t-shirts with my Welcome to SkillCon logo available and will send one to any CCF member who donates $40 or more. Send me a PM if you donate and would like a shirt.

Online Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 11:09:38 AM »
Today I launched a crowdfunding campaign for the sepak takraw event I am organizing in Las Vegas in December:

You'll find a 3 minute video describing my project front and center. If it makes you feel compelled to donate, don't fight the urge. Just give in and show your support for a good cause!  :thumbup:

I will be adding some additional "thank you" gifts to the site. Most though, are geared toward footsport lovers. I will have some t-shirts with my Welcome to SkillCon logo available and will send one to any CCF member who donates $40 or more. Send me a PM if you donate and would like a shirt.

Jeremy, Nice skill at 3:03.  I made a small donation.  Good luck with your venture.  What a cool sport.

Online Mirkkanen

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 11:35:19 AM »
Your donation is very appreciated Birdman!

Teamwork makes the dream work  N42

If any CCF members work for businesses that may be intetested in becoming sponsors of this event, I have put together some small scale corporate sponsorship packages. Please PM me for details!

Online Mirkkanen

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 11:09:35 PM »
So far, I have received 2 donations from CCF member for Grow Sepak Takraw in the USA!

Thank you both.

Online Mirkkanen

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 01:19:42 AM »
A third CCF member has become a funder of the Grow Sepak Takraw in the USA campaign on RocketHub.

In relates news, my campaign is, for the time being, prominently featured front and center on the site's main page! Check it out at rockethub.Com

Online Mirkkanen

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 07:02:03 PM »
With help from two graphic designers, Holly Matthews (an old footbag friend) and Jason Portugal (an old high school friend), the idea for this logo became reality. It will be featured on some shirts (and maybe some other merch) and will be available for purchase at my event at SkillCon, in Las Vegas Dec 27th and 28th. I will also be offering up some of these shirts as goods for the Grow Sepak Takraw in the USA campaign on rockethub.com.

If you'd like to buy a shirt to support the campaign, send me a PM and I will get you hooked up.

In other news, a good friend of mine and the owner of Oakland Silver & Gold www.oaklandsilverandgold.com/, has generously funded my campaign with $1000USD! This is the second time that he has come through for USA Sepak Takraw, and I am very thankful for his support.

I hope ya'll don't consider this spamming the board. I'm just excited about the project and its possibilities.

Online Mirkkanen

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 01:22:32 AM »
As of today, I have raised about $2,500 of the $6,500 needed. I am 38% funded with 40 days left in the campaign.  N3

My goal of having this tournament filmed live by an ESPN-approved camera crew and edited for TV will be realized if I raise $6,500 to secure the sound, lighting, 3 HD camera set up and union crew who will put in the work. I have set up a crowd funding campaign page at RocketHub for the purpose of raising this relatively large amount of funding.

Please take 3 minutes to visit my crowd funding campaign and watch the video that explains my project:

Please help me to give back to the sport I love and support the minority communities scattered across the US that play it. Sepak takraw has given my life purpose over the past 6 years, and I am taking the lead on bringing this sport to mainstream America, but I cannot do it alone!

Will you be the 4th CCF supporter of this project?   N42

Online Mirkkanen

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 04:35:44 PM »
There are 19 days left in the Grow Sepak Takraw in the USA crowdfunding campaign:
http://www.rockethub.com/projects/47283-grow-sepak-takraw-in-the-usa.

As of today, I have raised $4,700+ dollars of the $6,500 goal. I'm 73% funded, awesome!

For any CCF Member who can afford a $50 donation to Grow Sepak Takraw in the USA,
I will send you a silver takraw ball pendant (about the size of a marble) in a gift box
to thank you for your donation! These would go great on a silver chain.

Thank you for your continued support!  N40
-Mirkkanen

Online Mirkkanen

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 12:55:50 PM »
Got a 4th CCF supporter last night! Thank you sir!

Online Mirkkanen

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2014, 11:25:52 PM »
BUMP

Grow Sepak Takraw in the USA just passed the $5,000 mark! With 14 days to go, however, we have at least $1,500 more dollars to raise! I am optimistic the goal will be reached, but your continued support would be greatly appreciated  :thumbup:

For a $30 donation, I will send an official tournament t-shirt (black) with the logo below to your US address. If an out-of-country CCF member is interested, please contact me first.

And, of course, the silver pendants above are still available for a donation of $50 or more (7 left).

Thank you.

Online Mirkkanen

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2014, 02:14:13 PM »
Here is a video of a few of my sepak takraw friends who live in St. Paul, MN. They come from sepak takraw playing families in which all of the male members (incl. parents) are current or former players.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_OTkxggkTA

John, the first player interviewed, will represent at SkillCon with a team of his brothers, Houa (also interviewed) and Soua (not in the video). Anthony (second player interviewed), will also represent on a team with two of his brothers, Ker Cha (3rd interviewed) and older brother Sue (not on video).

This is the group of players is very special, and they are the most talented players that the USA has EVER had. If they lived in Asia, they'd likely be involved with Laos' national team. I have trained with all of these players, both internationally, in CA and in MN. I am organizing and promoting this event for players like them.

Now you know a little more about what you are supporting. On behalf of all of us, thank you.

Online Mirkkanen

• Supporter
Re: Grow Sepak Takraw in the USA!!
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 08:30:13 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voLc79hay24

A little video I made. Tug at your heart strings? We need more funding!

N39

Online Mirkkanen

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2014, 04:26:37 AM »
Sepak takraw and I made it on KRON 4 Bay Area news last night. Check it out:
http://youtu.be/HQCf1EgrrWs

Only 7 more days left in my campaign. 92% funded.

Online Mirkkanen

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2014, 01:57:50 PM »
Drew Lilley of Asia Sports Ventures (ASV), has written a rather impressive article about my event:
http://www.sepaktakraw.org/sepaktakraw-comes-to-las-vegas/#.VHN7qMvTnqA

Enjoy!

Online Mirkkanen

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2015, 01:04:46 PM »
In the coming days and weeks, I'll post some videos documenting the events that transpired at my sepak takraw event at SkillCon in December, 2014. Several members here at CCF helped to support the event with donations.  N40

Here is the first video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV2F8-gMvQ0&x-yt-cl=84503534&x-yt-ts=1421914688

I like this one because the SkillCon President who edited the video chose to end it with a clip of sepak takraw, my sport.

Online Mirkkanen

• Supporter
Re: Sepak Takraw at 2014 SkillCon, AND 2015 Update!
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2015, 03:27:47 AM »
SkillCon's synopsis of the 2014 Sepaktakraw Open:
https://youtu.be/laQz5PaRi5A

Exclusive look at my 2015 Sepaktakraw Open event promo:
https://youtu.be/jUVbMr2X_IE

This year's event takes place Nov 6th-8th, at the Golden Nugget in Las Vegas. Once again, I am needing to raise funds for this event.

Thanks to my partnership with the Sepak Takraw of USA, Inc. 501(c)(3) and our fiscal sponsor Hmong American Partnership, cash and product donations are now tax dedictible! If interested in becoming an anonymous donor, event sponsor, or a named/corporate sponsor, please contact me. The next 2 months of my life will be devoted to funding, promoting, organizing, and running this event. Thanks for your support!

Offline KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2015, 09:35:59 AM »
You want to make this sport popular, get people excited and make a tons of money along the away.  Get females in bikinis playing at the beach, Beach Sepak Takraw Tournament at Manhattan Beach.  The crowds will come, advertisers will come and someday it will be an Olympic sport.  Think big and take the path of least resistance to the top. 

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+14)
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2015, 09:26:22 PM »
You want to make this sport popular, get people excited and make a tons of money along the away.  Get females in bikinis playing at the beach, Beach Sepak Takraw Tournament at Manhattan Beach.  The crowds will come, advertisers will come and someday it will be an Olympic sport.  Think big and take the path of least resistance to the top. 
[/quote

I have yet to find an instance where Bikinis DID NOT WORK lol :)

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2015, 09:26:42 PM »

• Supporter
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2015, 02:05:01 AM »

Offline Hippanda

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2015, 03:24:04 AM »

Watching old guys playing hackeysack /badminton?    Meh ~

Watching young bikini-clad babes playing hackeysack/ badminton?  ++++++!!!

Add Jello and fights?   Off the charts $$$$$$$

Jus' sayin'

"He who speaks without modesty will find it difficult to make his words good."

Confucius

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2015, 07:16:27 AM »
Time to revise the website  Arif!! Lol

andrewlee10

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2015, 12:27:46 PM »
Arif, you need model?

Online Mirkkanen

• Supporter
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2015, 01:25:12 PM »
Here are Games 2 and 3 of the 3rd place match from last year's event in Vegas. My team is in green, playing against a team from Texas in purple.

Be sure to change the settings to 1080p so you can appreciate the action in full HD:

Game 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc-6LjRprV4

Game 3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ficy-JQEQmI

And if so inclined, please share with friends who likely have never seen or heard of this sport before!

Online Mirkkanen

• Supporter
What is Sepak Takraw of USA, Inc?
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2015, 01:45:27 AM »
https://youtu.be/qr5v_XvZDc8

This is our newly formed non-profit, of which I am a board member. This 2:37 video explains the organization's founding, it's purpose and vision, this year's accomplishments, and how you can support. I am proud to be a part of this group, which will one day be responsible for bringing takraw mainstream.

Enjoy the video.

Online Mirkkanen

• Supporter
Sepak Takraw Appears on U.S. TV!
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2015, 09:08:33 PM »
In August, 2015, I got a phone call from a Bellum Entertainment TV producer down in L.A. who wanted footage of sepaktakraw being played in the USA. Thanks to my 2014 crowdfunding effort, which was supported by several awesome CCF members, I was able to provide the producer with some high definition video captured at the 2014 Sepak Takraw Open at SkillCon in Las Vegas. which his production team turned into a 2 minute television segment.

This segment was recently broadcast nationwide on a TV show called "Coolest Places on Earth," a travel channel style show on cable TV. The segment will air again from Dec 21-26, 2015 and twice more in 2016, so see if you can find it in your area :P

Here is the segment they ran:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxoC56P-LZA

Enjoy!

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2015, 09:40:01 PM »
In August, 2015, I got a phone call from a Bellum Entertainment TV producer down in L.A. who wanted footage of sepaktakraw being played in the USA. Thanks to my 2014 crowdfunding effort, which was supported by several awesome CCF members, I was able to provide the producer with some high definition video captured at the 2014 Sepak Takraw Open at SkillCon in Las Vegas. which his production team turned into a 2 minute television segment.

This segment was recently broadcast nationwide on a TV show called "Coolest Places on Earth," a travel channel style show on cable TV. The segment will air again from Dec 21-26, 2015 and twice more in 2016, so see if you can find it in your area :P

Here is the segment they ran:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxoC56P-LZA

Enjoy!

Congrats! Here's to more publicity. Next stop CNN!  :thumbup1:
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

• Supporter
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2015, 10:08:01 PM »
That was a great video.  Congrats.

Online Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2015, 07:45:51 AM »
Wonderful!   :thumbup:

Offline adnap

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Coinsasia.com
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2015, 10:08:54 AM »
Really enjoyed the video and congrads on your work paying off. Continued success!

Online Mirkkanen

• Supporter
Trick Shot (Sepaktakraw) - 10 seconds of fun
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2016, 08:30:07 PM »
This has nothing to do with MCC, at all.

I went to a local park yesterday and filmed myself attempting a few trick shots. Here's one that went in :)

https://www.facebook.com/jeremy.mirken/videos/10157195615540203/

It seems to be getting around, with approx. 3.4 views now.  :thumbup:

Offline Hippanda

« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2016, 10:40:57 PM »
To be fair, shouldn't the site reference more ethnic special sports rather than just one?

For example, How about Kubb- a fine Western European traditional game that stretches far and wide, with exciting competitions!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b6pVMmuJ7Rc

( Donations? Fund raisers?  Or maybe we keep this site more for Chinese coin matters?)
"He who speaks without modesty will find it difficult to make his words good."

Confucius

Online Mirkkanen

• Supporter
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2016, 01:37:51 AM »
Do any members of CCF live in Las VEGAS Area? If so, please send me a PM. Thank you!