Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Chinese Panda Coins / Re: 2017 Hong Kong Coin Show Panda
« Last post by PandaCollector on Today at 01:49:29 AM »
Who is the distributor or promoter of this coin?   Send them a +1 from me, they really deserve credit for being ethical, pragmatic and not greedy.   I am sure you deserve some of the credit with your involvement.

The promoter is Stacks-Bowers & Ponterio and all through this project they have beem just as you said: ethical, pragmatic and not greedy.
The dealer price is just a few dollars below the public price. A dealer told me he paid $800 HK and I paid $835 as a visitor.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
The Gold & Silver Panda Coin Buyer’s Guide 3
www.pandacollector.com

I will still walk the first day of the show a few times a year, but not set up.  90%+ of my business is with other dealers or pre-arranged with collectors and can be concluded in one day.

Take the ANA for example, it is 5 day show or 7 days if you include the pre-show.  The cost of table is around $2000, hotel/car/parking is around $200/day and air $400, so rough total is $3400 plus 6 days of  you life.  If you could accomplish 90% of the transactions in 1 day walking around your cost is like $500 or 15% of what it costs to set up, plus you have 5 days of your life to do other things, like take pictures for ebay, play sport, start another business, volunteer, etc. 

Even the mainland dealers who come to buy only attend the setup day and 1st day of the show at Long Beach, you will never see them on Friday or Saturday. 
Chinese Panda Coins / Re: 2017 Hong Kong Coin Show medal
« Last post by KeyDate1/2ozPandas on Yesterday at 07:05:55 PM »
Who is the distributor or promoter of this coin?   Send them a +1 from me, they really deserve credit for being ethical, pragmatic and not greedy.   I am sure you deserve some of the credit with your involvement.

They nailed every important point for a show medal to be collectible:

1) using an official mint
2) having just one variety
3) low mintage
4) affordable price and available to everyone at the show
5) great design with well know artist

Some on the forum may object to collectors being able to buy just 1, while dealers getting up to 5.  I personally think that is reasonable as long as the price offered to both is the same, because the dealer are paying $2000+ for a table at the show, so if they make a few hundred flipping a couple of medals it not all that bad, because it give dealers an incentive to come back the following show to set up and gives them more foot traffic at their table. 
we are officially off topic now, but will you still attend the bigger domestic shows like long beach, or cease attending and just do business online?

Arif is not the only coin dealer who has abandoned setting up at coin shows, but still attends them. Adam Biagi is another example and I bump into many others at shows. "Where's your table I ask?" "I don't have one is the reply." Attendance at American shows, in general, is low enough that the shows are marginal business propositions. Tables are a major expense. They remain very useful for buying, less so for selling. Also, if a dealer ends up trading mostly with other dealers at a show, what's the point of having a table?

Asian coin shows, which are  often heavily attended, are a different story altogether.

I expect to see Arif at future coin shows as he walks the floor.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com
Chinese Panda Coins / 2017 Hong Kong Coin Show Panda
« Last post by PandaCollector on Yesterday at 06:35:38 PM »
The 2017 Hong Kong Coin Show Show Pandas were released here in HK yesterday. There is only one kind: 1 oz. silver and 40mm in diameter. Mintage is 500 pieces. Minted at the Shenyang Mint. The artist is Chang Huan. I will find out who the engraver is as soon as possible. The quality of this Show Panda is receiving high marks from everyone I spoke to about it at the show.

Here is a photo I took in my hotel room:

The price at the show is, I think, 830 HK Dollars. Table holders may buy up to 5 Show Pandas and much of the mintage has already been distributed that way. Visitors are limited to one Show Panda per person.

In all my discussions with dealers and collectors here I point out how fortunate I consider it to work with an artist of Ms. Chang's stature. Her authorship and the beauty of her designs is one of the main reasons that I think this issue is likely to be sought after by collectors in years to come. Practically all her work time is devoted to high level government projects and it is a special event for her to get leave to design an outside product.

Happy collecting to all.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Disclosure: I was closely involved in the design and production of the 2017 Hong Kong Coin Show Pandas. However, I have no financial interest in this other than owning three pieces, two of which I purchased at the show at the same price as any other visitor. The third is a gift from a dealer friend - COA number 44, haha. I also own one of the production samples which has no COA and is not considered part of the mintage.

Disclosure 2: If anyone is wondering, I was given special permission to purchase two of the Show Pandas. I plan to resell at least one to a friend on the mainland at the same price I paid for it.
For the last three years I have been reducing the volume (space required) of my collection, breaking up sets and keeping high numismatic items (premiums at least 50% above melt). 

Lately, I have decided setting up at shows is no longer a viable business model and will walk the talk and go to full online model for selling, which is why you are seeing more coins on ebay and my website.

Finally, with the supply of key date material dwindling in the US (except during April-May of this year, thanks to Goldsheet), I will start transitioning from 30% dealer/30% collector/40% investor to 10% dealer/30% collector/60% investor. 

we are officially off topic now, but will you still attend the bigger domestic shows like long beach, or cease attending and just do business online?
Buy, Sell & Trade / Re: Coming Soon: 2017 Valentine Pandas
« Last post by PandaCollector on Yesterday at 06:06:34 PM »
I will start a separate topic for the 2017 Hong Kong Coin Show medals. They deserve it.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com
Buy, Sell & Trade / Re: Some low grades and OMP for sale
« Last post by KeyDate1/2ozPandas on Yesterday at 04:27:57 PM »
Updated inventory. 

$90   1989 1/20 proof NGC PF68
$360 1990 1/4 proof NGC PF67 (3 available)
$420 1991 1/4 proof NGC PF68
$70   2008 1oz lunar rat prestige set medal NGC PF68

Add $10 for shipping.  US shipping address only. 
For the last three years I have been reducing the volume (space required) of my collection, breaking up sets and keeping high numismatic items (premiums at least 50% above melt). 

Lately, I have decided setting up at shows is no longer a viable business model and will walk the talk and go to full online model for selling, which is why you are seeing more coins on ebay and my website.

Finally, with the supply of key date material dwindling in the US (except during April-May of this year, thanks to Goldsheet), I will start transitioning from 30% dealer/30% collector/40% investor to 10% dealer/30% collector/60% investor. 
Buy, Sell & Trade / Re: Some low grades and OMP for sale
« Last post by hopeusw on Yesterday at 04:12:50 PM »
contacted and confirmed several
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10