Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
This is true. In this case I didn't observe huge marketing or hype behind this first issue of eight in the series.
Depends on how much a unit appreciates. In this case they have more than doubled in value as things stand. (Limited sales data)

Just on a general basis many hyped coins “do well” initially but after the excitement dies down and the market movers have taken their profits the price trajectory invariably moves sideways.
Modern Chinese Medals / Re: CATTE aluminum Feng Yunming set
« Last post by fwang2450 on Yesterday at 11:14:42 PM »
That cuni set of 35th Anniversary is Proof. Yours may be the MS version.
Modern Chinese Medals / Re: CATTE aluminum Feng Yunming set
« Last post by pandamonium on Yesterday at 09:40:06 PM »
I get some negative comments and positive too on why anyone would want to buy Feng Yunming medals.     I have little experience....Correct me if i am wrong..

Feng medals are crude...   Some are but his are not official mint, mostly National Arts and Crafts...
Feng medals are very early year of MCC.. This is important as at least one opinion says he is the Grandfather of medals.   
Feng medals are cheap....for now yes, but so were some circ coins, republic, empire, etc... until Mr Sun's book came out.
Feng medals are only collected by few... yes, but many of those collectors are highly experienced and do not post here.
Feng medals are plentiful....no, they are low pop especially the non 5 silver sets, non gold horse.  Not enough buyers yet..

It is a good gamble to buy when MCC are early year and unknown.   Look at the 1988 Brass Pandas that were cheap and unknown until studied and information was published.  By then most were in hands of knowledgeable collectors/dealers that cashed in.

See 1st photo of 1984  35th Anniversary 3 pc set cu ni.    Ebay 153179412307  $240.50  Sold   I bought one or two of these a few years ago for about $12 ea., maybe less.   Mr Sun's book changed the market.   They look crude to me and 200,000 + mintage??   The highest mintage for a Feng silver medal is 5,000...

The 17 gilt medals (photos in previous post) were just recently discovered in one stash.    A stash of about 100 pcs and most have been sold.    A few came up on ebay, i think i counted 7 since Fwang's translation blog in 2013.    There maybe more in the China market that pop up.   Several were basically unknown.    See photos 2 & 3 of a recent ebay sale 173528670396 Galloping Bronze Horse or Kansu horse that sold for $16.50 listed as imperfect.    This might be the rarest one.   

What the market needs is for Feng to be interviewed w/ other early artists like Chen Jian, Yi Shizhong & Sun Qiling if all are around and not pushing up daisies.   Feng's former neighbor Mr Yu Fuhui would also be a good contact.   I was told that some early year artists show up at coin shows.    Interview them together to jog each other's memories would be best.    Not only would we get info on Feng's contributions but maybe valuable info on the other early artists.   

In short Feng Yunming medals have potential, are undervalued, and some are rare.    All it will take is one publication or a few paragraphs probably on a Chinese coins site first, to turn the market around for his medals......

Depends on how much a unit appreciates. In this case they have more than doubled in value as things stand. (Limited sales data)
China Imperial & Republic / Re: 1911 China coin to see is to believe
« Last post by linlaujiou on Yesterday at 08:58:58 PM »
1.   為凸顯設計理念,刀鑿刻製鋼模造就的圖文暗記等邊際線條角度皆是深刻明確的。
2.   暗記是人為刻意設計造就含有智商成分的瑕疵,其存在常表現出無獨有偶的相對性、一致性、對照性,布局則隱含明示.暗示的善意提醒。
3.   幣面瑕疵成因的分析,究為先天設計造就,抑或後天磕碰劃戳等人為不經意或刻意造舊損傷,絕對有助於錢幣真假的判斷。
4.   錢幣外表的樣態,反映其存世歷經的滄桑,每枚真幣皆有其獨特的故事,它一如過往無私地對任何人坦白,靜待有心人去膫解。
5.   機制幣真假的辨識,有其一定的脈絡章法可依循,努力細部比對是研究錢幣唯一的捷徑。
Chinese Numismatic News, Articles, Books / Re: David Hall Leaves PCGS
« Last post by r3globe on Yesterday at 06:51:45 PM »
NGC should hire him!
Chinese Numismatic News, Articles, Books / Re: David Hall Leaves PCGS
« Last post by pandamonium on Yesterday at 06:32:09 PM »
Pandacollector;   What is David Hall's opinion on rare Chinese coins/medals?   Any insight?...
If stacking best to buy silver by the kilo bar. Less cost effective in smaller units.
I think I understand..

When a silver coin is ~3-10x over the metal value, I refer to it as semi-numismatic. That's just me.

Is there a point at which the 1 oz/30g/27g silver panda coins stop being bullion for you?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10