Author Topic: New Panda Commemorative for the Denver 2017 ANA World's Fair of Money  (Read 10018 times)

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: New Panda Commemorative for the Denver 2017 ANA World's Fair of Money
« Reply #75 on: July 18, 2017, 01:21:44 PM »
I agree numistacker that we all have the right to collect what we are addicted to.        It is good you are not concerned w/ making money w/ new issue, low mint medals because some are considered Souvenirs.       I really like all the new designs.     When i started collecting i chose new issue due to superior designs....
Since then i have chatted w/ many experts/dealers and have studied the early issues as you know.     Now i am a addict of early issue even the crude, low quality Feng medals.     Some characters on early issue have great importance in Chinese society so the history is very interesting.    The early issue will have a big move up in price that got my attention.   Also love to study the market and watch where prices/demand is going and post that on badon's site.      This collection market has something for everyone..... 
Do not have U tube and not on Facebook or social media.    (I refuse to even own a smart phone but have a landlocked one.)   Have contacted many authors of online articles concerning bullion/coins and asked them to study Chinese and possibly write a article.      We have 2 different angles of Chinese collecting exposure. 
To each their own but everyone must be warned that whatever Chinese you collect there is the strong possibility of addiction with out intervention.... 

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+47)
« Reply #76 on: July 18, 2017, 03:26:27 PM »
I have always made money so far except for two medals the Lohan and one other.

When you buy a medal of Lindsey Lohan's likeness, the expectation must be that it will lose money. I cannot believe the Chinese mints would allow something like that to be made. What does she have to do with pandas anyway?

Regarding your other points, of which there are many, I agree with them all. The goal of hobby or niche popularization is noble and it seems you're doing more than most of us here, who try to keep our collecting under the radar.

You know the warning and collect what you like. That is fine. We do worry about others who collect what they think will be stars but which, in reality may turn out to be crap (from a profit perspective).

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #77 on: July 18, 2017, 06:58:29 PM »
When you buy a medal of Lindsey Lohan's likeness, the expectation must be that it will lose money. I cannot believe the Chinese mints would allow something like that to be made. What does she have to do with pandas anyway?

Regarding your other points, of which there are many, I agree with them all. The goal of hobby or niche popularization is noble and it seems you're doing more than most of us here, who try to keep our collecting under the radar.

You know the warning and collect what you like. That is fine. We do worry about others who collect what they think will be stars but which, in reality may turn out to be crap (from a profit perspective).

Lol Mirkkanen!  N17

This is proof indeed that you don't collect medals. Lohan here refers not to the superstar but to the medal set with specs below:

Shanghai Mint 2014 Arhat Riding a Deer silver and brass medals. (18 Buddist Arhats/Lohans Series - Deer Rider Arhat)

You can see an image of this at thincat00's eBay sale page with the eBay ID: 181817173921

URL is:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/China-45mm-Medals-Set-18-Buddist-Arhats-Lohans-Series-Deer-Rider-Arhat-/181817173921?hash=item2a5525e7a1

KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #78 on: July 18, 2017, 09:07:28 PM »
Anyway we look at it, China owns the wealth and the gold.     Any coin/medal minted in China will rise in price, some more than others.     I am no purists but really like the early year medals/coins as most have a connection to China's fascinating history be it a famous person, art, revolution, etc......   

Offline numistacker

« Reply #79 on: July 19, 2017, 09:30:22 AM »

The Lindsey Lohan Panda - now that's a souvenir too far ))

I am very aware that lots happens under the radar but from what i can see this is a fragile market where sentiment can make or break perhaps more so than some other more mature areas. It needs and I think deserves more people and would make a rewarding field of collecting for more people.

Offline numistacker

« Reply #80 on: July 19, 2017, 09:37:50 AM »
I was listening to the Coin Week Podcast on my way to the office today. It made the point that there are two groups of Chinese Collectors - modern money and history buffs. The modern money is almost exclusively into large chunks of bullion and pandas sold by banks. The history buffs are into the old. My interest is the gray area where coins meet art. I have a nice collection of pandas and a fair few California Fractionals and Pre-33 gold. Both are expensive to accumulate. I like the modern china medal market because we are at the start of something new, its evolving, its playful, it has variety and it is finding its place. New mint techniques are being perfected and it reminds me of something close to my own hear the English Arts and Crafts Movement, Archibald Knox, CR Ashbee etc its a good thing that is happening and the best of what this era produces will be valued and the worst of it binned.

I am waiting for Modern Coin Mart to pay attention to this area and use professional marketing to expand the collector base from a few hundred (if that) to 10,000 or more.

Offline PandaWill

« Reply #81 on: July 19, 2017, 12:53:30 PM »
hey guys,

here are the 1st images from the Shanghai Mint of the silver Denver Panda commemoratives:

Offline numistacker

« Reply #82 on: July 20, 2017, 06:43:42 AM »
hey guys,

here are the 1st images from the Shanghai Mint of the silver Denver Panda commemoratives:

Is it me or does it look to you guys like a rush job.
It does not look to me like a thing of beauty like the ANA Anaheim Panda.

Does anyone know what ANA medal is actually issued by ANA when one opts for the medal as part of ANA Denver Registration?

Is this one or the other of these Panda medals or is there a separate ANA Denver medal that is not Panda related?

Offline 1003

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #83 on: July 20, 2017, 11:16:57 AM »
I am not a fan of the panda side design. Similar to 2001/02, but even worse.

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+47)
« Reply #84 on: July 20, 2017, 02:01:11 PM »
Didn't your moms teach you that if you don't have anything nice to say  . . . ?

Offline collectingcoins

« Reply #85 on: July 20, 2017, 02:04:22 PM »
Oh no!  I don't like the look of those at all.  I think I'll be cancelling my order. I'm sad. I was looking forward to holding this in my hand.  I may cancel and wait for the finished product to determine if I want it.  I'm debating it.  I will not be buying the one from modern coin mart due to the higher mintage amount.  I've been learning a lot about the panda coins here and picked up a book too.  So, maybe I should stick with those.  Thanks for posting the pictures.  I wonder why the Panda America version doesn't have the lamp?  Anyone know?

I just saw Mirkkanen's post.  I didn't mean to come across as not nice.  I don't think the other folks did either.  I think we are being honest?  Maybe they will look better when we can see the actual medal?  And we can share accordingly.  The pictures are not flattering, but maybe the real thing will be.

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #86 on: July 20, 2017, 05:02:56 PM »
I am not a fan of the panda side design. Similar to 2001/02, but even worse.

FWIW, the 2001/2002 Panda design won the Coin of the Year award as the world's best gold coin design.

I think it's worth pointing out that Chinese coins and medals are designed by individual artists, although sometimes two, or even three, artists can have a hand in a single issue. I'm pretty sure the 2017 ANA medals are by a different artist than the 2016 ones by Yu Min. The different styles reflect that.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
The Gold & Silver Panda Coin Buyer’s Guide 3
www.pandacollector.com

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #87 on: July 20, 2017, 07:06:17 PM »
I don't usually criticize coins and medals since taste and styles vary and it may not be well received by some as an objective statement.

It is also a slippery slope as already demonstrated elsewhere where competitors put down other's wares. I must immediately say that I am not impugning the motives of critics here. Absolutely not!

Maybe this is a coin whose features can only be discerned with accuracy either with better photography or in real life.

My interest is if the design similarities with a prior Panda coin means the same artist(s) did both of them. The bamboo design certainly looks close to the current design of the bullion Panda coins although that is not a bad thing in itself. Interestingly I can see the "Ge" Chinese character in the bamboo leaves!
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline numistacker

« Reply #88 on: July 21, 2017, 06:54:46 AM »
Just wanted to say that I had pre-ordered one set of these medals from PandaAmerica and I wont be cancelling my order. Perhaps the medals in hand will be better than the initial impression. How the Panda looks and the quality of the design often is disconnected with the success of the edition. With only 888 medals of each type i am sure that this one will sell out and there were those who thought that the Nanjing Panda 2015 with more than a passing resemblance to a Racoon might not succeed but it still sold out.

AS I have said previously and so have others - the sponsors of private edition medals (Show Pandas and other editions) need to show an element of restraint and focus on quality not quantity in order to grow the market. I certainly appreciate the comments made by Peter Anthony that each artist has a distinctive style and I am looking forward to getting my medals and seeing the quality for myself.

Offline collectingcoins

« Reply #89 on: July 21, 2017, 01:08:27 PM »
Thanks for all the input on this thread.  I'm sure these show pandas will look fine, but I decided against them. Instead I bought myself a 1 oz gold panda surprise from APMEX, and scored a 2008 panda.  Pictures to follow, probably after I grade.  Thanks again everyone.  Best of success to Panda America and Modern Coin Mart at the Denver show.