Author Topic: New Panda Commemorative for the Denver 2017 ANA World's Fair of Money  (Read 10044 times)

Offline collectingcoins

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: New Panda Commemorative for the Denver 2017 ANA World's Fair of Money
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2017, 08:56:49 AM »
Hmmm.  So what is the official show medal?  I'm confused.  Are these privately minted? 

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2017, 11:23:10 AM »
Nice medal.   How many new issue, low mint medals does that make for this year 2017?....

Offline collectingcoins

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2017, 11:32:18 AM »
I'm not sure, why do you ask?  Are there a lot?  I was confused by MCM's issue, and the one from PandaAmerica.  Are they both official show medals?  Is one preferred over the other?  5000 mintage for the MCM one?  That strikes me as a lot?

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2017, 01:40:56 PM »
Last year it was posted there were 22 new issue, low mint medals struck by the Mint.       Wonder how many will be struck this year?     I was told that China Mint will strike as many as there are paying customers.     I do not collect new issue, low mint medals.......

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2017, 01:47:54 PM »
Quite a lot of medals are being cranked out now by all sorts of entities. If the intention is to have low cost mementos of these meetings/conventions and other landmarks that's fine. But they are being pushed in some quarters albeit quietly as investment vehicles with the usual caveats. It is difficult to see how most of these medals will retain or grow their numismatic premium except possibly for a select few that cannot be easily identified at this stage. And the mark up on them does not make sense at times. Just an opinion from a medal collector!
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline 1003

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2017, 06:25:25 PM »
It is unusual both PandaAmerica and MCM are offering medals for the ANA with different designs, but all minted by Shanghai mint. MCM claims as the sole distributor in the article. I think the MCM design with the lamp looks more consistent with the 2016 ANA Anaheim issues. If there are two 1oz silver medals, one commissioned by PandaAmerica, one by MCM for a single show, that's too many. I do not consider it ethical for Shanghai mint to take both orders.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2017, 06:44:30 PM »
Hopefully it will bring attention to early year medals.     That is where the value will be in the long run.    Yes, i know the Chinese favor valuable coins over so so medals but in the past the opinion was the Chinese love OMP and would not grade.    Today they are grading so medal acceptance is in the cards.     Early year medals should become popular as the MCC market eventually breaks out again......

Offline collectingcoins

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2017, 11:26:25 PM »
This is very confusing.  I went back and tried to look at a year where there were two different types of Pandas at the same ANA show, I didn't find any? I'd have to imagine that they are both sanctioned by ANA, because they are using their name?  I wish I could be a fly on the wall at the conference to listen in on which one is more popular and preferred.  One has a mintage of 888 vs 5000 and $99.00 vs. ??  I'm going to hold off on making any purchases.  Thanks for sharing the links.

Online PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2017, 08:44:37 AM »
I think the MCM design with the lamp looks more consistent with the 2016 ANA Anaheim issues.

Good observation.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
The Gold & Silver Panda Coin Buyer’s Guide 3
www.pandacollector.com

Online PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2017, 08:50:31 AM »
This is very confusing.  I went back and tried to look at a year where there were two different types of Pandas at the same ANA show, I didn't find any? I'd have to imagine that they are both sanctioned by ANA, because they are using their name?  I wish I could be a fly on the wall at the conference to listen in on which one is more popular and preferred. 

A fly might hear many interesting conversations. Yes, both releases are official and from the Shanghai Mint. I think this will attract a lot of, hopefully good, attention in Denver.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
The Gold & Silver Panda Coin Buyer’s Guide 3
www.pandacollector.com

Offline bonke

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2017, 10:51:20 AM »
Peter

I noticed that one of the 2017 ANA medals has "SHANGHAI MINT" on the face of the medal.  Is this unusual?  I collect modern Chinese medals and I do not remember owning a medal with the mint name prominently displayed.  Any response or information will be appreciated.

Mark Bonke

ps. I remember all of the discussions about Small Date, Large Date, Large Date with serif, plastic sealing patterns, etc.  All of these discussions were attempts to determine the mint and to identify a variety.

Offline 1003

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2017, 11:19:19 AM »
Not unusual. The 2016 ANA Anaheim medals have those Chinese characters on the lamp side. The 2016 and 2017 world money issues also have that if you check the pictures. 

Offline 1003

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2017, 11:20:49 AM »
@bonke Perhaps you focus on early years medals.

Offline bonke

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2017, 12:27:38 PM »

Thank you for the information. 

Obviously, I have not been following the recent medal releases in any detail.  If I remember correctly, I bought the 2016 gold medal commemorating the new Hong Kong Coin Show, the 2016 bimetal medal & gold medals commemorating the coin show in Honolulu and the 2017 piefort gold medal commemorating the Berlin coin show.  I seem to focus on the design, condition and mintage.  Still, I am overwhelmed by the number of different medals commemorating coin shows in gold, silver, brass, copper, bi-metals, trim-metals, etc.  I could never collect all of them and, so, I seem to ignore many of the medals and the events which they are commemorating. 

Thanks again.

Mark Bonke

Offline PandaWill

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2017, 12:41:12 PM »
hi guys,

I should be getting the first sample of the ANA Denver Pandas later this week, or early next week. 

When I get a sample, I'll post it here so you can see the final finished product.  I am excited to see how it turns out!

I did just receive the boxes for the 30 gram Silver.  They came out nice; they have a white sleeve with the official ANA logo on it, along with the logo printed on a mint colored box.

Here is what they look like: