Author Topic: chinese lunar prices heating up  (Read 23137 times)

Offline davidt3251

• Trade Count: (+6)
Re: chinese lunar prices heating up
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2014, 10:28:51 PM »
ebay #121387762800, from Poland.

In your opinion, do you think it is fake?

Offline silverstar1

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2014, 11:17:00 PM »
The coin itself I think is authentic , the image seems digitized or something , but I wouldnt touch this given the seller has no real feedback, and apparently anyone can list items with any picture they want, the price seems about right but thats it .. 

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+14)
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2014, 06:48:46 AM »
David ,the coin is authentic ,but like what silverstar says the picture is suspect! the tiger and ox fakes have been around for a couple of years it was at least 18 month,s ago when i won one in an auction on e bay out of Russia (the one I sent to NGC ) I got lucky and my credit card company protected me (pay pal was pissed they ate it!) that seller is from Poland and these fakes (mine was an ox) are floating around there and are sure to resurface .MAYBE WG could re post those tiger pictures they where awesome? they clearly give you an idea of the quality of the counterfeit,If I am buying that coin today it would be graded or from a very well known dealer who has had it  directly from the mint like one of the big shanghai china dealers ,there prices are steep but they have authentic coins and will stand behind them

Offline aragog

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2014, 07:15:08 AM »
there is something with the fish` mouth that is easy to tell if the coin is quality copy or authentic

Offline wg

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2014, 07:34:28 AM »
jc888888888

weight fake 31,5 g

regards

Offline geoxxx

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2014, 11:52:58 AM »
The Chinese Colorized Lunars seem to be increasing rapidly in price 
Anyone know what is going on ?

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2014, 06:23:17 PM »
lack of supply .... I think those mintage figures even on the most common where never even closed to produced

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2014, 07:07:17 PM »
The Chinese Colorized Lunars seem to be increasing rapidly in price 
Anyone know what is going on ?
lack of supply .... I think those mintage figures even on the most common where never even closed to produced

Because they are now all unavailable, neatly stacked in wassergeist's closet?  ;)

http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=6487.msg39406#msg39406

Admittedly, I haven't been following the colorized lunars at all, and I have never owned one.  Having said that, there are so many bargains in other areas of the Chinese coin market right now, that I can't imagine paying such a massive premium for such coins.  I will definitely, however, be keeping an eye out for any that are for sale close to spot price in coin shops or pawn shops  :001_smile:

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2014, 07:10:57 PM »
WG,s stash  is just mind boggling every time a see anther photo!   brilliant!

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2014, 08:39:53 PM »
Admittedly, I haven't been following the colorized lunars at all, and I have never owned one.  Having said that, there are so many bargains in other areas of the Chinese coin market right now, that I can't imagine paying such a massive premium for such coins. 
A great strategy.  For me this is the time to look for the elusive varieties that's being sold cheaply!

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2014, 09:40:22 AM »

Low actual mintage even on new issue?     A past post said the China Mint has that information.   Will we ever know actual mintage? ......

Offline geoxxx

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2014, 12:48:55 PM »
It would be nice if Peter Anthony could cover lunars in his next edition

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2014, 07:21:57 PM »
Me too !! Peter??   I  will tell you my opinion ,these coins where made in very limited amounts  , the 2014 horse was sold out to dealers until the mint produced more the china mint produces limited amounts and takes pre orders ,no sales no production. can they go back and produce more ? I guess ?? ............ look on ebay colorized coins 2010 tiger ,2011 rabbit ,2012 dragon ,2014 horse  between 0 and 5 of each for sale, AT $1500 a pop for a colorized 2009 ox these coins would be all over for sale @ those levels if 100,000 or even 20% of that where produced......... there are way more 2002 G50y panda,s for sale than that ox at any given moment , BTW I am a buyer of colorized  2011 rabbits ,2012 dragons and 2014 horses if anyone want to sell graded or ungraded PM me if you have them for sale with prices ...........  OH THEORY NUMBER 2 WHICH IS VERY PLAUSIBLE ALSO WG is hoarding them all LOL

Offline silverstar1

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2014, 10:17:41 PM »
I have heard that the upsurge in the Chinese market for the newer lunar series coins is due to several large art markets that are now including these lunar coins and probably have alot of advertising associated with them. My personal opinion is that they are very nice looking coins both in design and shapes. I think with so many world mints producing Chinese zodiac or "lunar" coins in the past few years they have  really gained alot of interest in the world inside and outside of China, and it is only natural that people would want to collect the original coins from a country of the cultural origin. I would be like if many mints started producing the Moose or polar bear coins , still the Canadian version would be the most sought after. It is also a series that collectors can collect for 12 years with an end goal in sight but still a new design to look forward to each year . Further there is quite a few varieties with sizes and shapes but consistent and not too many too flood the market and turn collectors off. Not too sure about the mintage numbers it is an interesting point that they may not be correct but also if you consider what the collector base in China alone might be the mintages are rather small . I do note JC888.. s post though that the colored ox for example is getting so expensive that it would seem that if there were that many minted if they were spread out among collectors there would be many more available on the market .
I too would like to see Peter Anthony dedicate a section on the lunar series , that would be cool...
Halfway through the series now I really hope they keep the design and sizes consistent through the year of the rat for a nice completed set.