Author Topic: The Journey of the Chinese Classical Garden Series of Medals  (Read 169520 times)

andrewlee10

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: The Journey of the Chinese Classical Garden Series of Medals
« Reply #120 on: June 15, 2015, 09:39:53 PM »
Here is the design of the next medal in the series, Zhuozhengyuan (Humble Administrator's Garden) in Suzhou. Designed by Zhu Xihua and Quan Jianfeng, both from Shanghai Mint.

Both sides high relief ?

I personally prefer this than the current one. Hope the real medal as scratch design like this.

NO unify of theme and design element is existed for some series. It is pity. 

Online KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #121 on: June 15, 2015, 11:38:29 PM »
That is a good observation. One of the faults I find with this series is that each medal has its own design and style, with no unifying theme or design element. It is because the designers were all different, each with their own style and interpretation, and the series is experimental. Hopefully the merits of the individual medals can override this issue.

Perhaps, I may venture to say that this apparent disparity in interpretation and design may paradoxically turn out to be one of the strengths of the medal series. There is always a sensitivity about "commissioned" design work because artistic independence could be impaired. If different artists have been given the licence to interpret and design these medals then there is likely to be vigor and heterogeneity in the finished work and I believe the medals so far attest to that fact.

Moreover, none of the imperial gardens represented so far by the medals are similar to each other, until you start breaking the medals into their constituent elements. That's when you begin to see the similarities, from the use of water features to containment areas, structural elements from bridges to rooflines, arches, pillars and porticos, and the interplay between straight lines and curves. Chinese gardens are multifaceted and capture features in the particular environment where they are situated. Therefore the medals should not look the same on cursory examination.

We have to go past the issue of cost and associated politics and focus more on the art work and technical expertise demonstrated by all parties involved in the design and production of these medals. Art historians can give a better account of what I am trying to say. I believe there is a lot of good in what these medals represent. Kudos to the sponsors, designers and producers!
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #122 on: June 16, 2015, 12:52:29 AM »
Both sides high relief ?

I personally prefer this than the current one. Hope the real medal as scratch design like this.

NO unify of theme and design element is existed for some series. It is pity. 
There is so far no talk about high relief on Zhuozhengyuan. But I would not be surprised if one side is in high relief. As you can see from Zhu Xihua's large copper works, he is an expert on high relief.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #123 on: June 16, 2015, 08:02:39 AM »
Outstanding medals.   Are they private mint or official mint?..........

Online KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #124 on: June 16, 2015, 09:21:25 AM »
Outstanding medals.   Are they private mint or official mint?..........

"Official". By Shanghai Mint.

Online KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #125 on: June 19, 2015, 09:08:15 PM »
I wish to seek clarification of the packaging of the just released Mountain Resort Medals by Shanghai Mint. Someone tells me that only the antique silver and antique brass medals come in OMP while the silver and brass medals come only in the rigid coin holder with no pliable plastic seal.

To avoid confusion, OMP to me means coin or medal enclosed in a circular rigid plastic coin holder which in turn is enclosed in a square shaped pliable transparent plastic pouch sealed on all four edges.

Is this true? I also notice that the COA is written in Chinese characters only. I thought there was going to be an English translation too. Thanks for your input.

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #126 on: June 20, 2015, 12:21:23 AM »
I wish to seek clarification of the packaging of the just released Mountain Resort Medals by Shanghai Mint. Someone tells me that only the antique silver and antique brass medals come in OMP while the silver and brass medals come only in the rigid coin holder with no pliable plastic seal.

To avoid confusion, OMP to me means coin or medal enclosed in a circular rigid plastic coin holder which in turn is enclosed in a square shaped pliable transparent plastic pouch sealed on all four edges.

Is this true? I also notice that the COA is written in Chinese characters only. I thought there was going to be an English translation too. Thanks for your input.
I just confirmed with one of the sponsors. Here are  his responses:

1. The silver proof and brass proof versions follow the packaging of panda silver coins, thirty in a sheet. So individual medals do not have the pouch. This is largely because of the finding that the pouch was partly the cause of white spots. Summer Palace silver proof medals left in the pouch developed more spots than those cut out.

2. The COA is in Chinese, but the descriptions are trilingual, in Chinese, Japanese and English.

andrewlee10

« Reply #127 on: June 20, 2015, 12:29:50 AM »

1. The silver proof and brass proof versions follow the packaging of panda silver coins, thirty in a sheet. So individual medals do not have the pouch. This is largely because of the finding that the pouch was partly the cause of white spots. Summer Palace silver proof medals left in the pouch developed more spots than those cut out.

2. The COA is in Chinese, but the descriptions are trilingual, in Chinese, Japanese and English.

wow trilingual...good.

Frank will the slab out soon? I need one PF70 for silver

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #128 on: June 20, 2015, 12:38:17 AM »
wow trilingual...good.

Frank will the slab out soon? I need one PF70 for silver
The slabs are still with NGC.

Online KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #129 on: June 20, 2015, 01:23:11 AM »

Thanks for the clarification.

Online KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #130 on: June 21, 2015, 11:41:58 AM »
I agree the antique finish are great, excellent visual appeal.

I found a picture of 谐趣园 or Xiequyuan I took in 1982 with my old Pentax K1000.  It was late October so all lotus were dormant.
SANDAC, I took the same photo as you did from the same postion, 22 years later! I am trying to upload it, hopefully successfully. This is my first upload on CCF.

Online KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #131 on: June 21, 2015, 12:09:02 PM »
SANDAC, I took the same photo as you did from the same postion, 22 years later! I am trying to upload it, hopefully successfully. This is my first upload on CCF.

Other perspectives of the Summer Palace!

Online KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #132 on: June 21, 2015, 12:11:47 PM »
Other perspectives of the Summer Palace!

A few more photos of the Summer Palace!

Online KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #133 on: June 21, 2015, 01:03:38 PM »

Wrong mathematics, 32 years and not 22 years. The years are racing by. Ouch!

Offline PandaOrLunar

« Reply #134 on: June 21, 2015, 03:25:43 PM »
... years are racing by ...
That usually what happened what you are having fun. 

Nice pictures.  Thanks for uploading.  More pictures would definitely liven up CCF a bit.