Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Testing / Re: mini test
« Last post by Birdman on Today at 09:40:55 PM »
There hasn't been enough eye candy posted on this site recently.  Here is one of my purchases from this week  :001_smile:
Modern Chinese Coins / Re: WOW of the day
« Last post by ccl on Today at 09:21:16 PM »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/-/323305768339

I was the leading bidder until the final seconds, I thought I might sneak away with it for only $8k. Went for $9900 which I think was still a bargain.

The last recorded sale of the full set in PA's Pricepedia was back in 2010 for $72k! I know it's not worth nearly that much today, but still... wow!

Didn't bid because auction is bogus imo
Modern Chinese Coins / Re: WOW of the day
« Last post by eric on Today at 07:34:46 PM »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/-/323305768339

I was the leading bidder until the final seconds, I thought I might sneak away with it for only $8k. Went for $9900 which I think was still a bargain.

The last recorded sale of the full set in PA's Pricepedia was back in 2010 for $72k! I know it's not worth nearly that much today, but still... wow!

General Discussion / Re: Worst Chinese Coins/Medals to invest in
« Last post by eric on Today at 04:42:51 PM »
The ones that I would probably avoid from a purely investment standpoint are the proliferation of recent high mintage medals, especially those minted by non-official mints. As a panda collector, I'm still buying some of them because of FOMO (which is why they keep making more). Some of the coin show pandas have gotten ridiculous too, with so many varieties and minting more than they can sell at the show. I think the upside potential on a lot of those is pretty limited, because they're trying to make more profit up front. But IMO there are still some good medals being made too, with smaller mintages, good design, etc.

Some of the older coin show medals have proven that the scarcity factor can really kick in with collectors, such as 1988 Cincinnati ANA, and the 1990's Munich shows. But even though some of the new ones are small mintage in the range of 50-500, it seems they are watering down the market with too many options...  fractional silver, one ounce, bi-metallic, tri-metallic, copper, brass, etc.

It's easier for me to pass on some of the private mint medals being sponsored by one vendor. But as a collector I'm finding it very frustrating to see the amount of medals being given the "Official Panda Issue" designation, which means you "have" to have it for your collection to be complete. I feel like they've jumped the shark on that one and are burning out collectors which is not good for the market in the short term.
Modern Chinese Coins / Re: Canada has Pandas
« Last post by canadian on Today at 04:12:49 PM »
It is cute but too bad the panda is printed on and not stamped. Very small too.
Yes I agree.
Modern Chinese Coins / Re: Canada has Pandas
« Last post by eric on Today at 04:06:49 PM »
It is cute but too bad the panda is printed on and not stamped. Very small too.
Gov Mint says they are the sole distributor of the Prestige (Premium?) Gold Panda sets w/ Color Lunar Silvers.      They should know how many sets were purchased from China Mint.     These sets are in the West not the East.    Can someone else that has a Gov Mint connection please ask how many sets of each year were ordered and sold?     That maybe will give us a semi accurate actual mintage......
General Discussion / Re: Buy gold
« Last post by KeepOnTrying! on Yesterday at 10:05:38 AM »
My thought has always been that if you are able to go to the brick and mortar shops of our well known China based eBay sellers they should be able to mail items you buy from them in China to your home address. So you wouldn’t have to carry the items on your person. I haven’t heard of any problems receiving purchased eBay items from them.
China/Asia dealers/collectors once thought these Color Lunars had a huge supply in Germany.      Then members from Germany posted here and i asked German sellers, they all said rare in Germany.       I asked 2 dealers in China recently and they said rare in China and rare overall.     Now the Chinese/Asian admit they are rare.         About 4 yrs ago a expert told me he was buying these papercut lunars, then about 2 yrs ago they were graded.     The expert was right again as always.       Today the general conclusion is the Color Lunars are rare.    Gotta admit they are beauties and prices are very reasonable...
I bought a coin with inscriptions on the front and the back side, could translate and explain if it is of the time the inscription or not, and if it has any

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10