Author Topic: Third set of coins I need help with  (Read 2071 times)

BruceL

• Trade Count: (0)
Third set of coins I need help with
« on: September 11, 2010, 09:01:33 PM »
This should do it for now.  Thanks for any help!

Offline badon

Re: Third set of coins I need help with
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 09:15:19 PM »
The one in the upper left is holed in a pattern that indicates the coin was probably strung together with other coins in a necklace or bracelet. It could also have been attached to clothing, or worn by itself without any accompanying coins. Examination of the holes and edges would tell me more of the details, but that won't help identify the coin. However, I can say that even though I know very little about these coins (and I could be completely wrong), all of the coins I have seen that have been used as jewelry were actually reproductions.

Here's an interesting post by a previous member who had a coin like that:

http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=637.0

Maybe you could tell us more about how your father came to own these coins? If your father was a seasoned collector, maybe he spotted this holed coin as part of a jewelry set and rescued it. If he bought as a tourist, chances are very high that it would have been a reproduction. Sometimes, the origin of the coin is more helpful in distinguishing between genuine coins and fakes, since they were cast and it's easy to make an indistinguishable reproduction.

BruceL

Re: Third set of coins I need help with
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 09:46:50 PM »
My father was a coin collector all his life, from beginning as a pre-teenager until his death.  However, he mainly collected US and European coins and had the reference books for those.  Therefore, I do not know how he acquired these Chinese coins.  They could have been curiosities he picked up at flea markets or that friends or family members may have given him.