Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
I draw the line at 2010, any medal or coin issued after 2010 I am no longer keeping as part of my personal collection.  I still buy and sell some post 2011 medals if I trust the distributor will not dump into the market or rip people off before and during the show release.  As a general rule I only handle medals that were issued by US distributors, any distributed by Asia or Europe based distributors I completely avoid.
General Discussion / Re: Worst Chinese Coins/Medals to invest in
« Last post by KeepOnTrying! on Yesterday at 07:30:44 PM »
The most optimistic one can be of the medal market is to say that it is currently in flux. Early issue medals seem to be doing much better than recent issue, low mintage, multiple format privately sponsored medals.

Medals add a lot of welcome variety to a coin collection but as has been highlighted in posts elsewhere the sudden massive output of high cost medals in the last few years may have shaken collectors’ confidence in that genre. However, it is still possible for some of them to turn out to be gems in future.

My hope is that medal sponsors shall become more restrained in the number and variety of medals they output. Furthermore, the current front loaded large profit making approach needs to be changed to another model that shares in the fortunes of the medal product on a more long term basis.
Testing / Re: mini test
« Last post by KeepOnTrying! on Yesterday at 07:00:44 PM »
Pop 2 after 27 years is definitely future proofed. Congrats!
General Discussion / Re: Worst Chinese Coins/Medals to invest in
« Last post by pandamonium on Yesterday at 07:24:57 AM »
New issue low mint medals have gotten a lot of bad opinions/press.      I always promote early issue.     Years ago private mint vs official mint were black and white.    Today as more info comes out it seems to be a grey area.      Artists from official mints also work for private mints.      Could someone else please provide more info on this?       Some early issue private mint medals seem to have good demand now and are a good buy.     Early issue (private and official) will see more increased demand/price but information on all early issue is very hard to dig up.     A few years ago most ebay sellers/collectors all said coins.   Today the majority of them collect medals now too.....
Modern Chinese Coins / Re: WOW of the day
« Last post by eric on Yesterday at 07:18:54 AM »
1980 Olympic Silver Proof Piedfort Proof Coins Complete Set

When it takes you to that page, click the word "listing" in the message at the top that you just mentioned.

If it was bogus, they probably ripped the images and description from a prior auction on ebay or another marketplace. So there should be some record of it out there somewhere.
« Last post by mook on Yesterday at 06:43:59 AM »
 N31 Pop 2
No worries for long-term value
« Last post by PandaOrLunar on June 22, 2018, 11:41:50 PM »
What was the item?  The link gives "The listing you’re looking for is no longer available. Check out this similar item we found for you.".
« Last post by Birdman on June 22, 2018, 09:40:55 PM »
There hasn't been enough eye candy posted on this site recently.  Here is one of my purchases from this week  :001_smile:
« Last post by ccl on June 22, 2018, 09:21:16 PM »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/-/323305768339

I was the leading bidder until the final seconds, I thought I might sneak away with it for only $8k. Went for $9900 which I think was still a bargain.

The last recorded sale of the full set in PA's Pricepedia was back in 2010 for $72k! I know it's not worth nearly that much today, but still... wow!

Didn't bid because auction is bogus imo
« Last post by eric on June 22, 2018, 07:34:46 PM »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/-/323305768339

I was the leading bidder until the final seconds, I thought I might sneak away with it for only $8k. Went for $9900 which I think was still a bargain.

The last recorded sale of the full set in PA's Pricepedia was back in 2010 for $72k! I know it's not worth nearly that much today, but still... wow!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10