Author Topic: The value of scarce collectibles  (Read 1919 times)

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
The value of scarce collectibles
« on: October 05, 2016, 01:09:50 PM »
http://www.wsj.com/articles/you-shouldve-kept-your-mickey-mantle-cards-1475618712?cx_navSource=cx_picks&cx_tag=collabctx&cx_artPos=3#cxrecs_s

An interesting read regarding the value of certain scarce collectibles.  That a small piece of colored cardboard can be so sought after is intriguing.

Offline KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
Re: The value of scarce collectibles
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 11:43:34 PM »
I learned a lot from collecting sports cards from age 11-17, the key lesson was buy the superstar rookie cards in perfect condition, everything else dump as soon as you get it.  I remember selling hundreds of thousand of common player cards for a penny a piece to dealers and collectors at card shows, people couldn't understand why I would sell something that had book value of 5-10 cents for a penny, today 25 years later I would be lucky to sell those same cards at 1/100th of penny, but the good ones that I kept only went down 10-60%, not 99%. 

The lesson is own what collectors dream of owning and sell everything else.  For gold panda coins it is the key coins to sets, whether it is full 1oz-1/20oz set, a series set 1/10 or any yearly set, they are all coins that people will dream of owning, avoid everything else. 

Offline Hippanda

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 01:33:07 AM »
Valuable words from collectibles experience.

But does that translate to  buying a 1995 1/2 now at $20,000 will have a better percentage return, than buying say a 1991 1/2 @ $1400?

You earlier seemed to suggest otherwise about avoiding higher -bid up years and instead looking at under-valued years ?

http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=12498.0
"He who speaks without modesty will find it difficult to make his words good."

Confucius

Offline KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 01:45:36 AM »
The 1991 is clearly better.  The 1991 1/2 is key coin for 1991 set, while 95 1/2 is the key for complete 1-1/20 set and 1995 set.  Just like in cards there are many good choices and many bad choices. 

Offline Butch

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 09:33:11 PM »
I am into sports memorabilia, as well.  Glad to see it's still a worthy investment option.

Better than gold?  You have to be kidding me.

Offline Butch

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 12:12:54 PM »
For anyone into sports memorabilia, I was told cards maxed out; collectors are now going into actual game used items.  Yes, including dirty laundry.

I used to collect cards, too.  Could never understand the valuation when these cards were so mass produced at the time.

Offline ian@greatcollections.com

• Trade Count: (0)
    • GreatCollections Coin Auctions
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 10:58:42 PM »
The sports card market has gone through good times and bad - but in general, the very best sports cards have always done very well.  It's no different in art and coins - the very best usually always outperform over a long period of time.

With the Chinese coin market, I can see arguments that it's still very early in the scheme of things so there will be $1400 coins that turn into very expensive coins in the future - and even some expensive coins now that lag the market, since they moved so quickly.
Ian Russell
GreatCollections Coin Auctions
www.greatcollection.com