Author Topic: The Journey of the Chinese Classical Garden Series of Medals  (Read 165508 times)

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
Re: The Journey of the Chinese Classical Garden Series of Medals
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2014, 05:30:31 PM »
I am hearing there are possibly less than 10 PF-70 silver Yuanmingyuan due to the high relief and their price starts around $400.
Due to the experimental nature of these medals, they may not be perfectly minted. The Yuanmingyuan (Old Summer Palace) antique finish medal have quite a few 67s and 68s. NGC probably is still struggling with their proper grading. Personally I don't care much about the grades. The raw medals I have will remain ungraded, until NGC or PCGS comes up with a better slab. The current NGC slab hides the rim, making the piedfort medal look similar to regular thickness ones. It is a lot more fun to hold the medals in their capsule.

Offline dragonzeng168

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2014, 09:03:55 PM »
Regarding the Yuan Ming Yuan silver medal , i submited 3pcs for grading, two are NGC68,one NGC69, most of my friends, NGC68 more than NGC69, some NGC67, last night one friend sold one NGC69 at 220usd Around in China.
the 173usd definitely great price, as shipping cost should be around 15usd. take all of them if the price is real.very good buy

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2014, 01:22:32 AM »
Here is some more information provided by Lei Ting on the Chinese Classical Garden series.

1. Chinese Classical Garden I – Hill Admiring Hall in the Yuyuan Garden
(Yuyuan in Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yu_Garden)
The first ultra high relief silver medal minted by Shanghai Mint
Released by: Shanghai Mint
Year of release: 2010
Designer and engraver: Yu Min

Description: The Yuyuan Garden is one of the "Four Top National Cultural Markets." It is the only Ming Dynasty style garden in Shanghai, located in the Yuyuan Tourist Plaza, bordering the Town's God Temple. It is considered to be the best among the five top gardens in the lower Yangtze River Valley area. It embodies the Ming and Qing Dynasty classical garden style of condensing a large perspective into a limited space, characterized by architectural structures of complementing the realistic with the impressionistic, contrasting the big with the small, and alternating density with sparsity. The garden is a cultural site under special protection of the government, as well as a national 4A tourist site.

2. Chinese Classical Garden II – Lan Ting (Orchid Pavilion)
(Lan Ting in Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orchid_Pavilion_Gathering)
Year of release: 2013
Designer and engraver: Yu Min

Description: The obverse of the medal features the architecture of the Chinese classical garden, with the inscription "Charming beyond Description" by Liu Shutang, the Governor of Zhejiang in the Qing Dynasty. In the middle are paragraphs from the Preface to the Lan Ting Poem Collection written by Wang Xizhi. The reverse design imitates the ancient scene of floating wine cups along a winding stream around Lan Ting, engraved with the characters 曲水流觞 (floating wine cups along a winding stream) in the form of a seal by the reputed modern calligrapher Lei Yu, and the characters 兰亭 (Lan Ting - Orchid Pavilion) written by Emperor Kang Xi.

3. Chinese Classical Garden III – Summer Palace/Corridor, Summer Palace/Xiequyuan      
(Summer Palace in Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summer_Palace)
Year of release: 2014
Designers and engravers: Zhang Chunye, Dong Huizhen, Zhao Qiang (Rocky Zhao)

Description: It was the first time that the minting technology of double-side deep dish with high relief had ever been used on Chinese coins/medals. Summer Palace/Corridor has the long corridor in the Summer Palace on the obverse, and a panorama view of the Summer Palace on the reverse. Summer Palace/Xiequyuan has the landscape of Xuequyuan on the obverse and a panorama view of the Summer Palace on the reverse.

4. Chinese Classical Garden IV – Yuanmingyuan (Old Summer Palace)
(Yuanmingyuan in Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Summer_Palace)
Year of release: 2014
Designers and engravers: Zhang Chunye, Dong Huizhen, Zhao Qiang (Rocky Zhao)

Description: Yuanmingyuan in the Chinese Classical Garden series is not unlike "only after our repeated calls did she appear" (line from an ancient poem - translator). The medal is simply fabulous, with ultra high relief on a 40 mm surface. It is highly collectible.

The Yuanmingyuan medal can be characterized as "wonderful scenery with 12 lunar animals; western copperplate enhanced by Chinese fine brushwork; garden of all gardens, living only in memory."

andrewlee10

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2014, 11:26:36 PM »
I like the old summer palace very much. I only short the brass color. Might give up or source it at right price.

I prefer the Yuanmingyuan in OMP. NGC grading did put the high relief side at the back of the slab which is ugly. I have continue the slab since the first 3 bought by me were slab. Nonetheless, I keep the YMY in omp for one set.

Hi Wang,
I did show u post the mintage of the classical garden. Is that new issue after old summer palace ? Any issue date?

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2014, 12:16:16 AM »

Hi Wang,
I did show u post the mintage of the classical garden. Is that new issue after old summer palace ? Any issue date?

I am not sure of your question.

andrewlee10

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2014, 02:16:58 AM »
I am not sure of your question.

The imperial summer resort is the next medal after old summer palace?

Offline NBM

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2014, 03:10:34 AM »
Welcome to the forum andrewlee10.
andrewlee10 is a regular poster at SilverStackers Panda forum as well as at the Gold Club Asia forums.  :thumbup1:

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2014, 10:28:59 AM »
The imperial summer resort is the next medal after old summer palace?
Yes. That's right.

Offline NBM

• Supporter
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2014, 11:16:29 AM »
Still nothing from NGC on the Yuanmingyuan population?

andrewlee10

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2014, 10:19:06 PM »
Yes. That's right.

I have not heard any formal news from china about the imperial summer resort. Do you get any news or formal announcement?

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2014, 10:25:38 PM »
I have not heard any formal news from china about the imperial summer resort. Do you get any news or formal announcement?
There is a QQ group that discusses these Classical Garden series medals. The plaster models of the Imperial Summer Resort have already been sent to Shanghai Mint for production.

andrewlee10

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2014, 11:12:46 PM »
it seem both sides are high relief and look good.

andrewlee10

« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2014, 11:21:40 PM »
Here is the mintage info.

Xiequyuan silver around RMB 3300 before shipping. I have found one dealer seller.

Offline NBM

• Supporter
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2015, 01:03:07 AM »
Still nothing from NGC on the Yuanmingyuan population?
Finally...
Total Graded: 265 MS67-13, MS68-93, MS69-153, MS70-6.

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2015, 01:25:57 AM »
Finally...
Total Graded: 265 MS67-13, MS68-93, MS69-153, MS70-6.
MS should be PF.