Author Topic: New NGC modern Chinese coin and medal price guide  (Read 2691 times)

Offline Panda Express

• Trade Count: (0)
New NGC modern Chinese coin and medal price guide
« on: April 26, 2012, 08:59:08 PM »
NGC and PCGS are battling it out for the Modern Chinese Coin Market.  NGC's site has a new modern Chinese coin and medal price guide along with corresponding sample pictures of each coin.  They currently have a price guide for only Chinese panda coins and medals at this time.  Please check out their site.  The 2012 SICF medals are not currently listed; however, I did contact them regarding grading of these medals.  I should have an answer in the next few days.

http://www.ngccoin.com/priceguide/chinese-modern-coin-prices.aspx?ChineseCategoryID=1&subcat=Silver-Pandas-coin-prices

Offline fishball

• Pandawiki™
Re: New NGC modern Chinese coin and medal price guide
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 09:04:06 PM »
Thanks for posting. The bias is heavy on this guide... raw = 64 grade lol.

Currently looking for MS69 1oz Silver Pandas - feel free to PM me.
Also buying 1997 Hong Kong $1000 Gold Coin BOX + COA - please PM thank you.

Offline badon

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 09:07:07 PM »
I'm sure when somebody tells them about the Coin Compendium, they'll have to put their focus back on authentication and grading. In the long run, that will be good for everybody, since that's what they do best.

Offline Panda Express

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 09:07:59 PM »
I thought raw coins in the Modern Chinese Coin Market is equivalent to MS/PF 67 or 68.  Ebay prices roughly corresponds to these grades with the RAW coins advertised side by side.

Offline exchange

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 09:15:46 PM »
I thought raw coins in the Modern Chinese Coin Market is equivalent to MS/PF 67 or 68.  Ebay prices roughly corresponds to these grades with the RAW coins advertised side by side.

NGC is in the business of grading!  :001_smile:

exchange

Offline Panda Express

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 09:22:52 PM »
NGC is in the business of grading!  :001_smile:

exchange

NGC should have probably left out RAW coins for this site because the price can vary for each raw coin depending the quality and handling of the coin.  Additionally they are not in the business of pricing raw coins but certification of coins.

Offline comeaux

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 09:24:48 PM »
When someone has to rely on a grading company to tell you what your coins are worth ... just fold up shop  :laugh:

Offline Panda Halves

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 10:55:51 AM »
With all this price-guide mania I feel I must chime in on this one.
As much as I personally prefer NGC as a TPG... the PCGS Chinese price guide is currently more accurate, more user friendly, and most importantly breaks down the gold pandas by individual coin!
In my opinion...
Only isting five coin gold panda sets by their fully graded set value is a disservice to the community.
This pricing method is only valid if a person has a complete set in the same grade.
Individual coin prices within sets and even mixed grade set prices and values are nebulous with this system. This pricing method also masks which coins within the set are the key coins.
I can understand how catering to high-end investors and dealers who prefer to buy and sell complete matched graded sets has advantages.. but how about breaking down those individual prices for the average collector?
It seems that PCGS is being proactive and NGC is being reactive on this one. Hopefully, NGC will catch up soon divest these set prices into their individual components so that the majority of collectors will have something that is more user friendly.

I think the images and graphic representations and breakdowns of coin populations you get with NGC are very nice and the NGC guide has the potential to be far more informative and useful than the PCGS version, but not without individual coin prices.

PH

Offline badon

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 11:06:13 PM »
Actually, I think the reason for it is different. PCGS is catering to the mature Western market, where we value coins in sets on their individual merits. In the immature Eastern market, the buyers and available pricing data is very commonly only for sets. If NGC is relying on Eastern pricing data, then that would explain why they decided to price them in sets. Either way, pricing the coins individually, and by variety, is the way forward.

Offline marijn1974

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 11:15:53 PM »
The price guide probably also serves to give an impression how NGC prices the given coins and what they will charge for grading as, what I understood, the new rule is that they determine the price on what they think the fair marker ptice is.

Offline Panda Halves

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 11:29:08 PM »
Either way, pricing the coins individually, and by variety, is the way forward.

Agreed.
Re: reactive vs. proactive
The whole set based pricing system makes me think someone is being lazy and simply taking Chinese Jibi market prices and converting them to dollars and skweing the scale to reflect grade premium. That's the lazy way to do it. Anyone with a few moments and google translate + xe.com currency converter can do this function themselves.
No real value added with the gold panda prices.

Offline badon

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 12:03:44 AM »
Hah, I think that's a good guess Panda Halves. None of the prices are verifiable, so we have no way of determining for ourselves whether we should give meaning to them or not.