Author Topic: Macau Auction of #1 Commemorative Panda 2 oz Gold and Silver Medals  (Read 6642 times)

Offline Coinex

• Trade Count: (0)
    • ChineseCoins.com
This year’s Macau Numismatic Society Show has come to a climax with the sale of two 2014 Macau Numismatic Society Commemorative Show Panda 2 oz gold and silver medals on the 30th November. Presided over by Champion Auctioneers, the two medals, both bearing the coveted serial number #1, attracted a hefty premium. Competitive bidding for the gold piece from a range of bidders hailing from China, Singapore, and Macau itself pushed the final bid through the ceiling. The winning bid for the 2 oz gold medal reportedly stood at $43,700 USD, while the 2 oz silver medal fetched a more modest, but nonetheless impressive $24,150 USD.  Both prices listed include the buyer’s premium.

Struck at the Shanghai Mint, and featuring a design by the award-winning and most prolific...

https://www.chinesecoins.com/macau-auction-of-1-commemorative-panda-2-oz-gold-and-silver-medals/

Offline davidt3251

• Trade Count: (+6)
Re: Macau Auction of #1 Commemorative Panda 2 oz Gold and Silver Medals
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 10:46:41 PM »
This is non-news.

From a MCC collector's point of view, the more notable part of the auction (aside form the questionable price discovery record of Champion) is the poor performance of virtually every other MCC auctioned.

Usually, the results of a strong auction feature the results of more than just a couple of coins of the same pedigree, as was the case with this auction. If this were truly a strong auction there would be other well performing items. The fact is that many items were zero bid. Many other items sold for much less than they would have sold on ebay.

Champion Auction should borrow its motto from George Carlin. "Its a big club and you aint in it"

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 01:42:28 PM »
From my earlier posting: "Proceeds from the sale are being donated by Champion Auctions to the Macau Numismatic Society for educational programs." That's a $60,000 donation to promote research and interest in coin collecting. Nice.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia/i]
www.pandacollector.com

Offline davidt3251

• Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 02:07:51 PM »
That sounds so sweet. And could you please post the link to Macau Numismatic Society's audited financials, which I am sure are done by a top four global audit firm.

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 08:40:15 PM »
I have never donated $60,000 to a numismatic society. If I did, I wouldn't expect a large chunk of it to be spent on an audit. My hat is tipped to Champion for the donation. It is a fairly small auction house, but I think it is a leader in promoting numismatic awareness and eduction. The Macau donation sets a great example.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia/i]
www.pandacollector.com

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+14)
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 06:34:09 AM »
Anyone ever come up with where a person could acquire one of these silver show medals??

Offline bonke

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 08:58:11 AM »
I attended the 2014 Macau International Coin and Precious Metals Expo which was held in early December in Central Cotai at the Venetian convention center.  At this coin show, Champion Auction Company had a table and displayed the gold and silver medals which were issued the prior week for the local numismatic coin show.  Great design.  I did not talk to Michael Chou or anyone else at his table.  I was told by another US coin dealer that the medals were possibly available through Robert Mish, a well-known coin dealer in modern Chinese coins and medals.

I saw some other medals (bimetal brass/copper and bimetal silver/gold) commemorating the local numismatic coin show.  Apparently, these were being given (as gifts) to dealers who had participated in the local numismatic coin show.  These medals have a different design from the gold and silver medals auctioned by Champion.

Also, there are medals commemorating the international coin show (gold, silver and bimetal brass/copper).  The gold and silver medals were being sold.  The bimetal brass/copper medals were being given as gifts.

I purchased a gold and a silver medal commemoating the international coin show.  I was offered one of the bimetal brass/copper medals as a gift by one the well-known Chinese dealers in modern Chinese medals.

So, . . . . . . . the issuance and availability of medals for these two coin shows is complicated. 

Mark Bonke

Offline bonke

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 02:05:59 PM »
Correction

I have spent some time looking at the NGC census reports (and refreshing my memory).  I did see three different bimetallic medals at the Macau International coin show.  One was a silver and gold medal (1oz ag & 1.5gram au).  The second was a copper and brass medal.  Both of these commemorated the 2014 Hong Kong coin show and were given as gifts to participants.  The third was a copper and brass medal commemorating the 2014 Macau International coin show, and were given as gifts.  Sorry for any confusion caused by my prior entry.

Mark Bonke

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 09:51:29 PM »
so apparently there are none of these 2 oz medals talked about in the Nov,Dec pricipedia for sale?

Offline bonke

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 08:05:19 AM »
When I saw the display at the international coin show, I was told by one of the USA coin dealers that the 2oz medals may be available through Robert Mish.  He has a website with contact information.  If you contact him about these medals, please let us know the results.  I have not tried.  When I saw the high amounts paid for the #1 medals at the Champion auction, I realized these medals were beyond my means.  I collect modern Chinese medals.  I will not be collecting these particular medals.

Mark Bonke

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 09:26:06 PM »
Robert Mish has a small number of the Macau medals available. The ones at the show sold out.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia/i]
www.pandacollector.com

Offline Russ 736

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 09:45:39 PM »
I didn't realize that there were more medals being sold or made available at the Macao show other than the two types sold at the Champion sale. I just purchased a 2014  2 oz. silver Panda with the formula one racing scene on the obverse. I believe that it is one of the 1000 silver Panda medals produced for the show. I purchased it from a dealer in China with the knowledge that it had a small white spot on the Panda side.

Russ  

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2014, 08:16:23 AM »
Russ can you share the purchase price ??   pm?? if you would rather keep it confidential??

Offline bonke

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2014, 01:35:29 PM »
Russ

Congratulations! 

These medals have a great design.  With 2oz of silver and a small diameter, the designs are much more impressive.  I imagine they were difficult to strike, but the results are excellent.

I have many/several coins and medals in my collection with white spots.  I have accepted these white spots on silver coins (and red spots on gold coins) as normal imperfections associated with the production of modern Chinese coins and medals.  I wonder what will happen to these white spots with the passage of time.  Possibly, the white spots will become part of the normal toned surface and will fade away until they are no longer seen or no longer important.  As a collector, I will own my coins and medals for many, many years and will have the opportunity to answer this question for myself.

Again, congratulations!

Mark Bonke 

Offline Russ 736

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2014, 06:52:43 PM »
Thanks Mark,
                   The dealer indicated that all of these medals that he had seen had the white spots. He compared them to the 1st. Panda Expo medals that had the same problem. I own some of those that I had graded by NGC. I realize that 2 years is a short time in the life of a medal but mine have not changed in that time. I would hope that this medal will act the same way. This one was also minted at the Shanghai Mint so the cause might be similar. I really wish they ( the Shanghai Mint ) would solve this problem. It is a shame to spend the time, effort and money to make these beautiful medals and then have them " get " white spots.

Russ