Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Modern Chinese Coins / Re: WOW of the day
« Last post by KeyDate1/2ozPandas on Yesterday at 10:12:34 PM »
That is a hard thing to fix for free (mechanical error).  What I would do is send the 67 back in the holder as a regrade. 
« Last post by baron88 on Yesterday at 07:44:22 PM »
I once had two identical coins graded by NGC that I am pretty sure labels were switched by mistake when they encapsulated the coins. One came back 67 when it should be 69, while the other is 69 when it should be 68 at best.
« Last post by Clark Smith on Yesterday at 05:31:07 PM »
I have your 1995 PROOF panda right here !

(This one has to go back too....)
« Last post by KeyDate1/2ozPandas on Yesterday at 05:15:27 PM »
Funny you mention that.  I have bought one of these before in small date holder for $2850, it was on dealer website, they had pictured the proof coin, but listed the description as MS69 small date, at $2850 I figured even the small date at the time was worth $3000, while proof was $9000, so I played the lottery and few days later was happy with the result.  NGC mistake cost that dealer a few thousand, despite them probably paying melt for the coin from the seller.

I went to NGC price guide to see what their error would cost me if I didn't know the difference, the spread is about $5000 which is close to being correct, but the absolute prices are way off.  I guess Peter jumping ship to PCGS has really affected the quality of the price guide.  Part of me is glad to see low prices listed, it makes it easier to buy and for selling, I never look at price guides anyways.   
« Last post by Mirkkanen on Yesterday at 04:23:49 PM »
I'll pay you small date price for that coin. Thanks! :)
« Last post by KeyDate1/2ozPandas on Yesterday at 03:34:54 PM »
NGC grading label errors continue, 6th one in 2 months.  On an invoice of 10 coins at express $80/coin level, they made 2 label errors.  Both of the errors I told them about 3 days before the coins shipped and still they shipped with the incorrect label.  How can three graders mistake 1995 1oz gold panda proof PF69 for 1995 1oz gold panda small date MS69?   They are like just send it back and we will correct it for free, well that takes about 3 weeks round trip. 
« Last post by KeyDate1/2ozPandas on Yesterday at 02:41:01 PM »
The program is on and off over the years.  If banks have too many sets and not enough customers, they halt orders temporarily.  With the keyword being temporary.  I am long-term bullish so will I buy whenever good material becomes available and sell if I get more than I can keep.  When dealers don't have an outlet for their material, they tend to be less aggressive and I tend to be more aggressive.  When bids from China are strong I tend to be less aggressive and others tend to be more aggressive.   All I know is buying is very unpredictable as supply is very limited unless something triggers people to sell, death, taxes, recession, alternative investments, etc.

A lot of my coins end up in collectors and investors hands, because I mainly handle 69-70 coins.  The 67-68 almost all go to China, as I don't want to own those coins longer than opening one package to put them into another package.
« Last post by Birdman on Yesterday at 02:14:27 PM »
...The Master set program has been on hold...

Interesting, can you tell us more?...Reason for being put on hold?  Expected duration of the pause?  etc. 

I wonder what proportion of pandas that came on the market in a given month ended up heading to master sets vs being absorbed by collectors in various countries around the world?
« Last post by rosab2000 on Yesterday at 01:50:24 PM »
Has the Master Set program been suspended?  Can you confirm that?  So you are buying more pandas now?  It is still the case that there are only minimal goods here in Germany and if the price is exorbitantly high, nobody buys because it is above pricepedia prices.

Very nice coins @keydate  :drool:
« Last post by KeyDate1/2ozPandas on Yesterday at 01:46:42 PM »
There is a lot of panda material still coming out.  The Master set program has been on hold which has prompted many dealers to cut bids on coins, but I sold so much inventory in July-October that I am eager to buy at old prices.  I was in Cancun last 9 days and was sending out echecks almost daily for coins.   Also, long delays at NGC plus shipping delays have caused many dealers to reconsider submitting coins and rather just flip and move on.  I hope this latest virus scare brings sellers out that are panicking before the next leg up in metal prices.   I bought a monkey last week that just arrived today, I haven't held one of these in 10 years.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10