Introductions / Re: Introduction
« Last post by Alogzasud on Today at 02:38:11 AM »
Very pretty
China Imperial & Republic / Re: Unearthed
« Last post by Alogzasud on Today at 02:36:59 AM »
What is the medal of the country?
Identification Help / Re: Two storks
« Last post by pandamonium on Yesterday at 07:27:18 AM »
Bank note engraving.     Have seen a few for sale about 2 yrs ago.    Rare?  Common?   Value?....

Sun Yat Sen  banknote engraving      -bid-           Ebay 372469671153.....Seller has others....
What is the NGC and PCGS total pop for these Great Walls?.......
1984 PF 67  Great Wall                   -bid-                      Ebay 292769153379...
China Imperial & Republic / Re: 1911 China coin to see is to believe
« Last post by linlaujiou on October 14, 2018, 10:07:36 PM »
1934中華蘇維埃共和國川陝省造幣廠造壹圓銀幣截圖
1.附圖A版截圖中此幣種防偽共同暗記何處有?
2.先考驗眼力,B版截圖對照……另補。
3.遙想當年紅色政權第五次反圍剿人力物力維艱,紅軍幣發行照樣設有防偽共同暗記。
For modern Chinese gold and silver PCGS slab cause coins to tone faster and make them very unattractive.  Maybe the airtight holders trap the contamination and destroy coins quicker than if the holder allowed the coins to breathe.
Modern Chinese Medals / Re: Great Wall 1984 3.3 oz. Silver Medal - Two Versions
« Last post by KeepOnTrying! on October 14, 2018, 09:29:21 PM »
Thanks for the interesting info.

I've only submitted coins and medals to NGC because I don't want to pay for membership to more than 1 grading firm and NGC has, in my view, done a good job for me.

The 1 thing that PCGS may currently have going better than NGC (but that will likely change) is PCGS's virtually air tight holders. For preservation over the long term, this seems to be a big plus.....though I do wonder how long the actual plastic of the holders remains viable before it starts to decay, crack, and disintegrate.

Aren't PCGS's slabs supposed to the more problematic ones or have they introduced better quality slabs? Just asking for clarification.
Modern Chinese Medals / Re: Great Wall 1984 3.3 oz. Silver Medal - Two Versions
« Last post by mmissinglink on October 14, 2018, 09:06:56 PM »
Thanks for the interesting info.

I've only submitted coins and medals to NGC because I don't want to pay for membership to more than 1 grading firm and NGC has, in my view, done a good job for me.

The 1 thing that PCGS may currently have going better than NGC (but that will likely change) is PCGS's virtually air tight holders. For preservation over the long term, this seems to be a big plus.....though I do wonder how long the actual plastic of the holders remains viable before it starts to decay, crack, and disintegrate.
Grading companies aren't perfect, even NGC and PCGS make many mistakes, however, in almost all cases they stand by their mistake and refund you the market value of the coin. 

Back in 2009-2011 PCGS was slabbing many counterfeit 2000 1oz silver mirror coins and imperial coins, their graders didn't know what to look for and worse it was taking 2-3 months to get coins graded because they were so short staffed.  In 2011 they arbitrarily decided the maximum coverage for PCGS holder Chinese coins were limited to $1000, while their expensive secure plus service which was $45/coin the guaranty was unlimited.  That was the turning point when PCGS coins went from trading at 10% premium to NGC to years laters NGC trading at 10% premium to PCGS.  Today I believe PCGS is back to unlimited guarantee on all PCGS coins, but for 1-2 years it was dicey. 

NGC mistakes have been less harmful, confusing 1992 LD for SD or vice versa for 5-7 years.  I had 50+ slabs incorrectly labeled and it took years for them to fix.  Overall NGC is 9 out 10 in my book, while PCGS is 6 out 10.  I think most collectors and dealers agree that NGC provides a better product with lower price and quick turnaround.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10