Author Topic: Shilling Bid?  (Read 2252 times)

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
Re: Shilling Bid?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 10:46:24 PM »
He/she is the winner of 130633294366. I don't see how that is shill bidding.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
http://www.pandacollector.com

Offline Batman

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 10:51:47 PM »
The bidder won all the items bid on.  No shill there, just smart bidding.

Offline PandaOrLunar

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 10:57:25 PM »
Small feedback with multiple bids only on one seller.

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 11:09:45 PM »
The seller has a long, long track record, and all the bids are for the same type of coin. I would guess the bidder likes the prices and wants to buy multiples. He has the first one sewed up. Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men, but this doesn't strike me as odd. These coins are selling for $220 each in China and here they are going for that, or less, already graded 69 or 70. I think these are really cheap, and just before New Year, too.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
http://www.pandacollector.com

Offline Honus

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
    • Anvil Fine Wares
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 06:08:12 AM »
Small feedback - everyone has to start somewhere

Multiple bids - I call this reinforcement bidding...even after you place the high bid on an item and publicly become the leader on an auction, you place additional bids to reinforce your position in case you anticipate the possibility of not being able to watch the end of the auction and/or to "scare away" other people who are bidding who might see your multiple bids and assume you're willing to go much higher so they bail out prematurely

One seller - I've had this happen to me, someone will win one of my coin auctions, receive it and be happy and they subsequently lock onto all my auctions and end up bidding on everything over the course of a few days or a week

This looks legitimate to me too.
Eric Liquori
Anvil Fine Wares
www.anvilfinewares.com

Offline PandaOrLunar

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 02:40:18 PM »
If legit, then that is why the "?".  This bidder started with 0 retraction, now has 6 retractions. 

People know my stand on bid retraction.  If you do not know what you are paying, stay out of the game and watch on the side line.  Else commit to your price.  By not committing, you are creating hassle for the seller and other bidders.  As a seller and buyer myself, I know that sometime bidder get caught up in the moment.  But if I see a history of retraction, I cancel their bid.

Over the years, I seems my fair shares of bidders and sellers doing questionable activity.

Want to throw out there that I bought from this seller multiple times spanning multiple years and no issue. 

It always pi$$ed me off when you just sensed that a bidder will retracted and corrupting the intent of the whole fair game bidding process.

Ok, I'm off of my soap box of the moment.

Offline Pandana

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 03:41:49 PM »
Maybe someone need to correct the title of this post tobe :"Shrilled Bid"

Offline Pandana

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 03:49:41 PM »
Something is not panning out here.  Looking at the seller's feedback, saw none for all the China Dragon coins sold.  What's up???

Offline Pandana

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 03:59:33 PM »

Sorry - Shill is correct

Offline Honus

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
    • Anvil Fine Wares
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 04:07:18 PM »
Lack of feedback doesn't mean anything.  I'm a Powerseller myself, and I think my feedback-received rate is probably down to only 25-30% of all auctions.  I've talked to my eBay rep about this, and she says they're seeing this across the board - buyers are just not leaving feedback anymore, and most sellers are seeing dramatic declines in the rate of feedback received.  They're not sure what's causing the lack of interest on the part of buyers in leaving feedback, but it's system-wide.

My theory is that the feedback system was badly devalued when eBay eliminated negative feedback from sellers to buyers, and we're now seeing the long-term result of this.  When eBay eliminated sellers' ability to leave negative feedback, it meant that eventually all buyers were going to have 100% positive feedback, and to a large degree all buyers were going to look the same.  It's like if a teacher in a class is only allowed to give students an "A" grade, whether they pass the test or fail the test.  You couldn't tell the good students apart from the bad students.  That's the situation now - we can't tell the good buyers from the bad ones (who don't pay, for example), so all buyers look alike.  Buyers know this, and getting feedback from sellers doesn't mean that much anymore, because no matter what they do they're going to get a positive.  It doesn't mean much to get feedback, so I think many have also stopped leaving feedback and just don't care about feedback altogether. 

The point being in this case, don't judge the seller or buyer based on lack of feedback, because many buyers don't leave feedback at all anymore.
Eric Liquori
Anvil Fine Wares
www.anvilfinewares.com

Offline Pandana

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 04:26:07 PM »
The point is there is none feedback for all the sold China dragon coins - just strange !!!

Agree that in this case, feedback may not be an indicator, it's just strange ...

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 12:30:30 AM »
I will not be suprised if this buyer is a dealer from China. Current price for raw color dragon is about $220 inside China. For PR69, it will be at least $250 and nobody inside China has graded dragon yet.