Author Topic: What will Dragons do, when Rabbits didn't!  (Read 5334 times)

Offline Pandora

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
What will Dragons do, when Rabbits didn't!
« on: September 06, 2011, 07:51:31 PM »
As 2012 comes nearer, I hear more and more of the Dragon Langoliers - pronouncing the eventual impending incredible surge in the demand and prices in 2012 for the old and new Dragon coins in special and for the lunar coins in general...

What would and could Dragon Year do for Lunar coins in 2012 - when the Rabbit Year failed to do any in 2011?

Offline dragonfan

Re: What will Dragons do, when Rabbits didn't!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 08:08:08 PM »
The theme! Dragon is a mythical creature fascinating both East and West worlds...in general. IMO, the Dragon issue will bring a massive demand
for PRC coins...a second 2009 Ox... (Bull) IMO
As 2012 comes nearer, I hear more and more of the Dragon Langoliers - pronouncing the eventual impending incredible surge in the demand and prices in 2012 for the old and new Dragon coins in special and for the lunar coins in general...

What would and could Dragon Year do for Lunar coins in 2012 - when the Rabbit Year failed to do any in 2011?

Offline Straitssettlementshop

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 12:54:32 AM »
First the Lunar coins will surge and thereafter follow by the others

Offline haze

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 07:21:26 AM »
I've been stocking up on dragon related coins lately in hopes prices go up. I haven't seen anything happen yet. We will see though. Dragon is an important figure in Chinese culture, but do buyers/collectors/investors in America really care about Dragons that much, it's hard to say and only time will tell.

Offline exchange

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 08:19:24 AM »
I've been stocking up on dragon related coins lately in hopes prices go up. I haven't seen anything happen yet. We will see though. Dragon is an important figure in Chinese culture, but do buyers/collectors/investors in America really care about Dragons that much, it's hard to say and only time will tell.

With a very large Chinese community in the U.S. alone, the Dragon has good potential. I have noticed that the Chinese from mainland China don't seem to be to much interested in the Australian Lunar coins when themselves have the same coins. ( I don't have any facts on this, just going by the availability of the coins which seem to be available more often than not).

Another potential issue would be with the mintage. I believe it is currently set at 30,000 but I would not be surprised if they increase it due to the demand.

sincerely,
exchange

Offline dragonfan

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 08:10:36 PM »
Excellent observation exchange! You point out the Chinese cultural deficit vs the US... now Chinese people are fascinated by the American dream..., but soon we could be more facinated by their deep and rich cultural heritage, witch could be hard to compete!? Future mintage for lunar issue is a key.

Offline dragonfan

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 08:44:59 PM »
Hi Straitssettlementshop I agree!
First the Lunar coins will surge and thereafter follow by the others

Offline Nobleone

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 11:43:32 PM »
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon 2000 movie is all the proof I need that Americans will like lunar coins with Dragons and Tigers.  I believe the Chinese are already aware of the significants of Dragons and Tigers.   

Offline adamc4

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 11:58:07 PM »
I honestly don't watch the lunar coins that much but I would venture to expect the appreciation in these coins will be muted because dealers/collectors have been front running these coins for a while. It's sort of like buying the rumor and selling the news in the stock market... anticipation of an event is gradually built into the price. I'll probably be proven wrong and I do hope people here make a bunch of money off of these coins.

P.S. Little talk about the Dragon & Horse... I'd much rather own it than the Dragon & Phoenix.

Offline Panda Halves

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 12:04:18 AM »
Dragons will rampage in bearing claws and gnashing teeth gobbling up record price after record price.
The perfect precursor to the Panda's 30th Anniversary.

Offline Pandora

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 01:53:41 AM »
I think the Dragon Mania will peak with the Chinese New Year in December. Do we do Christmas shopping in October? Gold Dragon coins are going to be in serious short supply, when chinese people scramble for them for gifts! The 2012 issue supply will vanish in instant, at very high prices, lifting 1988 and 2000 issues prices along with it.

Offline aragog

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 02:38:22 AM »
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon 2000 movie is all the proof I need that Americans will like lunar coins with Dragons and Tigers.  I believe the Chinese are already aware of the significants of Dragons and Tigers.   
First of all, you cannot put Tiger and Dragon in the same line. As far as I am aware in chinese culture Tigers are considered somewhat more negative and feared. And even people born in Tiger year have poor predictions. And Dragon is absolute opposite, admired and beloved

Offline dragonfan

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 03:54:25 AM »
Mr Xu add a note for the following listing (unusual from him):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/China-1988-1oz-gold-Coin-Lunar-dragon-/270799289282?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f0ce53bc2
I honestly don't watch the lunar coins that much but I would venture to expect the appreciation in these coins will be muted because dealers/collectors have been front running these coins for a while. It's sort of like buying the rumor and selling the news in the stock market... anticipation of an event is gradually built into the price. I'll probably be proven wrong and I do hope people here make a bunch of money off of these coins.

P.S. Little talk about the Dragon & Horse... I'd much rather own it than the Dragon & Phoenix.
I think the Dragon Mania will peak with the Chinese New Year in December. Do we do Christmas shopping in October? Gold Dragon coins are going to be in serious short supply, when chinese people scramble for them for gifts! The 2012 issue supply will vanish in instant, at very high prices, lifting 1988 and 2000 issues prices along with it.

Offline dragonfan

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 05:27:44 AM »
Here another fact that show demand could increase for Dragons and Cultural themed coins in general in a near future, it could be time to buy the Rabbits too.. specially the previous years
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2010-05/30/content_9908342.htm
Excellent observation exchange! You point out the Chinese cultural deficit vs the US... now Chinese people are fascinated by the American dream..., but soon we could be more facinated by their deep and rich cultural heritage, witch could be hard to compete!? Future mintage for lunar issue is a key.
With a very large Chinese community in the U.S. alone, the Dragon has good potential. I have noticed that the Chinese from mainland China don't seem to be to much interested in the Australian Lunar coins when themselves have the same coins. ( I don't have any facts on this, just going by the availability of the coins which seem to be available more often than not).

Another potential issue would be with the mintage. I believe it is currently set at 30,000 but I would not be surprised if they increase it due to the demand.

sincerely,
exchange

Offline BChung

• Trade Count: (+3)
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2011, 06:07:29 AM »
First of all, you cannot put Tiger and Dragon in the same line. As far as I am aware in chinese culture Tigers are considered somewhat more negative and feared. And even people born in Tiger year have poor predictions. And Dragon is absolute opposite, admired and beloved

Incorrect. Tiger to Chinese means courageous, honesty, protector, wisdom (ability to plan and see far in the future like many of us here), honorable, energetic,  but stubborn & arrogant. It can also mean strong willed / minded (in a good and bad way).

Tigers "stuff" are put at home as protectors of Loved ones. Pretty much just like why modern day chinese buy Mao Emblems for superstitious protection, they simply their fierceness of the Tiger and Mao will scare all evil and bad things away....

Offline buynicething

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2011, 02:33:25 PM »
Dragons of all countries will sell very well.  By the end of the year, and even right away profits will be realized.  Buy all the dragons with mintage caps and reasonable price over spot that you can.

Offline aragog

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2011, 02:37:30 PM »
Incorrect. Tiger to Chinese means courageous, honesty, protector, wisdom (ability to plan and see far in the future like many of us here), honorable, energetic,  but stubborn & arrogant. It can also mean strong willed / minded (in a good and bad way).

Tigers "stuff" are put at home as protectors of Loved ones. Pretty much just like why modern day chinese buy Mao Emblems for superstitious protection, they simply their fierceness of the Tiger and Mao will scare all evil and bad things away....

Thanks for clarifying on that one, glad to hear it

Offline buynicething

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2011, 02:40:11 PM »
One reason for this dragons have a much wider appeal than just the lunar series base.  There are many people who collect dragons, and not the lunar series.  I am one of these people.  I find the lunar series very boring, but dragons are on a whole other level.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2011, 03:22:26 PM »
buynicethings:  Could you be specific and name the dragon coins and year?  Would be of great help to new collectors. .....

Offline aragog

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2011, 04:01:42 PM »
there were only two years for PRC coins so far: 1988 and 2000, both look magnificient, unfortunately I don`t have any yet. In a month we will know the design, can`t wait.
I like dinos coins of 1995 as well.

Offline dragonfan

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2011, 04:33:24 PM »
The 1988 Dragon 1oz gold could also be attractice for theses reasons:
The next "1oz gold" lunar Dragon "could" be issue in 2024...None has been issue
in 2000 and no plan for 2012; a span of 36 years minimum! A popular theme (and weight) both worlds. Less than 2.5 over spot.  Mintage: 10k. A rare twin Dragons design. And a gorgeous piece of art.
One reason for this dragons have a much wider appeal than just the lunar series base.  There are many people who collect dragons, and not the lunar series.  I am one of these people.  I find the lunar series very boring, but dragons are on a whole other level.

Offline buynicething

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2011, 06:10:55 PM »
Try all one oz Perth mint dragons, although I believe they may already be sold out.  Royal Australian mint has proof with 10k mintage for 54usd.  I believe this is a good buy, but not as good as Perth.  I would not recommend the royal Canadian mint issue very expensive.  Their lotus coin is very beautiful though.  Singapore has excellent dragon medals, but USA shipping is around $50. 
I am not sure of any other countries yet.  Some may be very hard to secure especially at reasonable prices because they will have to be purchased through middle men like panda America.  Sorry iPhone response

Offline BChung

• Trade Count: (+3)
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2011, 09:46:16 PM »
Tigers and Dragons will always be Arch Enemies, and Tiger will always be the underdog....... I collect Tigers as its one of my favorite animal.

Despite being the most popular series in the Chinese Market, I have to agree to someone mentioning that its kind of boring.... I also find the new Lunar series not that pretty and lacking in Chinese cultural artistic taste. Eg. the 1998 Tiger series is just out right beautiful, the 2010 Tiger looks like some transformer toy package design, which I have to say I find it very disappointing.

Offline ghostrider80811

• Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2011, 11:52:11 AM »
Yeah, the Perth Mint Dragon Proofs are sold out.  I waited patiently for them but came across too many obstacles so decided to purchase other Chinese coins and silver bullion instead since I had a hard time acquiring them.  Ohh well, just gives me more ammo for the Chinese Dragon due out in Dec of this year but I fear we shall see HUGE premiums for them if the Perth Mint Dragons are any indication, cheers. 

Offline Obsidian

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2011, 11:57:31 PM »

Despite being the most popular series in the Chinese Market, I have to agree to someone mentioning that its kind of boring.... I also find the new Lunar series not that pretty and lacking in Chinese cultural artistic taste. Eg. the 1998 Tiger series is just out right beautiful, the 2010 Tiger looks like some transformer toy package design, which I have to say I find it very disappointing.

The lunar series that I actually really like are the scallop 1/2 gold and 2/3 oz silver lunar series from 93-2004.  Mintage was only 2300 for gold and 6800 for silver. At first I wasn't sure about the shape, but in hand the scallop shape is really quite beautiful (a lot better than the fan, blah!) I also really like the different pagodas on the back. This is much more attractive than the plain backs of the 88-99 series.  I just wish they hadn't mixed things up in 2002 when they went to the 1 oz.