Author Topic: 2nd Scallop Series vs 1st Fan Series  (Read 3856 times)

Offline chinesecoinworks

• Trade Count: (0)
2nd Scallop Series vs 1st Fan Series
« on: June 09, 2009, 06:31:10 PM »
Collectors of Lunar Series,

As a beginner to Chinese Modern Coins, I'd like to hear your views on these 2 Series. I'd love to collect both sets but as always, resources are limited.

The 2nd Scallop or Flower Series begin in 2005 so it seems to be easier to catch up for someone who just got started. has slightly lower mintage of 60,000 and its a proof coin. Is it because it is a newer series, the price have yet to catch up? The Rooster, Dog, Pig, Rat is around prices of $58, $59, $68, $68 respectively. A sign that it is less in demand? Besides, IMHO, the obverse is really ugly especially the Rat.

The 1st Fan Series begun in 2000, higher mintage of 66,000. Take away the Horse, the Dragon, Snake, Dog have gone beyond $100. So is it due to demand or cos it has been around for 10 years? But I definitely like the Great Wall better and like most 1st Edition of collectibles, it should worth more down the years?

Like someone in PCGS Board mentioned, there's no way to predict which set would soar in value and doing it is like punting on stocks. I should just buy what I like.  :laugh: But still, I would like to hear you!

Offline xinkid

Re: 2nd Scallop Series vs 1st Fan Series
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 05:53:35 PM »
I am also starting to take interest in the fan and flower shaped series.  I have collected all the fan series so far.

My personal take on the new flower series is it started in 2001 when the fineness, weight and obverse design pattern changed.

I was surprised to see on PandaAmerica that in 2003, the flower shaped goat was issued at $68, the fan at $55.  So far they haven't appreciated at all despite the price of silver having quadrupled since then.  The horse is another story.

I am just collecting for fun so starting at 2001 is just fine for me.  My reasoning being if you start with 2005, you would have to pay through the nose by the time silver goes over $200 by 2017 but that may make sense if you're in for speculation.

Offline chinesecoinworks

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 05:49:42 PM »
I am also starting to take interest in the fan and flower shaped series.  I have collected all the fan series so far.
That's great. When did you start your fan series? Did you have to pay a lot for the horse? I'm still missing the dog, snake and horse. Not willing to pay that much though.

My personal take on the new flower series is it started in 2001 when the fineness, weight and obverse design pattern changed.

The Chinese Lunar Series is really a pain to keep track. In 2001, the fineness and weight were changed but the obverse design theme was still buildings and its mintage was 6,800 like previous years. In 2003, the obverse design theme changed but mintage still remained. It was only in 2005 that had the same theme as 2003 while mintage jumped to 60,000. So $68 for 2003 flower-shaped sheep, I would consider quite cheap.

Offline xinkid

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 03:59:28 PM »
Tell me where can you buy a flower shaped sheep for $68?  I'm looking to buy one.  ;)

I paid a lot for the fan shaped horse, around $340.  I'm not in it for investment, so I don't mind the one-time premium.  Fan shaped snake, I paid close to $100.  Monkey I remember wasn't too expensive.  I bought all from eBay.

You're right about the confusion regarding the flower shaped.  As far as I'm concerned, I only like the newer obverse designs but they dropped the ball for Ox and Tiger.  So, the "entire personal series" for me is 2003 to 2007.  :001_tt2:

Offline chinesecoinworks

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 10:07:28 AM »
As I see more listings of fan shaped lunars, I'm feeling a bit uncomfortable with what I have. Most of the fan shaped lunars are packed in BLUE boxes, including the Dragon. However, my dragon coin is packed in WHITE box and without the China Gold Corp logo. Do I not have the original mint box?

Offline xinkid

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 08:43:37 PM »
My dragon fan coin also came in a white box.  I think it's original.

p.s. I just checked eBay for 2002 fan horse coin 1 oz.  The price has more than doubled since my post a year ago.  :w00t: