Author Topic: Newly issued MCC  (Read 7530 times)

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Newly issued MCC
« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2017, 08:57:49 AM »
Interesting rare medal.    If it was on ebay, I would consider it a fake but not now.       My guesstimate is there are many other oddball medals from the Mints.     They were probably melted or abused so could have a very large upside.    Wonder how many undiscovered medals are in people's safes or storage areas.     This semi immature market needs a lot more research and posting photos really helps....................

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2017, 04:53:06 PM »
Here is something that may be rare, or may not be.  It is the first of an unsuccessful series the Shenyang Mint Struck for a Shanghai coin company in 1995. It is a reproduction of a USA 1804 silver Dollar. The 1804's design is split between two medals with the obverse on one piece and the reverse on the other, so it is not a copy. Authorized mintage was 30,000. I asked around at BICE and heard that the actual mintage was quite low. These were intended for the domestic China market and at that time there was no interest. A series of great Chinese coins from the same company was much more successful. I also asked the world coin department at Stack's-Bowers about these and they had never heard of them. Likewise, nobody at the Shenyang Mint today remembers them. At this time that's about all the information I have on this set. Anybody else (Frank?) know something about it?

Where was this found? An outdoor flea market in Beijing.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
The Gold & Silver Panda Coin Buyer’s Guide 3
www.pandacollector.com
I have never seen these medals.

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2017, 02:54:02 PM »
Issued in 1996, this is the second of the Shenyang Great Coins of the World medal sets. It may be the last one produced. The original model is a very rare 1839 5 pound gold English coin.

I asked another very experienced collector, like Frank, about these. He had never heard of this series, either, so I think they must be quite uncommon. It may be the first time I asked him about a set of modern Chinese medals and drew a blank. He commented that similar themed sets of Great Chinese Coins struck by the Shanghai Mint were very popular in the 1980s. Sales of those were around 50,000 and had waiting lists.

As Pandamonium suggests, who knows what may turn up next?

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2017, 09:13:46 PM »
Issued in 1996, this is the second of the Shenyang Great Coins of the World medal sets. It may be the last one produced. The original model is a very rare 1839 5 pound gold English coin.

I asked another very experienced collector, like Frank, about these. He had never heard of this series, either, so I think they must be quite uncommon. It may be the first time I asked him about a set of modern Chinese medals and drew a blank. He commented that similar themed sets of Great Chinese Coins struck by the Shanghai Mint were very popular in the 1980s. Sales of those were around 50,000 and had waiting lists.

As Pandamonium suggests, who knows what may turn up next?

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

During mid-1990, Shanghai Hua Xia Art Collectors Co. LTD. (華夏珍藏品公司) commissioned Shenyang Mint to produce a series of silver plated copper medals in commemorating the earlier world coins. The above two medals are part of this series. The planned mintage for each medal was 30,000. Attached are pictures for 1993 and 1994 medals.

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2017, 10:02:34 PM »
During mid-1990, Shanghai Hua Xia Art Collectors Co. LTD. (華夏珍藏品公司) commissioned Shenyang Mint to produce a series of silver plated copper medals in commemorating the earlier world coins. The above two medals are part of this series. The planned mintage for each medal was 30,000. Attached are pictures for 1993 and 1994 medals.

Yes, thanks, these were indeed made for the Hua Xia company in Shanghai. Hua Xia was a large distributor; one person I spoke to called it the "GovMint" of the era. The Chinese coins are part of the "Series of Currency Treasures of China," a popular series. They are supposedly not too hard to find. The one that followed, "The Series of the World's Famous Coins" was, apparently, a commercial failure. I bought a few of the earlier series, too, but haven't had time to take photos, yet. They are attractive. I will try to take images of them as soon as time allows.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline wg

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #66 on: December 18, 2017, 07:54:49 AM »

Offline wg

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #67 on: December 18, 2017, 08:07:54 AM »

Online bender9876

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+3)
« Reply #68 on: December 18, 2017, 01:01:38 PM »
Pretty cool, I like it

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #69 on: December 18, 2017, 06:40:59 PM »
Pretty cool, I like it

So do I. Here's the latest cover for China Pricepedia 2. I like the Ginkgo (Yínxìng) trees in Beijing, too. All those leaves were gone a few days after this photo was taken.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com