Author Topic: The Panda Coin That Nobody Knew  (Read 982 times)

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
The Panda Coin That Nobody Knew
« on: January 21, 2018, 08:21:26 PM »
https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/6382/2017-S-10-Yuan-panda/

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
The Gold & Silver Panda Coin Buyer’s Guide 3
www.pandacollector.com

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
Re: The Panda Coin That Nobody Knew
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 08:36:49 PM »
The first question is what is the ACTUAL mintage of this coin? Second is how many were released to the public? Third, are there minted but unreleased coins in storage somewhere? Because if this was an instant sellout we would have felt the shockwaves over here!

It is an interesting phenomenon as you observed!
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 08:46:31 PM »
The first question is what is the ACTUAL mintage of this coin? Second is how many were released to the public? Third, are there minted but unreleased coins in storage somewhere? Because if this was an instant sellout we would have felt the shockwaves over here!

It is an interesting phenomenon as you observed!

Good points and I am trying to get answers to all of these questions. For instance CGCI lists it, but does not actually have any for sale. I've also learned more about the distribution, or non-distribution, but the key issue is the actual mintage.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline PandaOrLunar

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 09:20:41 PM »
I personally feel exhausted with all the "show/event/special/commemorative/etc." panda release in recent years.  As a result, I stopped paying attention to them.

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 10:35:15 PM »
I personally feel exhausted with all the "show/event/special/commemorative/etc." panda release in recent years.  As a result, I stopped paying attention to them.

In 2017 there were total of four Panda commemorative coins issued: three for the 35th Anniversary and this one. It is the only 10 Yuan commemorative silver Panda for 2017 and it caused barely a ripple as it appeared and then vanished. That it was so ignored is exactly the reason that it may turn out to be so interesting.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 12:16:22 AM »
Only 5,000 coins were distributed to the public via regular CGCI distributors. . 45,000 coins were distributed by  "China National Philatelic Corporation".

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 04:02:01 AM »
Only 5,000 coins were distributed to the public via regular CGCI distributors. . 45,000 coins were distributed by  "China National Philatelic Corporation".

Those are the published maximum numbers...

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 03:40:49 PM »
This coin was issued in commemorating the International Collection Expo, especially for stamp collection. Therefore, "China National Philatelic Corporation" receives the majority of mintage for distribution. This is no different from coin issued in commemorating the anniversary of bank or any institution. In those cases, bank or institution will receive the majority of mintage for distribution to its employees and customers.

The actual mintage is 50,000 and being distributed as giving in the following link.

http://www.jibi.net/news/YGGCHMD/95628815.html

I will not be surprised if this coin ended in FDC issued by China National Philatelic Corporation in the future, similar to 1995 Beijing Stamp and Coin Expo and 1999 22nd Congress of Postal Union.

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 07:40:28 PM »
This coin was issued in commemorating the International Collection Expo, especially for stamp collection. Therefore, "China National Philatelic Corporation" receives the majority of mintage for distribution. This is no different from coin issued in commemorating the anniversary of bank or any institution. In those cases, bank or institution will receive the majority of mintage for distribution to its employees and customers.

The actual mintage is 50,000 and being distributed as giving in the following link.

http://www.jibi.net/news/YGGCHMD/95628815.html

I will not be surprised if this coin ended in FDC issued by China National Philatelic Corporation in the future, similar to 1995 Beijing Stamp and Coin Expo and 1999 22nd Congress of Postal Union.

If there is a FDC I will gladly buy one, but I will be surprised if one is issued in 2018 that contains a 2017 coin. I thought the examples you give were issued at the events, not afterward? There were some special commemorative stamps released at the show. An album of them is in the photo that goes with my NGC article.

The theme for China Pricepedia is, "the World’s Most Exciting Coins." That is as true as ever. Stay tuned.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 09:19:59 PM »
The FDC with coin could not be released during the Expo, but after the Expo. Usually, the mintage of FDC with coin is 5,000-10,000. It takes time to prepare the package. The coin is sealed on a long hard plastic sheet (the same size as envelop) and placed in envelop. China National Philatelic Corporation obtains the postal seal at the first day of Expo and make the package later.

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2018, 09:32:51 PM »
The FDC with coin could not be released during the Expo, but after the Expo. Usually, the mintage of FDC with coin is 5,000-10,000. It takes time to prepare the package. The coin is sealed on a long hard plastic sheet (the same size as envelop) and placed in envelop. China National Philatelic Corporation obtains the postal seal at the first day of Expo and make the package later.

Thanks., that adds something to check on. It is already four months since the show ended, so if there will be an FDC the packaging is making haste slowly. At this point I will save some other things for another day.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2018, 11:15:27 AM »

Here is an update to this part of the story: It was announced that a FDC would be released on September 8, 2017 at the Expo. It would contain a piece of silk as well as a coin. For reasons unknown the release at the expo was canceled.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com