Author Topic: Where to buy? (eBay sucks)  (Read 8982 times)

Offline badon

• Trade Count: (0)
Where to buy? (eBay sucks)
« on: February 26, 2010, 11:53:48 AM »
OK, where do I buy modern chinese coins? I'm interested in older, rarer ones exclusively, and although they appear on ebay from time to time, they're usually too overpriced or even fake. Is there a decent list anywhere of dealers?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 11:57:14 AM by qwasty »

KonaJim

Re: Where to buy? (eBay sucks)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 04:09:50 PM »
Check out the The Heritage World Coin Auction coming up in April.  It's in Chicago but you can bid online, or by phone.  www.heritageauctiongalleries.com

Offline badon

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 10:25:45 PM »
That was a great tip, thank you very much. I wish I had known about it early so I could scrape some money together to put down on some bids. Maybe I'll be able to pull something off.

Offline BobW

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 08:07:36 PM »
Compared to five years ago the market for many non-USA coins has changed a great deal. Then it was still possible to acquire most modern coinage at a relatively small mark-up over the issue price and often directly from a country's mint. Now due to incresed popularity of their coins, some countries only sell their coins through a distributorship who in turn sells the coins to dealers. The resulting premium to the collector can be substantial.

Where to buy older, rarer, modern Chinese coins? If I knew specifically what I wanted, I would solicit the services of ONE dealer who specializes in the coins you wish to acquire. Work out all the details of your arrangement before hand. Expect to pay 5 to 20 percent for the dealer's services. In many instances this will prove to be a bargain. Rare desirable coins are seldom found without a great deal of effort.

Offline badon

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 08:17:12 PM »
Why do you emphasize working with just one dealer? I suspect it's to preserve a good relationship with the dealer, and to avoid accidentally driving prices up with several dealers bidding on just one coin, only for you.

Offline BobW

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 01:00:18 PM »
I think everyone would agree that having more than one agent bid at auction is folly.

Many if not the majority of rare desirable coins are sold at large coin shows before the show is open to the public in dealer to dealer transactions. It is during these closed to the public sessions, that dealers fill the want lists of their customers. In the USA, around 80% of the attendees are the same dealers, wholesalers and specialsts from show to show. They know each other quite well and have a great deal of knowledge about each others' inventory preferences and business operations. These participants have first chance at acquiring the most deirable merchandise.

Having multiple dealers within this group working for you can potentially create a conflict of interest and result in a higher cost to you and may indeed even cause you not to get the coin. One example, you ask both Dealer A and Dealer B to buy a coin for you. Dealer A finds and buys a coin on your want list. Dealer B learns that Dealer A has acquired the coin that is also on Dealer B's list for you. He offers to buy the coin from Dealer A at a price that Dealer A cannot turn down. Suddenly the price of the coin that you will purchase has gone up a significant amount.

Offline badon

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 09:27:36 PM »
That's what I suspected, but it's nice to have it all spelled out for me, thanks.

Offline badon

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 06:30:09 PM »
I found a few more places to buy:

http://www.stacks.com/
http://www.cghka.com/english/index.htm
http://www.sunfeico.com/ (hasn't had rare coins listed on their site for years)

albertmorison

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2012, 04:48:35 AM »
You can find a good collection of silver,gold and platinum coins at our site silvergoldvault.com

Offline brewcity

• Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2014, 02:12:37 PM »
Really useful links! Well, two of them anyhow. Thanks, badon!

Offline Contrapunctus

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 11:45:47 AM »
Just a note...

For live auctions (by auction houses), it's like a "trap". I always see they have very low starting price. It always lures me in to bid. Then when the auction opens, the price always get bidded to some high price. Not sure if the auctions are rigged or is some sellers acting as buyers to push up his price.

Offline xuhong

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2014, 03:55:07 AM »
Hi,
You can browse my ebay store. I am a Chinese coin-dealer specialized in Chinese modern coin for more than twenty years. I have lots of rare and old dates coins although some may not list on my ebay. All of my coins are genuine with reasonable price. If you are interested, pls do not hesitate to contact me and I will give you best price best coins. My e-mail address is: xuhong88888888@126.com
My ebay ID: hangzhouhuapinshoucangpin
My ebay link: http://stores.ebay.com/Huayin-Shoucang-coins

Best regards,
Xuhong

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+14)
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2014, 06:21:56 AM »
Arif is a great seller , "key date panda"  he is a member and I believe would be highly recommended by everyone here,I have personally bought from him ,fair prices on excellent coins     http://www.coins888.com/

Offline wg

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2014, 02:48:48 AM »
Hi,
You can browse my ebay store. I am a Chinese coin-dealer specialized in Chinese modern coin for more than twenty years. I have lots of rare and old dates coins although some may not list on my ebay. All of my coins are genuine with reasonable price. If you are interested, pls do not hesitate to contact me and I will give you best price best coins. My e-mail address is: xuhong88888888@126.com

Best regards,
Xuhong

still off limits for europeans :001_rolleyes:

Your search returned 0 items.

best regards

Offline aragog

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2014, 05:00:37 AM »
it offers me more than 1500 items

Offline sasushi

• Trade Count: (+13)
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2014, 09:34:13 AM »
You must use Internet explorer from Microsoft.

Offline coinstat

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2014, 10:02:22 AM »
@sasushi
That does not help. Please find enclosed a screenshot with a proxy server and one without. It is all about the IP-range. With the item number it is possible to access and buy the item without restrictions from Europe.

I think Xu Hong just wants to buy here without revealing the selling prices :001_rolleyes:

Regards
coinstat

Offline purpuratum

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+3)
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2014, 11:16:55 AM »
Hi coinstat,

you may try to use this link here:

http://www.auctiva.com/stores/viewstore2.aspx?id=532317&itemsPerPage=200

Offline wg

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2014, 11:38:27 AM »
@sasushi
That does not help. Please find enclosed a screenshot with a proxy server and one without. It is all about the IP-range. With the item number it is possible to access and buy the item without restrictions from Europe.

I think Xu Hong just wants to buy here without revealing the selling prices :001_rolleyes:

Regards
coinstat

hello coinstat

not only xu hong ;) ... maybe "they" don't want we buy from chinese dealers. :001_tongue:

regards

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2014, 01:08:28 PM »
OK, where do I buy modern chinese coins? I'm interested in older, rarer ones exclusively, and although they appear on ebay from time to time, they're usually too overpriced or even fake. Is there a decent list anywhere of dealers?

Champion Auctions often has many truly rare coins in its auctions.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2014, 09:29:00 PM »
Did anyone mention Coinex?   They sold a 1980 Jianzhen Touring Expo or Monk silver set and have had some rarity.....

http://www.coinex.com/store/

I think that the owner of this site, snowball of pandausa has rarity but may not sell them.....

http://www.pandausa.com/

Offline KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2014, 12:46:50 AM »
I am surprised collectors don't like ebay, as a collector I have bought many coins on ebay over the years and 98% of the time I was happy with the purchases.   In general there are 4 venues to buy coins:

1) Auction houses - ebay, Stacks, Heritage and Zhou are best for fair prices.  There are other players, but in my experience they often have one or more of the following issues, above market price reserves, take forever to ship (months), inaccurate descriptions, shill bid prices (especially with mail or fax bid sheet) or require payment in foreign currency.

2) Major Coin shows - August ANA, Long Beach, Baltimore, FUN, Hong Kong and many others.  These are best shows to meet the major dealers, once you know these dealers they will help you get any coin you want.  Key to remember is each dealer specializes in different coins, so for silver X maybe the best, but for gold Y maybe best, take a look at their inventory on display to determine what they focus on.  Also, many of these dealers have websites that list some inventory for sale, that can be a good starting point to find coins.

3) Coin shops - this is hit or miss (miss 95%).  Almost all coins shop either ebay or sell to major dealer when a rare Chinese coin comes in, because they don't specialize in world coins and their local market often has no interest in buying world coins. Of course coin shops located in areas where many Chinese people live will tend to have nice Chinese coins for sale.

4) Private transactions - the key is networking or long term history as a dealer.  For example, I have sold coins for the last 7 years, so I know what each of my US customers have assuming they haven't sold any, so when market gets hot I can make offers to buy back coins in bulk.  Of course this is getting harder because now almost all my sales are to China, so I have no way to get the coins back in few years or decades.  Also, collectors contact dealers because they are listed as NGC or PCGS dealers or advertising, I get a lot of cold calls every week asking what is something worth and every once in awhile get a nice hoard of coins.  

As a dealer item coins shows, coin shops and private transaction make up most of my purchases.  As a collector auction houses used to make up most of my purchases because I didn't have access to the other venues either due to time or ability to buy large lots.  

Offline Contrapunctus

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2014, 10:31:51 AM »
Hi,

Best regards,
Xuhong

Nice coins you have there!

Offline jwa1inv

• Supporter
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2014, 11:19:20 PM »
Jay's Rare Panda Coins on EBay has wide selection and reasonable prices.
When he sold me a raw 2000 G100Y Mirror Panda for about $4400 back
in 2011, the remarkably low price was an item discussed on CCF. It graded
a wonderful MS69. Apparently the coin was not cherry picked for dumping.
It is now shown in the CCF gallery.
I have not used his website www.rarepandastore.com or his beta (currently
in testing) website www.rarepandacoins.com, but will keep an eye on
what he has listed, since he can sell cheaper off eBay.
I actually like the buying opportunities on EBay, but you have to invest the
time in searching for the deals. I buy raw coins and take NCS/NGC grading risk
mostly.

Offline pandaguy212

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+17)
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2014, 11:40:03 PM »
I have bought a lot of great pandas from Jay at really good prices in the past few years. The fees on ebay and paypal are so high now, so I think he can usually give around 7-10% off on a cash basis. He is a reputable dealer, so there is no risk of buying on a cash basis. I was looking at the 1990 1oz gold vault protector graded perfect NGC PF70 on his website, I think that's a great buy considering its the only one ever to grade 70. Seems like a scarce coin with only 22 ever graded by NGC.