Author Topic: Varieties of silver Historical Figures, 1984 to 1993  (Read 101572 times)

Offline badon

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Varieties of silver Historical Figures, 1984 to 1993
« Reply #150 on: December 07, 2011, 03:42:22 PM »
looking forward.... to make the system able to pick the right photo for the main photo for subtype, one could simply make boxes under uploading photos that checks: graded/slabbed or not, and enter grade, much like what one does when one creates specimens...

regardless: at type level, assuming there are subtypes, a single main picture makes no sense. Onw would like to have a gallery that shows one (preferably the best ones) subtype of each type for the type's main page....

but I am a computer imbesile :)... I can work with statistical software (SPSS, Eviews etc) but I have no chance in H*** to do the kind of "programming" you and SANDAC are up to.... I'll have a beer and wait and see what you come up with for the type page image idea....

main message: at type level, one picture of the obverse of each subtype should be shown in the gallery, it should be automatically generated, even if that means that in the event no main photo of the subtype yet exist, there would be a "blank" image-square there.... (to be filled in by motivated data gatherers! :) )

That's another great idea, and the system is totally capable of handling it. I picked you and SANDAC to invite for testing the Coin Compendium because your interests are the same, but you are very different people. You both have completely different experiences on the site - SANDAC is pushing it to do what it was designed to do (and giving me lots of data to run tests on), while you're finding many of the obstacles that need to be removed in order to make it easy and useful for everyone.

Offline DiggingNorway

• Gold Source
« Reply #151 on: December 07, 2011, 03:46:09 PM »
Badon, I urge you to reconsider... look: if I were to show up at an auction with a complete silver and gold set of the chinese HF series.... noone would ever think about raiseing the question: But where is the World HF?

My point is, the world HF series is a separate series and it deserves its own type. As an example, I collect the chinese HFS... I do not own a single World HFS... but, since the CC has drawn my attention to the lack of attention the series apparently suffer under... thats a different story, I might just start collecting it! But ask SANDAC... how many WHFS vs. CHFS does he have?`

These are different series, sharing the same "theme", yes. But the way the CC is buildt up as to date, "themes" do not represent a type of which different series' are subtypes of....

Offline DiggingNorway

• Gold Source
« Reply #152 on: December 07, 2011, 03:54:09 PM »
"Instead of putting both world and Chinese historical figures under "CCT11: Historical figures", their "primary type" might be "CCT405: Modern Chinese coins 1979 to today". "

excatly. I am not suggesting removing CCT405, I am simply suggesting that you treat CHF and WHF as equally different series as unicorns and pandas, even if the latter also are animals... the same way CHF and WHF are HF...

Offline badon

« Reply #153 on: December 07, 2011, 03:57:01 PM »
My point is, the world HF series is a separate series and it deserves its own type.

I'm not sure I follow you. It already does have its own type:

CCT12: World historical figures

And Chinese historical figures are also separated into their own type:

CCT10: Chinese historical figures

These are different series, sharing the same "theme", yes. But the way the CC is buildt up as to date, "themes" do not represent a type of which different series' are subtypes of....

Actually, the CC is designed to be able to do that. We just haven't done much with it yet because we're still adding data. Coin types can be organized by:

* "theme"
* weight (1 oz, 1/2 oz, 1/4 oz, etc)
* metal (gold, silver, bimetallic, etc)
* country
* time period
* Coins that King Farouk has owned
* Coins that peak in value during slowdowns
* Coins that are unknown whether they're official or not
* Coins that were made outside their issuing country (1997 platinum pandas)
* ...anything else you can imagine

Of course, displaying all those types on the main page would be silly, since many of them may only be useful to just one person doing his own research that we may not even understand yet until he's done and writes a book about it to sell to us :)

Offline badon

« Reply #154 on: December 07, 2011, 03:59:17 PM »
"Instead of putting both world and Chinese historical figures under "CCT11: Historical figures", their "primary type" might be "CCT405: Modern Chinese coins 1979 to today". "

excatly. I am not suggesting removing CCT405, I am simply suggesting that you treat CHF and WHF as equally different series as unicorns and pandas, even if the latter also are animals... the same way CHF and WHF are HF...

I just changed the display on the main page. Reload it, and tell me if that's what you wanted to see.

Offline badon

« Reply #155 on: December 07, 2011, 04:01:09 PM »
I also added CCT405 as the first "primary" type on Chinese and World historical figures.

Offline DiggingNorway

• Gold Source
« Reply #156 on: December 07, 2011, 04:03:15 PM »
"Of course, displaying all those types on the main page would be silly, since many of them may only be useful to just one person doing his own research that we may not even understand yet until he's done and writes a book about it to sell to us :)"

good point.... the paradox of data-sharing... What I mean is simply that I see no point in merging the two series under the same tyep "historical figuere"... I am sure you know what I mean... and yes: I do understand that as long as a variable is consitently reported on type, subtype, specimen level anyone can search and gather data about all sorts of variables... I am discussing the seperation between series... WHF and CHF should not be merged under a headline HF under the main page, just as pandas and leopards should not be merged as "endangared animals" - the fact that people can search and sort data according a bunch of varibales do not change that inconsitency of categorization... but... lets wait for SANDAC or others to share their opinion... I am just letting you know my intuitive reaction :)

Offline badon

« Reply #157 on: December 07, 2011, 04:07:53 PM »
I also added CCT405 as the first "primary" type on Chinese and World historical figures.

By the way, you are able to do things like that too. Just click "Edit with form" on CCT10 and CCT12 to see how I did it by entering "CCT405, CCT11" into the type field. I put CCT405 first, just in case we figure out a use for a "primary type". For now, the only difference the ordering will make is they will show up on the type page with the same ordering (under "Type", on the right).

Offline DiggingNorway

• Gold Source
« Reply #158 on: December 07, 2011, 04:09:12 PM »
I just changed the display on the main page. Reload it, and tell me if that's what you wanted to see.

I like it! notice not even a single subtype has been added to the WHF series.... allthough the CHF has gained alot of data... now maybe that will change since it is treated like a genuine series, as it should.

I really dont understand the meaning of the "see also" text, but atleast, once a use now chooses CHF or WHF he gets straight to the action... then we can start making the type-mainpages of the series provide more data :)

I'll be buying some WHF now just for the fun of it to the data!!

Offline badon

« Reply #159 on: December 07, 2011, 04:11:08 PM »
I added the "see also" part with a link to CCT11 because I'm actually using CCT11 for my own research. I'm researching whether the Coin Compendium is working like it's supposed to :)

Offline DiggingNorway

• Gold Source
« Reply #160 on: December 07, 2011, 04:16:49 PM »
okidokli.. I cnat find any WHFS... but I'll keep my eyes open... I wonder if they present themselves with as many different varities w.r.t strikes as the CHF....

Offline badon

« Reply #161 on: December 07, 2011, 04:21:08 PM »
I'm going to eventually add custom ebay searches to some of the type pages, so it will be easy to find stuff that has just shown up on ebay. I'm going to make it super smooth and easy to find and add information to each page. That's on the back burner for now though, while I work on more important features that are required before I can move ahead with new ideas.

Offline DiggingNorway

• Gold Source
« Reply #162 on: December 07, 2011, 04:27:06 PM »
so now we can expect a new kind of maiin page for the subtypes? with main photos from the specimens? - that was our original disussion... :)   I am very happy with the separation and I think it will prove to be right later on :)

Offline badon

« Reply #163 on: December 07, 2011, 04:55:11 PM »
Yes, I'm working on making that possible right now. Once I've done the underlying work, then I can add that feature. It will make for a very nice main page.

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #164 on: December 07, 2011, 08:43:03 PM »
Oh... and I got my little baby today  :001_wub:

I think I am converted.... coins in slabs (at least the NGS ones) are actually quite nice. They display the coin great, and just "feels right"...

I would not be surprised if SANDAC came up with 6-7 varities of this one too  :laugh:   (1988 Li Quing Zhao, PFUC 69)
Very nice!  I have not done much research on the 1988 Li Qing Zhao.  I am not aware of any variety, at least not yet.   ;)