Author Topic: The Journey of the Chinese Classical Garden Series of Medals  (Read 208833 times)

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
Re: The Journey of the Chinese Classical Garden Series of Medals
« Reply #360 on: January 27, 2016, 11:36:34 PM »
Just wanted to share this article from the South China Morning Post in 2013 regarding plans to build a Chinese Classical Garden complex at the US National Arboretum in Washington modeled after the Geyuan and Heyuan Classical Gardens of Yangzhou.

http://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/interiors-living/article/1360334/us-architects-work-qing-dynasty-garden-heart-washington

The Geyuan Garden is one of the best preserved private residential gardens in China with probably the longest history, the most extensive bamboo tree varieties and innovative use of rockeries (to denote seasons).
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #361 on: January 28, 2016, 12:39:10 AM »
Thanks for digging this out. This is the link from the National Arboretum: http://usna.usda.gov/ChinaGarden/index.html

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #362 on: January 28, 2016, 01:13:14 AM »
I hope the Chinese government will release a coin or medal commemorating this garden complex when complete.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #363 on: January 28, 2016, 11:02:06 PM »
Adding the url to a separate short thread on the Yuyuan and Lan Ting medals by UTAH3 and KD1/2P:

http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=10128.0

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #364 on: February 03, 2016, 08:27:51 AM »
The 2015 antique brass Geyuan medal is now on eBay (#161967333312). Interestingly and rather coincidentally the reverse face of the medal is now positioned as the front face of the slab. Only 588 medals were released. It does not seem like the initially planned extra 10,000 medals will now be released for the Coin Exchange. The reason is not clear but may not be related (entirely) to the error medal issue.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #365 on: February 06, 2016, 11:00:49 AM »
I came across a translation of the Lanting Xu here: https://patricksiu.wordpress.com/the-lanting-xu-preface-of-the-orchid-pavilion《蘭亭序》by-wang-xizhi-王羲之/ . Makes for interesting reading. Thought provoking and not depressing as I earlier thought. I read it as telling you to take a break and rethink why you are here in this world and work hard and fast to do all you think you want to do because time flies and sooner than you know it you will be looking at the twilight of your life and wandering if/what you could have done (better) had you known at the beginning. Anyway, that is what I think it says at the moment. Maybe if I grab a few floating goblets of wine I may understand it better!  ;)

BTW Happy Chinese New Year to forum members and Best of Luck in the coming year.  N48

And this is a triple lucky# post (888). Rather fortuitous!  :thumbup: N30 N31 N34 N40. Good Luck everyone.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #366 on: February 06, 2016, 01:07:36 PM »
This translation from the online "China Museum" saves you the effort of navigating away from this page:

Preface to the Poems Composed at the Orchid Pavilion
       On this late spring day, the ninth year of Yonghe (AD 353), we gathered at the Orchid Pavilion in Shaoxing to observe the Spring Purification Festival. All of the prominent people were there, from old to young. High mountains and luxuriant bamboo groves lie in the back; a limpid, swift stream gurgles around, which reflected the sunlight as it flowed past either side of the pavilion. We sat by the water, sharing wine from a floating goblet while chanting poems, which gave us delight in spite of the absence of musical accompaniment. This is a sunny day with a gentle valley breeze. Spreading before the eye is the beauty of nature, and hanging high is the immeasurable universe. This is perfect for an aspired mind. What a joy.
       Though born with different personalities - some give vent to their sentiment in a quiet chat while others repose their aspiration in Bohemianism - people find pleasure in what they pursue and never feel tired of it. Sometimes they pause to recall the days lapsed away. Realizing that what fascinated yesterday is a mere memory today, not to mention that everyone will return to nothingness, an unsuppressible sorrow would well up. Isn't it sad to think of it?
       I am often moved by ancients' sentimental lines which lamented the swiftness and uncertainty of life. When future generations look back to my time, it will probably be similar to how I now think of the past. What a shame! Therefore, when I list out the people that were here, and record their musings, even though times and circumstances will change, as for the things that we regret, they are the same. For the people who read this in future generations, perhaps you will likewise be moved by my words.

http://www.chinaonlinemuseum.com/calligraphy-wang-xizhi-orchid.php

Offline Rainbird

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #367 on: February 07, 2016, 10:48:39 AM »
I hope the Chinese government will release a coin or medal commemorating this garden complex when complete.

The garden series is not "official", as far as I know it was sponsored by private collectors. I would be wrong though.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #368 on: February 07, 2016, 01:25:39 PM »
The garden series is not "official", as far as I know it was sponsored by private collectors. I would be wrong though.

I know that. I am talking more in terms of the Government releasing a commemorative coin to honor the completion and opening of this joint project like they normally do with similar landmark relationships and programs. Just a thought anyway.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #369 on: February 13, 2016, 11:13:54 PM »
Jade Mountain Illustrating the Gathering of Scholars at the Lanting Pavillon Minneapolis Art Institute Collection of Jade Carving

http://www.artsconnected.org/resource/1413/jade-mountain-illustrating-the-gathering-of-scholars-at-the-lanting-pavillion

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #370 on: February 13, 2016, 11:20:20 PM »
Magnified view of the jade carving illustrating components reflected on the Lan Ting medal.

Offline BubbaJones

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #371 on: February 22, 2016, 02:21:08 PM »
Wow! Thanks NBM.  This info is overwhelming. I guess I'm late to the party. Sad.  That Lan Ting piece has to be one of the best art pieces I've ever seen (so far).  Anyone selling them?  I'm sure they are impossible to get?

Also, I see there is a set called the XIE.  Does anyone have one of those.  I'm sure these too are impossible to find.  Any advice I'm ears.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #372 on: February 22, 2016, 02:37:57 PM »
Wow! Thanks NBM.  This info is overwhelming. I guess I'm late to the party. Sad.  That Lan Ting piece has to be one of the best art pieces I've ever seen (so far).  Anyone selling them?  I'm sure they are impossible to get?

Also, I see there is a set called the XIE.  Does anyone have one of those.  I'm sure these too are impossible to find.  Any advice I'm ears.

Nothing is impossible; just depends on how deep your pockets are!

However, I will caution patience and study of the subject matter before taking the big plunge. Opportunities always exist to get coins and medals you may have missed but you have to determine what makes sense financially.

The silver Yuyuan and Lan Ting medals are still available out there. So also are many of the other medals but some can be pricey.

You start hitting headwinds with the antique silver Lan Ting (currently $2888 on eBay) and the Xiequyuan set (probably $3000-10,000 or more).

There are still new releases in the making.

**Type "Lan Ting garden medal" at EBay. You can also use a broader search term such as "Classical Garden medal" to pick up more varieties. Note that the Geyuan Medals can be accessed by searching with "Geyaun medal" followed by another search with "Ge Yuan medal".

Happy hunting!  ;)

Offline NBM

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #373 on: February 22, 2016, 02:49:11 PM »
You are most welcome BubbaJones.
I understand Liuyuan is the next to be released, did we ever get the mintage numbers on it?

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #374 on: February 22, 2016, 03:05:23 PM »
Here are the Liuyuan mintage numbers:

Gold: 10
Silver: 1000, but with proof and reverse proof strikes, it is effectively reduced to 500 pairs
Antique silver: 399
Brass: 500
Stained brass: 188