Author Topic: Medals from hand-engraved dies by Shanghai Mint  (Read 6963 times)

Online pandamonium

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Medals from hand-engraved dies by Shanghai Mint
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2015, 08:51:04 PM »
The original strikes, restrikes and plated versions were all made from hand engraved dies. Please note, though, that unlike Plum, Orchid, Bamboo and Chrysanthemum and the Palace Lantern sets, only one side of of the pagodas and goldfish was hand engraved. The other side was etched.

The brass medals may have suffered a higher rate of loss due to the base metal they were made from. The Jianzhen brass set is even fewer than the silver version. There are four known brass sets, including one in the museum of Shanghai Mint. The silver version is extremely rare, too, but not this few.

One side of the 84 silver pagoda & goldfish were hand engraved and the other side was etched.   Are these the only two medals struck like this?   If so, these two are very unique and rare.   Makes sense these two silver medals could rise on the collection priority list.......

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2015, 09:21:16 PM »
A new post on the Plum, Orchid, Bamboo and Chrysanthemum set: http://modern-chinese-numismatic-info.blogspot.in/2015/05/plum-orchid-bamboo-and-chrysanthemum.html

For disclosure, I own two sets.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2015, 11:56:13 PM »
A new post on the Plum, Orchid, Bamboo and Chrysanthemum set: http://modern-chinese-numismatic-info.blogspot.in/2015/05/plum-orchid-bamboo-and-chrysanthemum.html

For disclosure, I own two sets.

Another excellent informative piece on early MCC. Gives more depth to the medals themselves. Now we know what the depicted flowers mean and some Chinese naming customs, and all those designs on the other side of each coin. As I have written elsewhere coins and medals could be powerful educational tools for both young and old. I'll print the write-up like I have done for many other treatises you have online. Thanks fwang!
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!