Author Topic: China’s New Coin Grading System  (Read 2048 times)

Offline Coinex

• Trade Count: (0)
    • ChineseCoins.com
China’s New Coin Grading System
« on: August 11, 2014, 09:47:58 AM »
On the 5th August 2014 China officially announced the preliminary release of its first coin appraisal and grading system.

Here is a brief look at some of the major features of the “现代贵金属纪念币品相评级标” (Modern Precious Metals Commemorative Coins Rating Standard), and how it differs from the PCGS and NGC systems currently in use...

https://www.chinesecoins.com/chinas-new-coin-grading-system/

Offline PandaOrLunar

Re: China’s New Coin Grading System
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 12:22:59 PM »
Everybody want piece of the pie (market share).

... use a 100-point scale...
> So what is a point 1 coin?

...for the time being, the Chinese system makes no distinction between proof and BU coins.
> Tell that to the people who paid premium on one over another.

... puts more emphasis and value on the arts and crafts used ...
> Who determine what is arts and not.

... methods of production employed by the mints in China are more numerous and relatively more complex than those used elsewhere.
> In other words, there is no standard.

Offline trozau

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 01:17:44 PM »
First to establish a 100 point grading system is the CGS from the UK. I would WAG that this China version (like the UK version) will not fair well against the existing Sheldon 70 point grading system used by ANA, NGC and PCGS.
trozau (troy ounce gold)
honi soit qui mal y pense

gold - the barbarous relic!

Offline goldpig

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 01:22:08 PM »
Everybody want piece of the pie (market share).

... use a 100-point scale...
> So what is a point 1 coin?

...for the time being, the Chinese system makes no distinction between proof and BU coins.
> Tell that to the people who paid premium on one over another.

... puts more emphasis and value on the arts and crafts used ...
> Who determine what is arts and not.

... methods of production employed by the mints in China are more numerous and relatively more complex than those used elsewhere.
> In other words, there is no standard.

PandaOrLunar, These are 4 good points

My response to your 2nd and 4th issue would be the same. IMHO there is a lot of unexplored, mysterious areas of the minting process that took place during the " golden age" of Chinese modern coins,this is a nice nuance to the collecting of Chinese modern coins.

My response to your 3rd issue would have to be the Chinese graders, who will probably be grading on strong points of national esthetic beauty, design and history.

Lastly, to the people who love slabbed coins, I feel companies in American and now China are still developing their methods of grading these great coins. I have seen very serious CMC grading mistakes by a very well know grading company.  CMCs are relatively new to the field of being collected, studied and last but not least graded., this is what brings the thrill into these coins:) I still prefer OMPs:)

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+45)
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 04:37:26 PM »
First to establish a 100 point grading system is the CGS from the UK. I would WAG that this China version (like the UK version) will not fair well against the existing Sheldon 70 point grading system used by ANA, NGC and PCGS.

I too think this new grading standard will not fare well against the current system, but was afraid to say it! Why reinvent the wheel?