Author Topic: Courtesy, please  (Read 5513 times)

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
Courtesy, please
« on: June 17, 2011, 03:50:34 PM »
I am sure that no one on this forum deliberately intends to insult other collectors of Chinese coins. Nonetheless the tone of some comments has been rough enough lately that at least two, and possibly three, very valuable contributors to the Chinese Coin Forum have packed their bags and left. I urge everyone who posts on the Chinese Coin Forum to pause before they post and consider if what they have written can be interpreted as insulting to either an individual, a country or a region. If that is the case, please don't send the post in until any offensive language or claims have been removed. You may think it's OK to generalize about collectors or investors and their habits because they live somewhere else, but it isn't. Not if we are going to have a free and useful exchange of ideas on this Forum between people from all around the globe.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
http://www.pandacollector.com

Offline Pandora

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Courtesy, please
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 06:38:44 PM »
Bump!

Offline pandaguy212

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+17)
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 07:32:37 PM »
Bump!

Nicely put Peter, we should always be very cautious of what we post, a lot of people read this forum 

Offline badon

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 07:48:01 PM »
I have not been as cautious as I should have been. I have to admit that part of this trouble is my fault. Oh well, live and learn, and always look forward. I think the key to this is to always try to keep things friendly and polite. I do my best.

In my defense, I try to respond to most of the posts on this forum to share what I know, and so that newcomers feel like they're getting some immediate attention in an active and vibrant community. It was instrumental in getting this forum off the ground. However, at times I have posted when I've had not quite enough sleep, or otherwise not put enough thought into how my posts would be received, which is surely not going to work out well.

Looking forward, I know that the members we've lost will still read this forum, and maybe they will decide to join us again someday. Really, I'm doing my best, and I do feel terrible about it when I've stuck my foot in my mouth. Hopefully our lost members will know they are missed, and that it would make my day to see them return.

Despite a few rough spots here and there, I still think this is one of the friendliest and most welcoming forums of any type that exists on the internet. That is one of the reasons I have invested so much of my efforts into it.

Overall, I think we've all done very well in making this not only the world's #1 English forum about Chinese coins, but also one of the best forums in the world, bar none. It is a team effort, and everyone sharing their thoughts through a click of the "Post" button is part of it, with the responsibility to make sure the things they're saying are intended to be beneficial for those who will read it.

I estimate that there are 1000 readers for every person that regularly posts on this forum. The words stored here carry farther than we can see with our own eyes.

Offline ?

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 08:17:52 PM »
I appreciate your post, Peter, and fully agree. Though I have to admit over in the German forum we, including myself, do not always stick strictly to this good advice. The difference here imho is and what I really appreciate about CCF that given the English language we have contributions from all over the world by people with different cultural backgrounds.

Having said this, it seems worthwhile before you "Post" to consider that your own cultural community may well understand and accept some of your words while others sharing their views here might possibly not and, thus, misunderstand you.

After all, may be, that's one of the advantages of getting older. You might not necessesarily become wiser but - at least that's true for me - typing on a keyboard even more in a foreign language and, last but not least, correcting most of your typos takes time. Time you can use to think it over ;)

greetz anwir

Offline pandamania

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 08:41:19 PM »
Wise words anwir.

Offline MrOrganic

• WORLDCOLLECTIBLES310
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 12:59:53 AM »
AMEN & A BUMP!  :thumbup:
EMERGING MARKET GROUP  
195 south BEVERLY Dr. BEVERLY HILLS

Long Beach Expo
..Table #838

DECEMBER: Macau/H.K.

JANUARY: N.Y.

AUGUST: Hong Kong

GO TO my Ebay Click: http://stores.ebay.com/worldcollectibles310

EMERGING MARKET GROUP

PCGS,NGC & PMG Auth. Dealer
美国收藏家 – 收藏中国现代金银

EMGWORLDEWIDE@GMAIL.COM
WECHAT: LAMBORGHINICA

Offline dragonfan

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 07:01:02 AM »
If my short and sharp comments insulted anyone here, it was unintentionally to do it.
But I know now it could and I must apologise. I appreciate this forum, I learn alot
about my passion, collecting PRC modern coins. I will think twice if I post
again. Sorry

Offline PandaOrLunar

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 10:07:52 AM »
I believe everyone on this forum intention is good.  Any insulting and despairing comments are un-intentional from observation.  What make this forum great is that every member contributes and respects every other. 

I also believe that for those members that left (hope they come back) and members that consider leaving that they first need to try to remind or steer someone that is out of line back into the intent of this community being a friendly center for exchange and sharing of knowledge.   All it take is a little reminder of something along the line of “courtesy, please” or “please keep it classy, polite, and family friendly on this forum”.

My 2 cents  :laugh:

Offline DiggingNorway

• Gold Source
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 12:15:15 PM »
I must have missed something... the only thing that comes to mind is Badon's Bashing of European coin handling... but I mean anyone who "knows his voice" sort of, knows that, well, he has got a big one, but  think that only brings some flavor to the forum... and he has a point; Us europeans love/like to touch our coins and we dont use the grading companies to the same extent as in the US...

as long as noone attack eachother on a personal level (I have yet to see that here) I feel we should have, and do have, room for some discussions

I do however hold the possibility open that I have missed something... I have no idea who has left or why.. I think this is a great forum, I especially have enjoyed the findings of the historical figueres varities and feel that we have collaborated very well in finding these, without this forum that would be hard to do..

Offline ghostrider80811

• Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 08:52:19 AM »
Badon,

Is this why KonaJim left CCF?  Cause I really enjoyed reading his posts!   

Offline badon

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 01:46:43 PM »

Offline r3globe

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 01:48:57 PM »
does he still check his PM's?

Offline badon

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 01:55:43 PM »
I don't know. I think he deleted his account, but I made the decision to reactivate it so no one could impersonate him later. It was a bug in the forum configuration that allowed users to delete their own account (which is a disaster if an account gets hacked). He is free to set his account to not receive PM's anymore, if he chooses.