Author Topic: Have you ever posted your collections, or coin pictures online? Bummer.  (Read 13197 times)

Offline wyldkatt

• Trade Count: (0)
After watching this news broadcast,
you just might need to reconsider that.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/video?id=7621105

~wyld~

Offline badon

Thanks for that info, everyone needs to be careful about this sort of thing. You can get yourself or your children killed if the wrong person finds out you have valuables.

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
Suggestion: use a dedicated camera to photograph coins and other valuables. The cameras that I am familiar with don't have a GPS built into them so the images don't contain location information. They usually have higher resolutions and better optics than smart phones, too.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
http://www.pandacollector.com

Offline wyldkatt

Maybe some of the more "techy" members can help on this as well.

I'm thinking that some of these digital cameras, that can remember the date stamp,
and time, without a battery in them, may well have this GPS technology.
They are apparently in touch with some sort of satellite. yes?

I'm using the W-A-G method on this one though. (Wyld Ass Guess)

~wyld~

Offline badon

Travel zoom types of cameras DO often have a GPS built in, and they include that info with photos. GPS-enabled cameras are becoming more common.

Offline dobedo

• Trade Count: (+2)
If a camera/smartphone has built-in GPS, would it be documented in its user manual? Or is it like Microsoft's undocumented features?

Offline badon

It should be in the manual. It's a major selling point of the camera.

Offline happycoins II

Not only the camera but also our real names as well that we should be aware of. Moreover, we should always keep our high-valued coins in a safty deposit box at a commercial bank. :001_cool:

Happycoins II
www.happycoins.multiply.com       

Offline dobedo

Moreover, we should always keep our high-valued coins in a safty deposit box at a commercial bank. :001_cool:

Happycoins II

I plan to keep some in a freezer. I think it'll take care of germs, is safer and conserves the coins better. Does anyone know if the low temperature would affect the PCGS/NGC holders? Alternatively, under the pillow for the less rare ones.

Offline badon

You should store them at room temperature. Putting them in the freezer causes the humidity of the air inside the holder to condense on the coin. Basically, you're soaking it in water when you put it in the freezer. The low temperature causes the air pressure inside the holder to drop below normal, and that forces cracks in the holder seal to form and open up, to allow more air in. Then, when you take them out, the reverse occurs, and air is expelled. Do that once or twice, and you've just broken the seal on your holder.

Offline happycoins II

Re: Have you ever posted your collections, or coin pictures online? Bummer.
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 07:07:38 PM »
I plan to keep some in a freezer. I think it'll take care of germs, is safer and conserves the coins better. Does anyone know if the low temperature would affect the PCGS/NGC holders? Alternatively, under the pillow for the less rare ones.

Offline happycoins II

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 07:20:59 PM »
 Then, be aware about the security because your freezer at home will be very valuable. :drool:

Happycoins II

Offline zaq

• New
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 10:42:19 AM »
Maybe some of the more "techy" members can help on this as well.

I'm thinking that some of these digital cameras, that can remember the date stamp,
and time, without a battery in them, may well have this GPS technology.
They are apparently in touch with some sort of satellite. yes?

I'm using the W-A-G method on this one though. (Wyld Ass Guess)

~wyld~
No, cameras have an internal fixed battery for their clock. (much like computers)

And here are instructions for disabling geotagging in smartphones. For pictures that already been geotagged, you can delete metadata from jpg to get rid of the geotags.

Offline wyldkatt

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 10:58:33 AM »
Welcome to the forum zaq.

And thanks for the fixes.

Great info.

Offline badon

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2011, 09:33:35 PM »
Yes, welcome to the forum, and thanks for sharing the information.

Offline smbgaiden

I see zaq has already given the tips I thought of when reading the initial posts and responses. Way to go zaq! I do have one more tip, just in case. I strongly recommend zaq's suggestion of exif stripping and you can ignore the rest of this post.

My mother is non-techie and I got her an eye-fi, so she doesn't have the hassle of connecting the camera or card to the PC. I see within the past year or so that eye-fi now offers a product that does geo-tagging. In the chance you have an eye-fi that supports geotagging, it will not be listed on your camera's feature set in the manual, but on the eye-fi card's documentation.

Other item to be concerned with is that some cameras keep a unique serial # in the exif makernote section. This is only worrying if you take photos with identifying characteristics and you or a friend posts them online. Later if you post a photo with the same camera (and serial #) with the subject being your valuables, the unscrupulous can use a service to try and circle back to the photos with identifying characteristics to plan their illegal activities. The service is meant for good, but could just as easily be used for bad: http://lifehacker.com/5796912/stolencamerafinder-locates-your-stolen-camera-by-using-your-existing-photos

Offline badon

Here's a handy tool that shows you a map of where your photos were taken, if your phone included GPS info in the photo data:

http://www.findexif.com/

Coinslinger

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2011, 02:27:21 AM »
Take your pictures at the Bank, on the table in the room of the Safety Deposit bank vault.... where ALL your valuables/coins should be.  Then it doesn't matter what kind of camera you use.  Also, keep a loaded Glock 23 close by.... that's what I do and it works wonders.... I've learned that Humans are severely allergic to lead.   

Offline exchange

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2011, 05:40:04 AM »
Take your pictures at the Bank, on the table in the room of the Safety Deposit bank vault.... where ALL your valuables/coins should be.  Then it doesn't matter what kind of camera you use. 

Completely agree. All your coins if not most should be in the bank vault(s). Although I do not take picture with any camera phone not because of GPS tracking which can be disabled anyway but the quality is usually poor.

exchange

Offline ghostrider80811

• Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2011, 09:53:28 AM »
Take your pictures at the Bank, on the table in the room of the Safety Deposit bank vault.... where ALL your valuables/coins should be.  Then it doesn't matter what kind of camera you use.  Also, keep a loaded Glock 23 close by.... that's what I do and it works wonders.... I've learned that Humans are severely allergic to lead.   

Agreed on the Glock23 but for those that hasnt been paying attention its only a matter of time before our 2nd Amendment gets taken away from us to align ourselves (US) to a Global UN mandate whether we agree or not (think forced). 

Coinslinger

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2011, 02:31:07 PM »
What did Charlton Heston say....?  Something about his cold dead hands.....?  I pay close attention to our current political climate. Plus I've been a P.I. for the better part of my adult life....I'm not a person who needs to worry about the Gov. talking away my Gun('s). If anyone attempts to take my Gold, Silver or Platinum, they're going to get brass and lead instead or maybe some wood or polycarbonate to the teeth. 

Offline ghostrider80811

• Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2011, 03:37:34 PM »
What did Charlton Heston say....?  Something about his cold dead hands.....?  I pay close attention to our current political climate. Plus I've been a P.I. for the better part of my adult life....I'm not a person who needs to worry about the Gov. talking away my Gun('s). If anyone attempts to take my Gold, Silver or Platinum, they're going to get brass and lead instead or maybe some wood or polycarbonate to the teeth. 

Absolutely but I dont put anything over a Fed GOV that's desperate and some could argue clinically insane.  I.E Running Drugs inside the US and laundering the money using US Banks, sending in the SWAT Team for student loans, financing the War on Terror by borrowing money from Communist China, giving our tax payers money in the TRILLIONS to Shadow Banks/Corps/Countries and trying to keep it a secret, giving guns to ruthless Mexican Drug Cartels and Rocket launchers (YES Rocket launchers).  I can go on and on and on...

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2011, 06:02:58 PM »
Why lock your coins up in a bank vault?  Most of our major banks in the US are bankrupt.  They are cursed with derivatives and bad mortgages.  When they take a bankers holiday, then your bank vaults will be confiscated.  No amount of ammo will get them back to you.  Your valuables will be long gone.  If you want a bank vault then I suggest a small local bank or credit union.  From what I hear the small banks survived the depression.  Think outside the box when it comes to stashing your valuables.  I would find a place where your guns can protect them, close to home.  Not a bank vault........

Offline badon

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2011, 10:48:41 PM »
Agreed on the Glock23 but for those that hasnt been paying attention its only a matter of time before our 2nd Amendment gets taken away from us to align ourselves (US) to a Global UN mandate whether we agree or not (think forced).  

2nd amendment rights have been gone since 1934.

Completely agree. All your coins if not most should be in the bank vault(s).

http://www.google.com/search?q=safe+deposit+box+seizures

You have more to fear from "the good guys" in government than you have to fear from criminals. Either way, nearly all of the "criminals" were manufactured by the government to give you something to fear, so they can justify their governing. If they can't produce enough criminals, they engage in false flag operations to make it appear that criminals are everywhere.

As a wild guess, I would say that you are at least 60 times more likely to be victimized by the government on any random day than you are to be victimized by an "outlaw".

I think "outlaw" is a better word to use for "criminals who aren't part of the government in any way". Using the word "criminal" alone is confusing, due to the ambiguity between government and non-government criminals.

Offline glgehman001

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2012, 03:23:19 AM »
Rifle safes work wonderfully for gold bullion.  I wouldn't trust a bank with my leftover tissues.  That being said when we bought our house a friend mentioned a local company she just loved, everything looked great went smoothly and a month later got a letter from JPMorgan Chase they owned our mortgage.  :sneaky2:

My money is at the credit union, my physical metals, coins are at home.

These non-ethical politicians, ugh, and some just aren't playing with a full deck to begin with...  Still being as dependent on money as we are, if you're in government and just have to press the right button during voting and pocket $100,000, what do you care what the vote was for, you just made 100k baby!  Do you know how many politicians actually read the bills they vote on.  I'd venture to guess not many and when they don't if they care at all what it is about they want the 2 minute movie pitch from their staffers.

Ok enough from me...

Offline glgehman001

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2012, 03:37:26 AM »
Oh sorry got caught up in the government stuff. 

If you uploaded it from your house the government can subpoena cable/phone company logs.
If they have access to the phone or device simple computer forensics will restore what you erased.

By DOD standards a hard drive isn't considered clean unless random characters, all 1's and all 0's are written to it.  But then it is only considered cleaned not sanitized.  You want the information gone for good degauss and burn it.

If governments were always right, there would be no need for guns, and they wouldn't have them either, but it wouldn't stop them from flying a micro uav into your house to make a crater.

Offline 94opalmtx

I keep my coins and bullion in a safe deposit box. I don't know who'd be more SOL, the robber or me for not having anything and them getting mad.

Offline glgehman001

Dobermans, Mastiffs, a pissed off wife, 8 shell sawed-off, electrified safe out of plain site, and never posting what you have on a website with which your IP can be retrieved and with enough knowledge and some social engineering traced to your doorstep.

Fact of the matter is the only ones you really have to worry about taking away your valuable wear suits and live in Washington.

But if you are truly worried about the information gathered from you camera try PIE, it asks if you want to strip all identifying information.

Or set up another account for your "store" on Facebook, post your photos there and then link to them.  Facebook strips all the info out of the photo.

Have fun.

Offline jrcannon

• Trade Count: (+1)

Sheesh, I'm pretty sure the freezer is like the first place thieves look when they rob a house. They are smart and know where people hide things. They aren't going to look in a cardboard box sitting on your desk- they are going to look in standard hiding places. They say the best place to hide things is in plain sight.
"The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, says the LORD of hosts." -Haggai 2:8

Offline dobedo

Sheesh, I'm pretty sure the freezer is like the first place thieves look when they rob a house. They are smart and know where people hide things. They aren't going to look in a cardboard box sitting on your desk- they are going to look in standard hiding places. They say the best place to hide things is in plain sight.
Thanks, jr. Interesting idea! So where were you when I first posted my question? Now you are making me digging out my coins from the freezer under a solid pile of ice cubes. Do you think I need to defrost them first? Would that damage the holders?

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
Do you have a forced air box heater that you can remove?  There is usually a space under them for storage before putting them back in.  How about a staircase?  You can store them under the bottom step and wood trim it.  For bullion, inside doors are hollow.  Can you remove the glued veneer and reglue after storing bullion?  Most upright freezers and refrigerators have empty spaces under them too..............