Author Topic: New Panda Commemorative for the Denver 2017 ANA World's Fair of Money  (Read 4535 times)

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
Re: New Panda Commemorative for the Denver 2017 ANA World's Fair of Money
« Reply #90 on: July 21, 2017, 01:41:10 PM »
Thanks for all the input on this thread.  I'm sure these show pandas will look fine, but I decided against them. Instead I bought myself a 1 oz gold panda surprise from APMEX, and scored a 2008 panda.  Pictures to follow, probably after I grade.  Thanks again everyone.  Best of success to Panda America and Modern Coin Mart at the Denver show. 

If you get a 69, or better, on the 2008 you will have scored a numismatic Daily Double. Good luck.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
The Gold & Silver Panda Coin Buyer’s Guide 3
www.pandacollector.com

Offline sdd1jmc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New
« Reply #91 on: August 05, 2017, 09:13:29 AM »
MCM only had 300 ANA panda coins available at the show, will this be the coin to get?

Offline 1003

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #92 on: August 05, 2017, 10:41:47 AM »
All 300 silver's? Any golds?

Offline sdd1jmc

• New
« Reply #93 on: August 05, 2017, 11:00:35 AM »
All 300 are silver no gold will be available till after the show. Other 4700 silver not available till after the show.

Offline 1003

« Reply #94 on: August 05, 2017, 11:07:14 AM »
Maybe it's good value if there is an NGC show release label?

Offline collectingcoins

« Reply #95 on: August 05, 2017, 03:17:43 PM »
Pictures of Modern Coin Mart ANA Denver. Have a wonderful weekend.

Offline panda

« Reply #96 on: August 05, 2017, 06:48:39 PM »
Pictures of Modern Coin Mart ANA Denver. Have a wonderful weekend.

Most beautiful Panda medal!

Online KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #97 on: August 05, 2017, 11:56:11 PM »
If MCM can sell all 5000 medals and fast enough then there will be a wider base of collectors than is usually the case with the smaller mintage medals, hopefully continuing to fuel demand for same medals in years to come. This is all conjecture on my part.

Can't see anything off putting in the design based on my limited experience but large silver proof fields like this always seem to beckon spotting to take a swipe!
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+14)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #98 on: August 06, 2017, 05:25:14 PM »
Asset Marketing (govmint and MCM) has a large customer base, majority of which buy coins as gifts for grandkids with the hope someday it will be worth a fortune.  Majority of the coins will disappear from the market for many years to come.  Whether it brings new collectors to the market, for sure, how many it is hard to say as most of these buyers buy whatever is marketed at them and don't have a connection with a given country, next week they will buy super heros or frosted maple leaf.

The PA medal went into collectors hands, they were selling one off to those that wanted a China coin.

Offline pandaberlin

« Reply #99 on: August 12, 2017, 08:45:16 AM »
I also said it on another forum and i'll repeat it here, i don't think it is a good idea to mint ultra low mintage varieties in different metals and give them to vips, members, dealers or best buddies so that they can make a guaranteed profit. I think collectors like to have complete sets and taking away the hope of ever owning a complete set for reasonable prices right from the start is counter-productive (just my humble opinion, though, others might find these rarities exciting)

I totally agree with this opinion and this is also what you saw back in Germany during the World Money Fair. All off a sudden, five different versions of a medal pop up. And the regular collector will never get to see them.

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #100 on: August 12, 2017, 12:33:12 PM »
In Denver, there was an active discussion between a handful of important China coin dealers about narrowing the definition of a Show Panda. Sentiment is strong to reign in the trend of issuing multiple versions of an issue, especially if these are not released to the public. All dealers I spoke to say this practice discourages collectors.

The general outline for a solution would require that a Show Panda be available, or at least be available for pre-orders, on the floor of the relevant coin show. If not, then the products would be called something else, perhaps, "Coin Show design medals"?

For my own part, as in the current "Gold & Silver Panda Coin Buyer's Guide 3" book, private issues will continue to be found in the "World of Pandas" section, not in the main dates section. There they are prominently noted as private issues, not from official government mints. The significance of being struck by a government mint is that the government issue must go through an approval process and follow all government regulations and requirements. They carry the approval and reputation of a monetary authority.

Anyone who wishes to comment on this is very welcome to as talks are ongoing.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline Bearcat

• Supporter
« Reply #101 on: August 12, 2017, 03:02:29 PM »
Thanks Peter, I concur with this approach.

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #102 on: August 12, 2017, 05:27:18 PM »
Pardon the misspelling: the word in the second sentence of my last post should be rein, not reign.  :scared:

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline Clark Smith

• Supporter
    • Clark Smith
« Reply #103 on: August 12, 2017, 07:19:39 PM »
I believe that to be a "Show Panda" the medals should be sold at the show.    If you lined up, you should have been able to buy one until they are sold out.     

Obviously some medals might be saved by the distributor for some other purposes, but certainly not the entire mintage of a medal (as was the case with the 1oz gold medal at the 2017 ANA).   None of the gold medals were sold at the show!

Online KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #104 on: August 13, 2017, 01:24:11 AM »
In Denver, there was an active discussion between a handful of important China coin dealers about narrowing the definition of a Show Panda. Sentiment is strong to reign in the trend of issuing multiple versions of an issue, especially if these are not released to the public. All dealers I spoke to say this practice discourages collectors.

The general outline for a solution would require that a Show Panda be available, or at least be available for pre-orders, on the floor of the relevant coin show. If not, then the products would be called something else, perhaps, "Coin Show design medals"?

For my own part, as in the current "Gold & Silver Panda Coin Buyer's Guide 3" book, private issues will continue to be found in the "World of Pandas" section, not in the main dates section. There they are prominently noted as private issues, not from official government mints. The significance of being struck by a government mint is that the government issue must go through an approval process and follow all government regulations and requirements. They carry the approval and reputation of a monetary authority.

Anyone who wishes to comment on this is very welcome to as talks are ongoing.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

A Show Panda by implication is a medal designed specially to commemorate a Numismatic convention. Every other consideration is semantics but still important if limits have to be set in place. The reason why these limits have to be defined is to protect this class of medals from the machinations of commercial entities that have aggressively invaded the commemorative medals' arena with potentially harmful effects on the continued success of Modern Chinese Coin collection.

1: A Show Panda has to be permitted/licensed by the organization that is hosting the Numismatic convention e.g. ANA.

2: A Show Panda can be produced on time and sold ahead of the convention to ALL interested parties through the common well known channels including Ebay. But it must be sold at the CONVENTION in enough numbers to satisfy all customers presenting to the booth to buy the medal.

3: Panda medals that are presented EXCLUSIVELY to interest groups including dealers, sponsors, friends, family, politicians, employees etc with regular collectors not having a REASONABLE chance of obtaining these medals at REASONABLE prices are NOT Show Pandas. Furthermore, they shouldn't be medals recognized by TPGs such as NGC and PCGS for inclusion in official collector recognition programs such as the Coin Registry and other programs. These are not medals that are available to the collecting public.

4: A medal that is not available before and during the convention is not a Show medal.

5: A Panda medal that is not available at the Convention in a manner that all participants have a reasonable chance of buying the medal either as in a one-to-one basis or in the form of a lottery at the convention should not be a Show Panda.

Finally, the 800Ib gorilla is the reality that commercial concerns manipulate the market in a blatant fashion and skew the valuation of these medals in such a way that there is a ZERO chance that the said items will gain in value after having made the sponsor and inner circle the initial profit they seek. People eventually figure out these these things and move on elsewhere and are lost to the MCC collector field.

No one is going to chase a medal down the rabbit hole anymore (except 2-3 US based inveterate enthusiasts) because there are better medals down the production pipeline and there are better deals in other country mint products.

We don’t need a multiplicity of terminology because that will lead nowhere (e.g. Coin Show Design Medals etc). I believe all should be called Coins failing which they should all be called Medals. Since Show Panda has already been introduced they may retain that title for those that fulfill the STRICT criteria.

This might be a repetition of some of your points but they need amplification.

With best wishes.
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!