Author Topic: "Chinese Coins Live." A competiting subscription for pricing research  (Read 16161 times)

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
Another subscription service for pricing information on Chinese coins.  It will be interesting to see how competition will alter this subscription realm.

https://www.chinesecoinslive.com/
https://www.chinesecoinslive.com/about

Their highest level service appears to be $99.95/month ($1200/yr) with data updates every 1-2 days.

Offline Wafdawg

• Trade Count: (+5)
I received an email yesterday about it with a sample PDF.  Do you know who is behind this?

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
I received an email yesterday about it with a sample PDF.  Do you know who is behind this?

Look at the "about" link.  It mentions Richard Blair (Coinex) and translation by Frank Wang

Offline silberschatzimsee

• Trade Count: (0)
For me a casual collector has ~50 different pandas. N20

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
Another subscription service for pricing information on Chinese coins.  It will be interesting to see how competition will alter this subscription realm.

Their highest level service appears to be $99.95/month ($1200/yr) with data updates every 1-2 days.

Collector = $19.95/month
Collector+ = $49.95/month
Expert/Expert+ = $99.95/month

Could the top tier service be useful for someone who buys and sells on a coin exchange?
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline 1668Chris

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+11)
    • Coin Armour
Almost 3 x the pricepedia....not sure if it's worth it for a collector.  Just by cross referencing a couple of sources you should be able to determine the market value range.  YJZX, zhaoonline, and any recent stacks or heritage auction should give you enough info.  All this takes is maybe 20 minutes or so.

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
It will be interesting to see how competition will alter this subscription realm.

I hope this new service helps grow the level of interest in modern Chinese coins. China Pricepedia will have a new "feature" for subscribers in the next couple of months. It has been in the pipeline for the last half year and should be available in September or October.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Almost 3 x the pricepedia....not sure if it's worth it for a collector.  Just by cross referencing a couple of sources you should be able to determine the market value range.  YJZX, zhaoonline, and any recent stacks or heritage auction should give you enough info.  All this takes is maybe 20 minutes or so.

Not to forget that your collection portfolio has to generate at least 12*99$ a year that you dont make a loss.

Offline KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
The history of the internet has shown that prices for research goes down year after year until it is finally free, with advertising and other services as the primary source of revenue.  

Free research and insight is the best way to bring new collectors into the hobby, CCF is the single best source for information for English speaking collectors and investors.

Offline Panda Halves

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
Free research and insight is the best way to bring new collectors into the hobby, CCF is the single best source for information for English speaking collectors and investors.

Well stated. I agree completely. +1

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+48)
Re: "Chinese Coins Live." A competiting subscription for pricing research
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2016, 06:04:52 PM »
Richard Blair can't even keep his website updated once monthly, so how is he going to offer a subscription service that delivers accurate pricing every 1-2 days?

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2016, 06:49:20 PM »
It is said that the only ones that made money during the California gold rush were the support services providers!   N33

Offline xiaohei99

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2016, 07:34:26 PM »

The fee charged is so high, yet the prices in the sample panda price file are intentionally obscured.

I don't see any use of the sample file, hence I doubt any good services they can provide going forward.

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2016, 07:36:06 PM »
The history of the internet has shown that prices for research goes down year after year until it is finally free, with advertising and other services as the primary source of revenue.  

Leaving aside any questions about numismatic information pricing, I don't think that has always worked within specialized areas of knowledge. For instance, I know someone who offers information geared to architects. It is quite expensive. Or, take a look at LexisNexis for legal and financial information: http://www.lexisnexis.com/terms/21/pricing/

I completely agree that this Forum is great and recommend it to everyone!

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com

Offline Luxor

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2016, 01:16:30 PM »
Hi all,

interesting discussion, indeed. I am a German collector of Chinese coins. In the last ca. 9 months, Richard Blair was so kind, to ask me to test his new service. It was a great pleasure. Maybe later I will write my thoughts about the new service.
But for now, I hope, you all will NOT use this new service ;-) Because the new service gives me a big advantage each day :-)
No joke: The message 24 hours ago, that now the new service is available for everyone was a little shock for me ... But ok, I think, 19-99 Dollar is much money for you all :-) So better you save this money :-) It is not so important, to have all the actual prices ofChinese coins worldwide. Just look on ebay or on old prices.
 :-) That is good enough. Hey, collecting coins, means fun and has nothing to do with earning money ... You like coins, so it doesn´t matter, if you buy expensive or sell cheap. Do not worry about these things, do not worry about actual price trends, changes in prices and so on. Life is too short to worry about such things :-)  By the way: Sorry for my English, I know a good friend of mine is ashamed for my bad English. Greetings to you, Bruno ;-) But as we all know, also with poor English, one can be very successfull in Germany. Example? Remember the famous English spoken speech by our very famous German EU Kommissar Guenther Oettinger:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y18MA5APZI  He translated a well known German proverb  "we are all sitting in one boat". To my mind, this is a nice picture of the actual situation in the Chinese coin market, which is like an ocean: Most collectors and European and American dealers of Chinese coins are sitting together in one sailing boat, hoping for the right wind breeze, looking with their eyes on the horizon and waiting for "land ahoy" :-)   Ok, if you like sailing the old way, that´s fine for you .. BUT:  I prefer to sit in a sailing boat with a 2000 horse power engine hidden backwards and modern GPS Systems and some other interesting features to reach my goal a little bit faster than you will. So, PLEASE, stay out of my boat :-)   Happy collecting, folks and stay away from my boat :-)

Offline Honus

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
    • Anvil Fine Wares
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2016, 01:43:31 PM »
Hi all,

interesting discussion, indeed. I am a German collector of Chinese coins. In the last ca. 9 months, Richard Blair was so kind, to ask me to test his new service. It was a great pleasure. Maybe later I will write my thoughts about the new service.
But for now, I hope, you all will NOT use this new service ;-) Because the new service gives me a big advantage each day :-)
No joke: The message 24 hours ago, that now the new service is available for everyone was a little shock for me ... But ok, I think, 19-99 Dollar is much money for you all :-) So better you save this money :-) It is not so important, to have all the actual prices ofChinese coins worldwide. Just look on ebay or on old prices.
 :-) That is good enough. Hey, collecting coins, means fun and has nothing to do with earning money ... You like coins, so it doesn´t matter, if you buy expensive or sell cheap. Do not worry about these things, do not worry about actual price trends, changes in prices and so on. Life is too short to worry about such things :-)  By the way: Sorry for my English, I know a good friend of mine is ashamed for my bad English. Greetings to you, Bruno ;-) But as we all know, also with poor English, one can be very successfull in Germany. Example? Remember the famous English spoken speech by our very famous German EU Kommissar Guenther Oettinger:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y18MA5APZI  He translated a well known German proverb  "we are all sitting in one boat". To my mind, this is a nice picture of the actual situation in the Chinese coin market, which is like an ocean: Most collectors and European and American dealers of Chinese coins are sitting together in one sailing boat, hoping for the right wind breeze, looking with their eyes on the horizon and waiting for "land ahoy" :-)   Ok, if you like sailing the old way, that´s fine for you .. BUT:  I prefer to sit in a sailing boat with a 2000 horse power engine hidden backwards and modern GPS Systems and some other interesting features to reach my goal a little bit faster than you will. So, PLEASE, stay out of my boat :-)   Happy collecting, folks and stay away from my boat :-)

Some random thoughts after reading this...

- I like smiles, and think the world is a better place when more people smile.  But this does not apply to forum posts - when someone smiles or winks 10 times, I see red flags.

- I hope Richard Blair didn't pay for this endorsement.

- Does this person think we're sitting around waiting for squirrels to come running up with pricing data written on the insides of chestnut shells?

- Don't be ashamed of your English, I think it's perfectly fine.  But tell Bruno we also all send our regards.  Why not.

- I like the boat analogy...I hope you enjoy yours, I'm going to go play with my dinghy.  It's in the pond behind the cabin.   
Eric Liquori
Anvil Fine Wares
www.anvilfinewares.com

Offline Luxor

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2016, 02:33:19 PM »
@Honus

Wonderfull reply, thank you very much, Honus. I do like your style of writing, as well as your style of humor and irony.
SORRY for all my smileys. You are right. Usually  I do not use smiley this way. My mistake. And I do agree. This usually is not an indication for a serious message.

To give you some background information of my posting mentioned above:

As I told you, I was someone who used this service for about 9 months. I was a so called "Test person".

This morning I saw this thread and wondered about some, to my mind, negative reactions concerning the new coin service.

No, dear Honus, no money was paid for my message.   That is not the style of Richard. So by the way, this is , to my mind, an insult of one
of most respectable, trustworthy person in coin business.

I wonder about these negative reactions, because, to my mind, you all do not see the great chances lying ahead with this new service for the complete Chinese
coin market.

Think about shares (Wallstreet ...): You only can do an investment, if you do have e.g. charts, actual prices wordwide, background informations about
shares.

The so called BIG MONEY must have the chance to get all informations about an investment in an easy way.
The Big MONEY must have a "system" to watch prices, compare prices worldwide, to recognize trends etc. etc.

New persons, new money entering this Chinese coin market wanting such a system, giving them with one look all informations about
the PAST and the actual situation, to

The new system by Richard, to my mind, is the perfect system, to get the attention of the big, the so called smart money.

And if new BIG MONEY will flew into our Chinese coin market, prices will rise. And this, this is good for ME and for YOU as well.

So, no need for you as an expert to use this system. For ME it was a fantastic system.

Dear Honus, please take some time to think about my opinion. Big money is not reading this forum. I do like this forum very much.
I helped me so much years ago.
But to my mind, this market has reached a new stage! BIG MONEY! Like, e.g. in the past, the art market.

So, no need to blame me .. I am not your opponent. In this case, I am sitting in the same boat with you:

I do want to see rising prices for my collection, which also is an investment at the same time.
I do want to see new persons, new big money entering our market.

All the best - you can swim without a boat in this ocean of Chinese coins (beware of the sharks and even a hunting for the Snark ), you can use your boat or you can
use the new boat with 2000 horsepower engine and GPS from Richard. That is your very own decision.

Luxor

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+48)
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2016, 02:48:11 PM »
Luxor,

How would having this new pricing data help me, an American collector/investor with a small-medium sized collection of MCC, realize the best prices when selling my coins? I have few to no direct connections to people in China who are actually willing to PAY market prices for coins. I know, for example, that a 1992 1 oz go,d panda in NGC 69 is a $2k coin on Zhao, but nobody here at CCF or on eBay seems willing to pay that. So how would knowing the coin is "worth" $2k in China help me here in the USA, when it is only worth $1700 here?

Offline Luxor

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2016, 03:04:23 PM »
Dear Mirkkanen,
thank you very much for your reply. I wish I could answer in German language. That would be much easier for me.
Ok, I will try my best:
First, this is , to my mind, a perfect example for the benefit you can get from Richards system:
It took me 10 seconds to see the complete price development of all prices of 1 Oz Gold Panda coins 1992, small date, large date,
sold in a set of coins, sold in 69 / 68 or without grading etc. with LINKS to all auctions.
So first let me state, that your price is NOT actual. Sorry. Last auction results in China were lower. So this could be a reason for not finding an interested Chinese coin dealer. 10 seconds to check. Only 10 seconds. I do love this system.

By the way: My suggestion to Richard during the 9 months of testing was, also to work out a section for TRADING ...

By the way 2: Indeed it could be a good idea for Richard, to give big (Chinese) Coin dealers a section for introducing themselves together with email/adress etc.

I will send your idea to Richard, ok?

Best, Luxor

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2016, 03:18:51 PM »
Luxor,

How would having this new pricing data help me, an American collector/investor with a small-medium sized collection of MCC, realize the best prices when selling my coins? I have few to no direct connections to people in China who are actually willing to PAY market prices for coins. I know, for example, that a 1992 1 oz go,d panda in NGC 69 is a $2k coin on Zhao, but nobody here at CCF or on eBay seems willing to pay that. So how would knowing the coin is "worth" $2k in China help me here in the USA, when it is only worth $1700 here?

I think most people on this forum are reasonable when they are negotiating.  If someone offers you X dollars for a coin, saying it sold for X dollars on US eBay (all they can see), and you counteroffer, providing links to recent sales in Switzerland, or wherever, showing a price of X + $500, then that might be a useful tool for your negotiation.  It might persuade the potential buyer to up their offer price.

On the other hand, the person you are negotiating with might say, I don't care what it sells for in Switzerland, eBay US says X dollars and that is all I'm going to pay in the US.  It reminds me of the pawn shop scene in Trading Places https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLo7tHDHgOc

Any benefit the information provides you in negotiation must be weighed against its price.  Luxor enjoys the system, but would he pay $1200/yr for it once the testing period expires?  Perhaps the entry level version would be a useful compromise of lower price, but still good information.  If someone tries the pay service, keep us updated on the pros and cons.

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2016, 03:22:40 PM »
With those prices i will definitely stay away. Have fun with your tool, your collection must be at least 6 figures big to compensate the 1200 a year.  N21

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2016, 05:47:45 PM »
Out of consideration for another Chinese coin index we are aware of I have been reticent about getting into the nitty gritty of this discussion. But when a long silent registrant suddenly springs into life and starts extolling the virtues of a newly hatched servicing program one starts wondering and alarm bells start ringing.

Let’s quickly dispel any notion of “the common good”; no one ever lets the light shine on something for the common good if they can corral the information for personal gain. We have seen this play out in the stock and bullion coin markets, and other situations.

The only thought I had about this new program is will it be useful for momentum buyers and sellers in the coin exchange? I don’t even know if such individuals will gain any leverage with such a service. But time will tell!

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2016, 06:52:05 PM »
I would like to add my two cents to this discussion.

First, the dismissal of the service due to Richard not updating his regular website is a hurried conclusion. It would be more justified to judge the service on its own merit.

I have been working on the service, mostly as a translator and tester of the Chinese language version, for FREE in the past year. As many of you may have noticed, my own interest in Chinese numismatics has turned from precious metal commemoratives to circulating coins. (That's why I do not post much on the forum these days.) So I don't even have much to gain (unlike Luxor) from the data at my fingertips. Why have I been doing this?

Well, I have been doing numismatic related stuff for free for the past few years. I have translated for free many articles into English, and even more into Chinese, including the whole chapter on dies and die related machines in Denis Cooper's The Art and Craft of Coin Making. If something is worth doing, I don't really care much about getting paid.

I had little interaction with Richard before he approached me with a prototype of this service. I explored it, and concluded it was a valueable coin market service like none other currently available, and it had even more potential than what he presented. Of course one can dig through eBay, zhao online, YJZX to get some clue on the current pricing. I was doing precisely that. It is like checking out trees in a forest. Getting aggregated data from dozens of auction houses over the past few years by entering a coin title, presented in various forms, including charts, is like having a bird's eye view of the forest. Following is the chart of the Geyuan antiqued medal. After viewing the attached chart, would you fall for the prices currently offered on eBay? How much money will that save you?

Price exploration is just one feature of the service, although an imporant one. I don't have time to cover all the functions (such as text message alerts) and potentials of the service. Please take this advice: go in and explore it (including the price structure) before making conclusions. If you still do not like it after exploration, fine. But shooting from the hip even before seeing clearly the target will waste the bullets.

By the way, the $99/month service is not for the common folks. It is the tier for big dealers and movers.

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2016, 08:30:40 PM »
The members of CCF are precisely the audience of ChineseCoinsLive.  I think it is a good idea to invite Richard to discuss the ChineseCoinsLive idea on the forum.  The data aggregation of pricing information is a tricky subject and having the founder on CCF presenting his vision and responding to member's questions are time well spend.  My own aborted efforts in a similar project with the previous SysAdmin made me appreciate what a rocky road Richard is undertaking.  We'll keep the discussion civil, but thick skin and calmness are needed to travel down this road.

Fwang2450, thanks for mentioning The art and craft of coin making.  I've being curious about the large variations in MCC for several years now and I think the reason is due to different die making practices by different China mints.  So I'm interested in the step-by-step process of die making and how the best practice varied.  It is out of print, do you know where I can purchase or borrow one?

Edit, another comment for fwang, we do have a dedicated topic area for circulating coins, not very active right now but I hope you'll post your insights there periodically.

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2016, 08:59:42 PM »
By the way, the $99/month service is not for the common folks. It is the tier for big dealers and movers.

My critizm is that the price and the coin counter needs to be tweaked. 50 different coins is a beginners collection and not an experienced one. Those 10 coins limit is under perception threshold and not an casual collection.

So i would have to switch to the 99$ a month edition if i wanted to use it properly and thats too expensive for a average joe coin collector.

Maybe introduce something like a day pass so that one can check periodically if you feel like it?

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2016, 09:27:11 PM »
My critizm is that the price and the coin counter needs to be tweaked. 50 different coins is a beginners collection and not an experienced one. Those 10 coins limit is under perception threshold and not an casual collection.

So i would have to switch to the 99$ a month edition if i wanted to use it properly and thats too expensive for a average joe coin collector.

Maybe introduce something like a day pass so that one can check periodically if you feel like it?

I do not know all the details of the tiers and their limits. I am not sure what "10 coins" in your post refers to. The number of transactions per search? Or the number of coins in My Collection?

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2016, 10:26:39 PM »
Hi fwang2450,
I meant size of coin collection ;)

at the moment it is 10 for casual- 50 for experienced and unlimited for top tier.

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2016, 10:49:02 PM »
Hi fwang2450,
I meant size of coin collection ;)

at the moment it is 10 for casual- 50 for experienced and unlimited for top tier.
Thanks for your clarification.

If you are not happy with the limit, you can propose a number you think is reasonable. I will ask Richard to comment. But it is not necessary to put all the coins into My Collection. Those that you want to track most frequently are stored there.

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2016, 11:16:59 PM »
The members of CCF are precisely the audience of ChineseCoinsLive.  I think it is a good idea to invite Richard to discuss the ChineseCoinsLive idea on the forum.  The data aggregation of pricing information is a tricky subject and having the founder on CCF presenting his vision and responding to member's questions are time well spend.  My own aborted efforts in a similar project with the previous SysAdmin made me appreciate what a rocky road Richard is undertaking.  We'll keep the discussion civil, but thick skin and calmness are needed to travel down this road.

Fwang2450, thanks for mentioning The art and craft of coin making.  I've being curious about the large variations in MCC for several years now and I think the reason is due to different die making practices by different China mints.  So I'm interested in the step-by-step process of die making and how the best practice varied.  It is out of print, do you know where I can purchase or borrow one?

Edit, another comment for fwang, we do have a dedicated topic area for circulating coins, not very active right now but I hope you'll post your insights there periodically.
I have asked Richard to join the conversation here to address the concerns of CCF members.

I have PMed you about the availability of the book.

As for the circulating coin topics on the forum, honestly due to their low value and scarcity outside China, they will not attract a lot of collectors/investors in the US. That's why I did not post much on them.

Offline ccl

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Chinese Coins Live, LLC.
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2016, 02:15:34 AM »
The members of CCF are precisely the audience of ChineseCoinsLive.  I think it is a good idea to invite Richard to discuss the ChineseCoinsLive idea on the forum.  The data aggregation of pricing information is a tricky subject and having the founder on CCF presenting his vision and responding to member's questions are time well spend.  My own aborted efforts in a similar project with the previous SysAdmin made me appreciate what a rocky road Richard is undertaking.  We'll keep the discussion civil, but thick skin and calmness are needed to travel down this road.
Hello, I am available for this purpose Sandac and thank you for the invite. This won't be a trial by forum but instead I will solely contribute to a useful and productive exchange regarding CCL. Best, Richard

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2016, 06:15:39 AM »
Just from what i have seen, i like it.    This small, once a hobby, is growing up.    We need a service like this but it is too spendy for me at this time.......

Offline ccl

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2016, 08:12:59 PM »
Just from what i have seen, i like it.    This small, once a hobby, is growing up.    We need a service like this but it is too spendy for me at this time.......
Thanks pandamonium, we look forward to sharing more with you. Not sure if the free PDF was mailed to you or not, but it is available by visiting pandacoins.com

It has come to our attention that some users are finding our emails from hello@chinesecoinslive.com in their junk email inbox. If you were expecting something from us, please:

1/ check your junk mail
2/ add us as a known contact to prevent this happening in the future

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2016, 08:03:11 PM »
I joined CCL on a trial one week basis so my access is limited.     Have spent some time on it but not enough.    I noticed a glitch when i click View All Auctions it shows My Account.   Is our credit card information safe?     This market needs a upscale site for MCC.    Prices, graphs, widgets, photos of MCC, color charts, etc.. is what new buyers want.   I agree CCL could attract big money into MCC and probably will.     For a small collector like me it is priced too high but that is OK.     With the on line sites, books, price guides, etc it looks like this market is ready to rumble.........plus a world wide demand for bullion is of big help too.......low price era of MCC is coming to a end......

Offline ccl

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2016, 08:31:00 PM »
I joined CCL on a trial one week basis so my access is limited.     Have spent some time on it but not enough.    I noticed a glitch when i click View All Auctions it shows My Account.   Is our credit card information safe?     This market needs a upscale site for MCC.    Prices, graphs, widgets, photos of MCC, color charts, etc.. is what new buyers want.   I agree CCL could attract big money into MCC and probably will.     For a small collector like me it is priced too high but that is OK.     With the on line sites, books, price guides, etc it looks like this market is ready to rumble.........plus a world wide demand for bullion is of big help too.......low price era of MCC is coming to a end......

Hello Pandamonium, not a glitch, just not a feature available in the trial. Coins in auction is Expert level only. The GUIDE at $9.95 is the lowest price option. You might find everything you are looking for there if the $19.95 COLLECTOR license is more than you are looking to pay at this time. You'll get the links to the sales like the site, see https://www.chinesecoinslive.com/guide for more.

The free guide IS lightweight but serves as a free resource to share with those new to MCC/ Pandas.

COLLECTOR license includes the paid Guide.

Yes, of course all credit card data is secure and encrypted through a ssl cert. We use https protocol and STRIPE is the processor for payments.

• Supporter
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2016, 11:10:55 PM »
This quite an undertaking, I commend you on your effort.   I amazed you already have 5000 monthly readers, that is an amazing reach in such a short time.

A couple of ideas for you to think about.

1) Have Paypal as a payment option, I would never entrust any website to hold my credit card info except Paypal.  You could have all the safe guards in place, but there are hackers that can circumvent these basic protections.

2) The file sizes you are sending via email are ridiculously large, most emails have limits of 5-15 MB limit on attachment. 1MB-3MB should be the largest attachment size.

3) The biggest challenge with price guide is the quality of data, I scanned just a handful of transactions in the free PDF that looked suspicious and all reveled data integrity issues. 
It shows a 1988 1/2 that sold for $511, I looked at that one and it appears buyer premium is missing from the posted price.
It shows a 1993 1/2 that sold for $999, the transaction is over a year old and quality is non-omp, it is hard to believe no other transactions for this coin exist in the last year and having non OMP coins in the price guide makes the price posted highly subject to condition of the coin. 
It shows a 1993 1/4 gold panda proof sold for $349, the transaction it refers to is for peacock coin rather that panda.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2016, 07:51:04 AM »
You have 5000 readers already?    I would guess most are newbies and some w/ deep pockets.    Your site is what this market needs.    For me it looks like the end of cheap prices.     Good site and you can always make adjustments.     Please dispose of my card information in case of hacks.    Hopefully the crooks/hackers will be looking up Hillary's emails and not CCL's personal information........

Offline ccl

« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2016, 12:35:37 PM »
We don't store your credit card details (only last 4 #'s). A token is stored instead.
You may delete your own credit card when logged in here:

https://www.chinesecoinslive.com/my-account

We use TLS. Additional reading here:

https://stripe.com/docs/security

STRIPE is certified as a PCI Level 1 Service Provider. If you haven't heard of them before, they probably have your credit card info already as they are one of the main payment processors.

https://stripe.com/gallery

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2016, 12:43:32 PM »
Richard Blair contacted me yesterday and asked if I would be interested in having access to the top level features of the Chinese Coin Live site in exchange for writing a review.  I wrote back saying that I would be glad to do so, as long as he was OK with me writing thoughts on China Coin Forum without him seeing them first, and I could not guarantee that my ultimate review would be positive.  And, I asked that I be able to post a few screenshots that might show some of the data.  He agreed.  As a further caveat, I would describe this more as my highlight observations after perhaps ten hours of tinkering, thinking, and writing.  That is all the time I have available this week.  As with any complex site, there is a learning curve to getting comfortable with the features, and it would take more time than I have available to appreciate the full potential and do an exhaustive review.  I would also say that I leaned towards looking at the features that are only found on the “Expert License,” as that was what many people were curious about (Is it “worth” $1200/yr?).  I gather that there are some promotional introductory subscriptions available for the licenses with lesser access, and many people are already taking advantage of those right now.

My comments

The marketing for the site says, “The Future of Chinese Coin Collecting Has Arrived.  A New Era of Transparency and Intelligence.”  Since it is marketing, we might forgive them for leaning towards overstatement.  Overall, I would say that it does give access to data that I might not otherwise have seen (transparency), but I would like to comment on the “Intelligence.”  Although it gives you mountains of data at your fingertips, it does not relieve you from thinking for yourself.  I will mention a few cases where blindly following the compiled data might have caused some issues.

Expert License:  “Coins in Auctions—A powerful and essential tool to see (and filter) Chinese coins in auction around the world right now.  A simple and convenient way to make money on the buy side and save time searching.”  This is a very interesting feature that compiles many auctions for Chinese coins in one place. 
Although there still might be a few bugs in the search function (for instance, when I typed in “china gold 1/2,” I got zero results?), I see the potential.  I remember last year I got busy and forgot about the August 2015 Stacks Auction.  As a result, Arif (keydatepanda) was without stiff competition for bidding on G1/2 and he got some at cheap prices. 

http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=11617.msg67761#msg67761

A reminder of a few of the coins that sold in that auction.

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/1-1C7IN  1994 G1/2 NGC MS69 $3,500
https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/1-1C6WQ   1995 G1/2 NGC MS69 $10,000
https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/1-1C7FN    1996 G1/2 NGC MS69 $1700
https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/1-1C7CJ    1999 G1/2 NGC MS69 $1800
https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/1-1C7B3  2000 G1/2 NGC MS68 $1,500

Given what has happened to G1/2 over the past year, missing that auction may have cost me many thousands of dollars. 
We, of course, cannot expect all coins to behave like G1/2 in a certain year, but this is a personal story that illustrates that, yes, I could have monitored all of these auctions by myself without paying for a service (But, I didn’t, and I dropped the ball).  I would imagine that this service would prevent you from missing opportunities (call it insurance against letting things fall through the cracks).  It appears the site currently covers 10 auction houses.  That is about twice as many that I monitor individually (and some of those sometimes only sporadically).   The “insurance” might not pay off at all for weeks, but occasionally it may result in a big payoff, because it allows you to take full advantage of an opportunity that others missed (and you might have otherwise missed).

Expert License #2:  “Movers—All access to the coins going up and down the fastest”

An interesting feature that highlights coins that have sold for significantly more, or significantly less than the last sale.  Since the “Expert License” is updated every 1-2 days, this may give you an early notification of coins that are moving up, and may allow you to quickly buy in your local coin shops or coins shows before competitors.  Conversely, for the coins that are recently big “losers” it may give you a heads up to coins that have become out of favor, and now are available at accessible prices, and may be good contrarian long term purchases. 

I’ll emphasize, however, that the data are only what the algorithm computes when comparing a few recent sales.  Before you go out and buy based on this information you need to double check the data to make sure that there weren’t any errors in the auction listings (more on that later), or to make sure that there weren’t other issues.  For instance, perhaps both auctions were indeed MS69s but did one coin have White Spots of Death or some other condition issue, or was one an MS69 Star and the other just an MS69?  The algorithm doesn’t do that thinking for you, and that might be the explanation for the changes in price in subsequent sales.  The algorithm does, however, crunch a huge amount of data and present you with some prospects to focus subsequent research.  That could give you a first mover advantage that could result in some investment advantage.

Many of the above comments were fairly positive, illustrating the potential value of the expert features to an investor.  I’ll balance that with a key “area for improvement” for the site.  It is critical that you double check the leads that the algorithm gives you.  For instance, one of the first coins I checked was the recent sales data for the 2006 G1/4 gold panda.  Three of the last four auction results the database provided were not as they seemed.  Two 2006 sold on eBay on July 18.  One was an MS70 and one was an MS69.  The eBay auction listed them as G100Y in the title, so the algorithm sorted the sales into the 2006 G1/4 category.  If you look at the auction, however, the coins are actually G500Y (1 oz not ¼ oz).

Another 2006 G1/4 (an MS70) sold on eBay on July 24.  That auction was subsequently canceled by the buyer (I know because it was my listing) and the coin was relisted.  The “sale” still shows up in the data that the algorithm processes, but if you go to the auction listing you see the message that the item has been relisted.

Clearly, just as my example with the G1/2 is not typical of missed investment opportunity, I’m certain that majority of the data do not have the number of issues that this 2006 G1/4 subsample does.  I include it, however, just because it illustrates a point.  You need to double check the data on your leads.  One nice feature of the Chinese Coins Live site is that after each auction listing there is a button to click to go to the actual auction results.  This makes following up on things easy.  I mentioned this 2006 G1/4 issues to Richard and he pointed out that there is a convenient way to flag any result that appears to have a problem and they will double check the listing. That may be true, and by the time the data becomes available to the “Collector” license one week later, many of the problem listings might have been addressed.  Having said that, if you are one of the “Expert” licensees who is eagerly scanning the data as soon as it is generated by the algorithms, keep in mind that all of it is not examined for issues before it becomes available.  I imagine that some sort of data review and proofing is on the list of areas to address by the people at Chinese Coins Live as the continue to improve this new website. 

That’s all I have time for folks.  Let me summarize by saying that the Chinese Coins Live site is a powerful construct that allows access to huge quantities of data.  Many of its features may indeed represent the future of how coin data is processed.  Just keep in mind, though, that it can be like sipping water from a fire hose, so just be careful.  With all that power comes a risk of letting the black box computing do all the thinking for you.  If you recognize the strengths and limitations of the process, however, I think it can allow significant advantages.  It can save time and prevent you from letting opportunities slip through the cracks.  It can give you early notice of pricing trends.

Taking a quick glance at the features shared by the entry-level-price “collector” level, there are plenty of interesting information available at a more basic price of $19.95 per month.  You will have to determine whether it is worth the price for you.  One way to look at it is that $19.95 per month is the price of several Starbucks drinks or one dinner out.  Does having access to those data give you an equal amount of pleasure of insights in your collecting and investing?  If so, it might be worth trying it for a month to play around.  Or try one of the promotional rates that I hear are being offered.

• Supporter
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2016, 01:47:58 AM »
We don't store your credit card details (only last 4 #'s). A token is stored instead.
You may delete your own credit card when logged in here:

https://www.chinesecoinslive.com/my-account

We use TLS. Additional reading here:
https://stripe.com/docs/security
STRIPE is certified as a PCI Level 1 Service Provider. If you haven't heard of them before, they probably have your credit card info already as they are one of the main payment processors.
https://stripe.com/gallery

With PayPal I have two layers of protection, PayPal and my credit card company.  With Stripe I have just my credit card company to file dispute with if my information gets stolen. 

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2016, 07:01:43 AM »
My temporary guest license to the site expires in a few days, so if you have any other curiosities, let me know, and I can log on and have a final look, and give you an every day forum member perspective.  Of course, I'm sure Richard would be happy to continue to answer any questions you have about the website.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2016, 07:51:17 AM »
CCL is a game changer.    5,000 readers?      How many are paying members?     At $99 month X 1,000 = about $100,000 month.     Now that will buy some rare pandas.    To the victor the spoils.....

Offline bonke

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2016, 12:40:57 PM »
The comments are interesting.

I do not believe the new product will be a game changer for collectors or investors.

In the past, we have discussed the difference between dealers, investors and collectors.  As a dealer, it is critical to know the current "dealer-to-dealer  price," the "retail price" and price trends for a coin or medal so that the dealer may decide whether the spread creates an opportunity for a short term profit.  The dealer must keep turning his or her money over quickly to maximize profit.  The investor may have a longer view of the market, and real-time prices and price trends may not be as important.  Collectors are an altogether different breed.  A collector may purchase because of an "attractive" design, the condition, the price or just because their daughter was born in the year of the Dragon and the coin has a Dragon design.

As a collector who purchases most items for my collection at coin shows or at auctions, current "dealer-to-dealer prices" are not important because the dealers never seem to sell to me at these prices and the "retail price" for previous transactions is not important because I must decide whether to buy an item from a particular dealer at a coin show for his or her price or I must decide whether to continue bidding on an item in an auction.  I am creating the "retail price" as I make these decisions.  Am I wrong when I make these decisions?  Often!  Would a better price list help me?  Normally, not!  [I carry Peter's price list with me at shows and auctions, and I do refer to it as I make my collector decisions.] 

The world is afloat with modern Chinese coins.  Imagine.  Heritage will hold an auction at the ANA show in Anaheim.  Eurseree will hold an auction in Bangkok, Thailand.  Stacks, Spinks, Rarehouse, Champion and Baldwins will hold auctions in Kowloon.  All of these auctions will be held during the month of August.  And I do not follow the auctions in mainland China, Japan or Europe (unless they send me a catalog).  Along with these auctions, coin dealers are completing an untold number of purchases and sales which are mostly unreported.  And then there is the internet (Ebay, dealer web sites, domestic & foreign online auctions, etc.).

I am pleased to be a small collector and not an investor or coin dealer.

Mark Bonke

Offline 1668Chris

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+11)
    • Coin Armour
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2016, 02:08:25 PM »
It's funny....I must have tried to buy coins dozens of times using market prices from the pricepedia.  The response is always the same....sorry but I'm into the coin for more than that so I will just wait or that's nice but I want $x.

From my perspective at least I don't overpay which is where the real value for me comes.

« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2016, 04:27:35 PM »
It's funny....I must have tried to buy coins dozens of times using market prices from the pricepedia.  The response is always the same....sorry but I'm into the coin for more than that so I will just wait or that's nice but I want $x.

From my perspective at least I don't overpay which is where the real value for me comes.

Then there will be no deal with me if a dealer demands "top of the moon prices".  I bet he got it for a fraction of inheritance-sale anyway. N8

• Supporter
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2016, 05:35:56 PM »
Then there will be no deal with me if a dealer demands "top of the moon prices".  I bet he got it for a fraction of inheritance-sale anyway. N8

It doesn't matter what price the dealer or collector paid for the coin, what matters is how much they want for it and whether you think it is a fair price.  I can tell you from experience buyers that are more concerned with the thickness of the seller's wallet, rather than making an objective purchase decision will miss out on many great opportunities to buy undervalued coins.  I pay up to buy coins I need even if the person I am buying them from paid melt to acquire the coin a few hours earlier, it doesn't matter how much money he is making, I just want the coins in my collection or business inventory.

When I price coins I never look at pricepedia, NGC price guide or PCGS price guide, what I look at is recent sales on ebay, Stacks, Heritage and Zhou (just those 4 for good reason, can't say why publicly), then I look at my current replacement cost (not my original acquisition cost) and likelihood to be able to replace the coin in timely manner, then my comparison of value to other coins of similar rarity, then my cash flow needs, then I arrive at a price.  That price could be 10-20% below pricepedia or 10-100% above pricepedia, it all comes down to my own supply and demand analysis.  For example there are many 1oz NGC MS69 coins I can sell for 10% below pricepedia because I know sellers that I can replace the coins with, while certain 1/2 and 1/4 my prices are 30% above pricepedia, because I know once the coin sells I can't replace it. 

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+14)
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2016, 06:28:41 PM »
It doesn't matter what price the dealer or collector paid for the coin, what matters is how much they want for it and whether you think it is a fair price.  I can tell you from experience buyers that are more concerned with the thickness of the seller's wallet, rather than making an objective purchase decision will miss out on many great opportunities to buy undervalued coins.  I pay up to buy coins I need even if the person I am buying them from paid melt to acquire the coin a few hours earlier, it doesn't matter how much money he is making, I just want the coins in my collection or business inventory.

When I price coins I never look at pricepedia, NGC price guide or PCGS price guide, what I look at is recent sales on ebay, Stacks, Heritage and Zhou (just those 4 for good reason, can't say why publicly), then I look at my current replacement cost (not my original acquisition cost) and likelihood to be able to replace the coin in timely manner, then my comparison of value to other coins of similar rarity, then my cash flow needs, then I arrive at a price.  That price could be 10-20% below pricepedia or 10-100% above pricepedia, it all comes down to my own supply and demand analysis.  For example there are many 1oz NGC MS69 coins I can sell for 10% below pricepedia because I know sellers that I can replace the coins with, while certain 1/2 and 1/4 my prices are 30% above pricepedia, because I know once the coin sells I can't replace it. 

++++1111

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2016, 08:06:13 PM »
Richard:   I do not see any of Feng Yunming's medal sets on your site.      Why do you not list his medal sets?       I understand there are many that consider Feng's medals as private mint junk not official China Mint treasures.     However there are many members on this forum and dealers in China that are actively studying his contributions.    Once there is a book or other publication about him then the tide will turn in his favor.    The only reading we have is Fwang's blog of "Feng Yunming Semi Official..."      After all he is the Grandfather of MCC medals and low mint, new issue medals are popular today.   Does his medal sets fall under the Empire category?   No, they are MCC.    So why not list his medal sets?.......
Also, i emailed many collectors that do not daily read CCF or LBC and told them about your CCL.     They all have very positive comments and say it is long overdue to have a site w/ photos, sales, etc.....    In time i think it will be a game changer as information is right at the click of a mouse for new collectors/investors and constant research of books, online photos etc.. are not as vital.    So far the only complaint is price.....Very good site.....

« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2016, 07:42:04 AM »
It doesn't matter what price the dealer or collector paid for the coin, what matters is how much they want for it and whether you think it is a fair price.  I can tell you from experience buyers that are more concerned with the thickness of the seller's wallet, rather than making an objective purchase decision will miss out on many great opportunities to buy undervalued coins.  I pay up to buy coins I need even if the person I am buying them from paid melt to acquire the coin a few hours earlier, it doesn't matter how much money he is making, I just want the coins in my collection or business inventory.

When I price coins I never look at pricepedia, NGC price guide or PCGS price guide, what I look at is recent sales on ebay, Stacks, Heritage and Zhou (just those 4 for good reason, can't say why publicly), then I look at my current replacement cost (not my original acquisition cost) and likelihood to be able to replace the coin in timely manner, then my comparison of value to other coins of similar rarity, then my cash flow needs, then I arrive at a price.  That price could be 10-20% below pricepedia or 10-100% above pricepedia, it all comes down to my own supply and demand analysis.  For example there are many 1oz NGC MS69 coins I can sell for 10% below pricepedia because I know sellers that I can replace the coins with, while certain 1/2 and 1/4 my prices are 30% above pricepedia, because I know once the coin sells I can't replace it. 

Some guys demand phantasyprices and premiums which are not valid or were never achieved before. That was the point 1668chris ranted about and yes maybe my "putting the boot in that inheritance-sale" was a little unfair.

I also dont care how much the dealer paid before as long i get also a fair offer for both sides :)

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2016, 09:50:13 AM »
Lol 1668chris does not rant. He just says it like it is!  N38

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2016, 10:17:55 AM »
   ...   Basically I am puzzled at folks that get angry or frustrated at someone,s asking price on a coin, you can do one of 3 things, buy it ,make an offer that you feel is reasonable, or pass  no need to get upset :) I welcome offers on anything I have for sale if I do not want to sell at that price I either counter with my best price or politely say thanks but no thanks.
Dealers (I dont consider myself one at all)   who are reputable have spent a lot of time and money and effort nurturing those connections and relationships that they have outside the mainstream buying Channels. those are relationships that take a long time to build Many dealers have sold coins to customers and routinely buy them back with there customers making a handsome profit . fantasy prices  usually dont sell (au3000):)   I think a lot of frustration in our hobby comes from: when there are big moves in prices and someone see,s a coin go up 200% 300% or whatever in 6 month,s, many folks look at a dealer with a notion that he bought it 6 month,s ago for a super cheap price AND he is trying to Rob me now:)  Not true he is just asking what he believes to be the new market price. Such persons should not get mad what they should have done WAS BUY THE COIN SIX MONTH,S AGO.  it takes nerve and market savvy to keep paying a higher price for something knowing your right and not looking in the rear view mirror saying to yourself I could've paid X  six months ago.... FULL DISCLOSURE : I personally have not mastered that technique:) 

Offline silverpv

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2016, 11:32:14 AM »
i wish i could master that technique.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2016, 12:14:23 PM »
I "keep on trying" to master that technique!  N17

BTW au3000 unwittingly has set up an important market index.

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2016, 12:49:43 PM »
 Yes he has a KOT

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2016, 12:54:21 PM »
Maybe this is a good example of the 3 options........Ebay 142064678877   1989 1/10 Sino Japan You You.      I think they are more rare then they are given credit for but maybe not that rare........  notice seller is not au3000........
jc88888888   any time you deal w/ people and their precious money there is a high probability of conflict as usual, so shake it off and on to the next one....

Offline jc888888888

• Supporter
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2016, 01:47:10 PM »
Maybe this is a good example of the 3 options........Ebay 142064678877   1989 1/10 Sino Japan You You.      I think they are more rare then they are given credit for but maybe not that rare........  notice seller is not au3000........
jc88888888   any time you deal w/ people and their precious money there is a high probability of conflict as usual, so shake it off and on to the next one....

I think the seller hit one too many 8,s :) when listing :)   I know him and have sold him if you look at his other listing,s they are priced decent

Offline Honus

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
    • Anvil Fine Wares
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2016, 02:00:32 PM »
Maybe this is a good example of the 3 options........Ebay 142064678877   1989 1/10 Sino Japan You You.      I think they are more rare then they are given credit for but maybe not that rare........  notice seller is not au3000........
jc88888888   any time you deal w/ people and their precious money there is a high probability of conflict as usual, so shake it off and on to the next one....

I think that guy uses multiple eBay IDs, but isn't he the same seller that for a long time took photos of all his Pandas with his wife's cleavage immediately in the background?   
Eric Liquori
Anvil Fine Wares
www.anvilfinewares.com

Offline ccl

« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2016, 02:56:50 PM »

Richard:   I do not see any of Feng Yunming's medal sets on your site.      Why do you not list his medal sets?       I understand there are many that consider Feng's medals as private mint junk not official China Mint treasures.     However there are many members on this forum and dealers in China that are actively studying his contributions.    Once there is a book or other publication about him then the tide will turn in his favor.    The only reading we have is Fwang's blog of "Feng Yunming Semi Official..."      After all he is the Grandfather of MCC medals and low mint, new issue medals are popular today.   Does his medal sets fall under the Empire category?   No, they are MCC.    So why not list his medal sets?.......
Also, i emailed many collectors that do not daily read CCF or LBC and told them about your CCL.     They all have very positive comments and say it is long overdue to have a site w/ photos, sales, etc.....    In time i think it will be a game changer as information is right at the click of a mouse for new collectors/investors and constant research of books, online photos etc.. are not as vital.    So far the only complaint is price.....Very good site.....
Hello Pandamonium, it is not a stretch and if there is demand from our members, we can begin to bring those in and track their sales. Regarding price, at $19.95 per month, you support a site that gives you 7000-9000 Chinese Coin sales EVERY MONTH that have been organized by type and condition plus all the tools to make sense of them all and find out a realistic price whether you are buying or selling. The Chinese Coins Guide too. There is no annual contract so you can cancel at any time if you are not recouping $20 from buying and selling smarter each month plus tracking the values of your coins. It pays to be in the know and CCL was built to save you time and money. Now you have access to the system that I have depended on and spared no expense on either, that provides unprecedented data and tools. As Birdman said, it's important to still be you, do due diligence, buy what you like etc.. But now, you'll be able to do so with confidence and authority. That's what 220,000+ sales and counting gives you. So, maybe $20 per month might turn out to be a drop in the bucket all things considered.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2016, 04:41:26 PM »
I think that guy uses multiple eBay IDs, but isn't he the same seller that for a long time took photos of all his Pandas with his wife's cleavage immediately in the background?   

He is still doing it. I run across their PCGS panda coins on eBay from time to time. I try to keep my focus and objectivity but at times wonder why it is necessary and if it is worth it.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2016, 05:10:34 PM »
Hello Pandamonium, it is not a stretch and if there is demand from our members, we can begin to bring those in and track their sales. Regarding price, at $19.95 per month, you support a site that gives you 7000-9000 Chinese Coin sales EVERY MONTH that have been organized by type and condition plus all the tools to make sense of them all and find out a realistic price whether you are buying or selling. The Chinese Coins Guide too. There is no annual contract so you can cancel at any time if you are not recouping $20 from buying and selling smarter each month plus tracking the values of your coins. It pays to be in the know and CCL was built to save you time and money. Now you have access to the system that I have depended on and spared no expense on either, that provides unprecedented data and tools. As Birdman said, it's important to still be you, do due diligence, buy what you like etc.. But now, you'll be able to do so with confidence and authority. That's what 220,000+ sales and counting gives you. So, maybe $20 per month might turn out to be a drop in the bucket all things considered.

I do not have a problem w/ price as there are many benefits.     I see this market going up quick at some point so $20 month is very reasonable.   The sticker shock price is the opinion of my fellow small collectors.    I also agree w/ Richard that CCL will bring big money into MCC and if anyone knows it is probably him.    What other choice does big money have?   They all are gold/silver happy now and the best is minted in China.     Even Bill Gross the bond king of Janus Funds or Investments wrote a article to buy gold and assets like land.   He is no longer a bond king but a new gold king.  By the way i emailed Janus Investments this morning and recommended CCF, CCL and LBC.    Think of the cash Bill has and what will happen if he chooses this market.    That is just one hedge fund.     I will repeat my mantra, this MCC market will be a monster.    The only question is when?........

On the price of the 89 You You, i laugh everytime i see the boob shot.   Gotta be creative when the market is slow.....

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2016, 07:34:46 PM »

You did not answer my question about Feng Yunming medals.   Why do you not post his sets on CCL?    His sets are on Huang Ruiyongs medal star list.   Are you in the camp that sees little value in his sets or the camp that highly values his sets?  .........maybe this would be a good topic of discussion.      From what i see and hear, it appears the top collectors are buying his sets quietly before the rest of the market catches on.......somewhat similar situation as the 1988 1oz brass or gilt pandas w/ 200 mintage.....

Offline ccl

« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2016, 08:17:38 PM »
You did not answer my question about Feng Yunming medals.   Why do you not post his sets on CCL?    His sets are on Huang Ruiyongs medal star list.   Are you in the camp that sees little value in his sets or the camp that highly values his sets?  .........maybe this would be a good topic of discussion.      From what i see and hear, it appears the top collectors are buying his sets quietly before the rest of the market catches on.......somewhat similar situation as the 1988 1oz brass or gilt pandas w/ 200 mintage.....

Hi Pandamonium, response to that was first sentence of my message. Rephrased, there are no immediate plans but it is inevitable that they come in at some point. How soon? Depends on demand and if we get more requests from users, we'll prioritize it more.

I wouldn't be in either of those camps.

Offline ccl

« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2016, 03:55:41 PM »
https://www.chinesecoinslive.com/video

We are pleased to present our first video in what will be a series of demos and tutorials

Offline Butch

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2016, 12:53:23 AM »
This site is excellent, but I think the pricing is something to be reconsidered.  Or at least allow the viewing of more records for the collector price.  That's $2 to see one record once.

Really can be a great tool if you allow more access.

Offline ccl

« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2016, 11:26:40 AM »
This site is excellent, but I think the pricing is something to be reconsidered.  Or at least allow the viewing of more records for the collector price.  That's $2 to see one record once.

Really can be a great tool if you allow more access.

Hello Butch,

I'd like to suggest scheduling a demo where we can show you more of the possibilities and site features.

$2 per record is not accurate. With 3633 different Chinese coin types (and counting), across MCC, circulating coin and medal categories, it's more like 20,000-30,000 sales you can access for $19.95 per month. (Some more obscure types may have < 10 sales)

That's sales data alone but there is much more to it than just raw data such as: Timeline, Watchlist, My Collection, SMS Alerts, PM Prices, News Feed, Charts, In-House Metrics on the market and the Chinese Coins Guide PDF, all included as a part of your subscription.

Only this morning, I bought a coin on ebay for $500 under market value! I'll PM anyone details.

I could have kept CCL all to myself but decided that we can grow interest in Chinese Coins by providing a fair playing field to all, the experienced, the intrigued and everyone in between.

It is the ultimate resource for Chinese coin owners to make smart decisions, making money and saving time in the process.

I just took a look at the 'losers' section of the site which shows coins selling off-trend for much lower.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHINA-Silver-Coin-10-Yuan-2001-Colorized-Lunar-Series-Snake-NGC-PF-67-/142163873437?hash=item2119a08e9d:g:QHIAAOSw9~RXJvDA (paid $760.50)

If he/she had a CCL license, they could have pulled up the last sale for this item, 25 days prior.
http://www.yjzx.com/JingPai/show/sta/1/tid/43517/pid/62225.html ($103.40)

Just not making that single bad decision would have covered the cost of a Collector license for 33 months!

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2016, 07:38:25 PM »
CCL another medal.   I posted photos back in 2013     Search   topic: Selling 1997 silver flower medal set OMP       I was told this is a rare set too.   Do you have it listed on CCL?     Is it rare?.........   

Offline ccl

« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2016, 12:11:04 PM »
CCL Medal List

We have received a couple of inquiries into which medals are on Chinese Coins Live. Attached is a list of medal types we are tracking as of this date.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #66 on: December 06, 2016, 02:20:03 PM »
Great list!      For now, this is what i see missing....

Posted earlier w/ photos      1980 silver Shou Xing.    You have the 1987 but not the Shou Xing.    Is NGC still reviewing it?......

1990 15g silver Hong Kong "Bay view" proof medal.   It came w/ two medals.   You have the Ariel View.....

Posted earlier w/ photos      1994 15th World Cup 3.3 oz silver

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #67 on: December 06, 2016, 02:24:07 PM »
CCL another medal.   I posted photos back in 2013     Search   topic: Selling 1997 silver flower medal set OMP       I was told this is a rare set too.   Do you have it listed on CCL?     Is it rare?.........   

This one is also missing.    NGC 3613438-010        3613438-016  are two of the four  Tulip, Carnation, Peony & Azalea

Offline ccl

« Reply #68 on: December 06, 2016, 02:38:21 PM »
Once we have sales for any of those they will be added. For now we don't have any.

Offline ccl

« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2016, 12:32:59 PM »
Now you too can find out which coins have been making big moves.

Offline ccl

« Reply #70 on: December 21, 2016, 03:08:33 PM »
Just crossed 300,000 sales records as of last night that have cumulatively sold for $291,839,834

Chinese Coins Live now supports:

- Medals
- Republic, Empire, Provincial
- Circulating Coins

Sales Within Last 30 Days: 9686
Total Sales Value Within Last 30 Days: $7,518,843.98
MCC in auction now (reserve met): 1033

Offline ccl

« Reply #71 on: December 21, 2016, 03:26:18 PM »
Protect your capital and be smart with your time.

Timeline is the only place to access the latest sales for Chinese coins, medals and sets.

Be in the know, it can save you hundreds or even many thousands of dollars.

Offline ccl

Offline Rarityhunter

« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2017, 10:05:37 AM »
You guys was talking about price reference, those seems to be small issue,
when I was thinking that how much of the current social economical factors projecting into the MCC market.
From 2003 to 2012, the Chinese central bank was buying physical gold for a period of time, I don't know exactly when to when,
and how much, while there was Iraq war, Afghanistan war, but Eastern Asia was relatively stable.
Then What was the reason for the big boom in 2010-2011? The Chinese government's 4k billion RMB investment?
what will the reason for next boom? what will the reason for next big collapse? Wow, it's question far to big to worry about.

Offline ccl

« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2017, 11:34:23 PM »
 N34 Check out our latest video about 'Timeline', it's where you get the latest sales on Chinese Coins every 2 days (once per week for Collector licensees)

- tracking 100+ auctioneers & marketplaces
- choose between any of the six currencies we support, all sales converted using exchange rates of the day
- processing all sales we see, big and small. That's between 6500 and 10000 sales every month
- charts, datatables and tools to ensure your decision making is on point, every time
- No guess work or suggested prices, ever. Verify every sale with a click of a button. Online or in the Chinese Coins Guide.

Offline ccl

« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2017, 12:40:49 PM »
Great list!      For now, this is what i see missing....

Posted earlier w/ photos      1980 silver Shou Xing.    You have the 1987 but not the Shou Xing.    Is NGC still reviewing it?......

1990 15g silver Hong Kong "Bay view" proof medal.   It came w/ two medals.   You have the Ariel View.....

Posted earlier w/ photos      1994 15th World Cup 3.3 oz silver

@pandamonium - 1990 33mm Silver China Special Admin Region Hong Kong Bay View Proof Medal has been added to the database as we picked up a sale.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2017, 06:48:30 PM »
Thats good news.     Richard, i really like your CCL.    However, it does not say if a coin has spots or problems that could lead to a lower price sale.     This was mentioned to me by another member too.....

Offline ccl

« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2017, 07:17:02 PM »
Thanks Pandamonium, at this point we try and assign 'raw' designation to all coins with obvious imperfections.

That said, you can see any sale page by clicking any link for yourself.

We have a dedicated category for medals now, among others. I'll be happy to show you and send you a temporary user/pass to see it. If interested, drop me a PM.

Best,

Offline Polkrich

« Reply #78 on: September 14, 2017, 11:28:47 AM »
Many thanks to Richard for his great service.

Offline ccl

« Reply #79 on: October 12, 2017, 12:53:26 PM »
Watch 'Featured Coins' in action here:

https://www.chinesecoinslive.com/see-featured-coins

Good for members and non-members to see, enjoy!