Author Topic: Number of panda coin collectors  (Read 6341 times)

Offline Herrmo93

• Trade Count: (0)
Number of panda coin collectors
« on: June 20, 2016, 05:29:44 PM »
How many panda coin collectors are there in the US, EU , China? Has anybody got a rough guess?
Let's say collectors who have panda coins worth more than 5000 $, to make it easier.
This Forum counts 2062 members...

The prices that people are curretnly paying for some coins (Gold 1/2 oz 1994-1998), indicate a pretty high(and increasing) demand i guess...?

Would be happy to get some info, thanks  N30

Offline silberschatzimsee

Re: Number of panda coin collectors
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 05:45:49 PM »
For me 1/2oz is a big bubble but ok i might also only be jealous because i dont own one ;)

Offline moosician

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 12:07:12 AM »
Bubble or not imo it will depends if the trend of set buiding/demand will continue. Also more China collectors/investors are starting to take the BU Panda market more seriously i gather?

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 01:50:53 PM »
I cant believe there is such demand for explaining 25k$ for a single coin. How many masterset collectors are out there? 10-20? They already have their coins so the demand now is investordriven hopeing that even more mastercollectors are out there or start collecting. But new collcetors will go for the new metric system and would not care about the old stuff. Just my oppinion.

Offline Pandora

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 01:56:07 PM »
The Master Sets I think are being sold to wealthy bank customers for prestige, who are not necessarily panda coin collectors. I doubt we will see these coins again in market for years. That means, the available market supply has gone down considerable, leaving very little for collectors/investors out there. Particularly true for 1/2 oz-es. In addition, new master-sets are being built and dealers are building inventory of key/semi-key coins in anticipation. That leaves even less for collectors.

Offline r3globe

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 02:09:12 PM »
I cant believe there is such demand for explaining 25k$ for a single coin. How many masterset collectors are out there? 10-20? They already have their coins so the demand now is investordriven hopeing that even more mastercollectors are out there or start collecting. But new collcetors will go for the new metric system and would not care about the old stuff. Just my oppinion.

I believe the market is getting ahead of itself. The prices of gold and silver are fueling speculation. June is historically an inflection point for metals. Proceed with extreme caution. Markets like to trap the majority to move to the opposite direction.

Offline Obsidian

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 02:48:59 PM »
I personally have more confidence in the market now than I have over the last 4 years when prices were depressed.  The increase in prices is based on a tightening of supply.  I view that as a good thing for the longer term stability of pricing.  That doesn't mean that current pricing won't come down some in certain areas and increase in others.  Just like any market like this, there will be ups and downs.  My confidence is simply based on supply being very tight.  I am sure this tightening of supply has a lot to do with the master set builders and investors.  I don't have a problem with that.  If some investors / collectors are selling and taking profits and other investors or collectors are buying at the new higher prices then there is stability in the market.

Much of my experience is with US coins.  I am constantly amazed at the millions and millions of dollars that are exchanged each month in US coins via eBay, auctions, and dealer to dealer.  Much of the action is dealer / investor to dealer / investor on the higher priced coins.  The average new collector doesn't have the funds to purchase most of the higher end coins.  This is very similar to what is happening with some of the higher priced gold pandas.  Some of the collectors / dealers / investors that purchased these coins years ago are selling them at the new higher prices.  The fact that there are people to buy them at these new, higher prices should give us all confidence in the market in my opinion.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 03:09:59 PM »
Another explanation for the possible tight supply situation is that astute collectors/investors are hanging unto their coins expecting the market to go higher.
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline Mak007

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 03:20:32 PM »
Ditto Obsidian

Offline paul4444

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2016, 03:41:58 PM »
Obsidian I also agree. I think many American coin collectors are collecting Chinese coins today due to the low mint numbers in comparison to US coins.  Thousands to millions

Offline purpuratum

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+3)
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2016, 04:58:25 PM »
As a collector of ancient coins (beside my beloved Chinese Pandas) I'm pretty sure that this uptrend will continue. The older, the rarer, the better.
I believe that the metric system and the mintage in x-thousands to millions might put off new collectors and lead them to the older issues as they are 'more under control'
considering their low mintage numbers and a very little fan-club who bought those coins in the years of issue.

Why am I collecting Chinese Panda coins? That's easy..:-)
At the beginning I wanted to buy one ounce of gold from each country of the world.  
Then I came across China and discovered that they change the appearance/image of the pandas every year (btw: BIG disappointment in 2002 :-) )
And not only that... China has even different denominations!! WOW..!! so I sold all my ounces from all the other countries except China and started with my little Panda collection.

At that time it was very easy in Switzerland to buy Pandas from banks or from local coin dealers. Nowadays I go to the banks and ask for Gold Panda coins and
they tell me, oh we are so sorry, there was just another customer here and bought all Chinese Gold coins.... Well.... supply has dried up.  I'm fighting here to find the
coins I want at a reasonable price.

This all leads me to think that this up-trend is still intact!
Just my 5 cents  N48

Offline purpuratum

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+3)
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2016, 05:53:07 PM »
oops.. stupid Swiss mistake: just my two cents !!  :blushing:

Offline paul4444

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2016, 06:15:27 PM »
I love it. My grandfather collected American coins. When grading companies started prices of US coins blew the roof off old prices.  Now that I'm in my 40's I realize there are so many US coins out there.  Panda populations are minuscule in comparison.  So for me I love the hunt of tracking down high grade pandas.  My passion is hunting for those rare beautiful shiny pandas. 

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2016, 06:21:34 PM »
oops.. stupid Swiss mistake: just my two cents !!  :blushing:

You mean: Just my 2 Rappen ;)

I personally have more confidence in the market now than I have over the last 4 years when prices were depressed.  The increase in prices is based on a tightening of supply.  I view that as a good thing for the longer term stability of pricing.  That doesn't mean that current pricing won't come down some in certain areas and increase in others.  Just like any market like this, there will be ups and downs.  My confidence is simply based on supply being very tight.  I am sure this tightening of supply has a lot to do with the master set builders and investors.  I don't have a problem with that.  If some investors / collectors are selling and taking profits and other investors or collectors are buying at the new higher prices then there is stability in the market.

Much of my experience is with US coins.  I am constantly amazed at the millions and millions of dollars that are exchanged each month in US coins via eBay, auctions, and dealer to dealer.  Much of the action is dealer / investor to dealer / investor on the higher priced coins.  The average new collector doesn't have the funds to purchase most of the higher end coins.  This is very similar to what is happening with some of the higher priced gold pandas.  Some of the collectors / dealers / investors that purchased these coins years ago are selling them at the new higher prices.  The fact that there are people to buy them at these new, higher prices should give us all confidence in the market in my opinion.

I do not believe in it. I still think its not the collectors who are buying at the moment but the "investmentsharks". Higher prices attract more of that kind of persons and its an endless price spiral until the big bang occurs.
Yeah of course i am also happy that my old pandas go up in price, even though its only for the books, but i do not thrust this whole thing. The increasement went just to fast.

@paul4444
Yeah i also admit that i am speculating a bit by buying the new pandas. I think even 600000 mintage number is not a big figure with so many potential buyers from china.

Offline Mak007

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2016, 11:08:34 PM »
I believe the 1/4 ounce pandas are the next too go up!