Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
General Discussion / Re: China and Chinese Numismatics
« Last post by PandaCollector on Today at 05:39:34 AM »

3) Alternative investments are becoming available to chinese buyers, bitcoins (some have spiked 100-300% in the last few days), foreign properties, stock markets, business opportunities, visa programs, etc.  All these will compete with gold more so than ever, which will make bullion just an insurance hedge against inflation and war.   Bullion is no longer an investment, but a just a hedge. 

Bitcoins are restricted in China and I have not found anyone there on this trip who owns any. Most of the time I needed to explain what they are. This is one area where I could see the People's Bank imposing further restrictions. I doubt that China will be a factor in any future growth for Bitcoin, at least for now. Either that, or I just don't know the right people!

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
The Gold & Silver Panda Coin Buyer’s Guide 3
www.pandacollector.com
Has anyone been determined the winner?
« Last post by PandaCollector on Today at 04:55:17 AM »
Peter

Do you have any information suggesting the PRC will impose restrictions on the movement of numismatic items (coins, currency or stamps) into or out of the Hong Kong Special Administration Region?  If the PRC wishes to limit or prohibit the export of numismatic items (pre-1949) from the PRC, it seems as though it is necessary to expand this limitation or prohibition to Hong Kong and Macau.  Otherwise, it is too easy for mainland collectors, investors and dealers to circumvent this limitation or prohibition, permitting them to sell items in the various auctions and permitting buyers to remove these items from the jurisdiction of the PRC.

Mark Bonke

Mark,

I haven't heard anything to suggest this will happen in the foreseeable future. Also, I think it is prohibited to take older items from the mainland to Hong Kong, so the only coins in question are those already in HK.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com
Yuan Shih Kai Dollar / Re: Fatman dollar 1914-common but rare...
« Last post by Yoyo on Yesterday at 10:54:49 PM »
I believe I have the coin in photograph 7 based on the demarcation and history. Any idea on the value of this coin?
« Last post by bonke on Yesterday at 07:37:05 PM »
Peter

Do you have any information suggesting the PRC will impose restrictions on the movement of numismatic items (coins, currency or stamps) into or out of the Hong Kong Special Administration Region?  If the PRC wishes to limit or prohibit the export of numismatic items (pre-1949) from the PRC, it seems as though it is necessary to expand this limitation or prohibition to Hong Kong and Macau.  Otherwise, it is too easy for mainland collectors, investors and dealers to circumvent this limitation or prohibition, permitting them to sell items in the various auctions and permitting buyers to remove these items from the jurisdiction of the PRC.

Mark Bonke
« Last post by PandaCollector on Yesterday at 05:47:06 PM »
Older Chinese coins (pre-1949) in higher rarity might be a great investment going forward.    Better than modern coins.

The prohibition on exporting older Chinese coins from China should increase their scarcity outside the country. If demand remains strong then, yes, prices should continue to rise.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com
« Last post by PandaCollector on Yesterday at 05:42:14 PM »
Peter

Sometimes, I purchase items from USA-based dealers.  Is something "brewing" which will limit these dealers ability to obtain numismatic material from the PRC?  If so, it would be better for me to know sooner rather than later so that I purchase from these USA-based dealers while they still have inventory. 

Sometimes, I purchase items from PRC-based dealers.  Is something "brewing" which will (in general) limit the ability of numismatic materials to move into or out of the PRC?  If so, this would limit my ability to purchase items from PRC-based dealers.

There may be some occasional temporary disruptions, but I do not expect the supply situation will fundamentally change for overseas buyers. I think that this policy is actually a very pro-business development that will benefit collectors. From what I have seen, people who reportedly have given and taken bribes, or business "gifts", never give collectors, honest dealers or anyone else a fair shake.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia
www.pandacollector.com
« Last post by KeepOnTrying! on Yesterday at 05:20:59 PM »
Running with the herd .................... precarious (a la wg)!  :001_smile:
« Last post by Clark Smith on Yesterday at 03:22:11 PM »
Older Chinese coins (pre-1949) in higher rarity might be a great investment going forward.    Better than modern coins.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10