Author Topic: God of Wealth / Pagoda NGC Submission  (Read 4926 times)

Offline shibaji

• Trade Count: (+2)
Re: God of Wealth / Pagoda NGC Submission
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2013, 04:00:50 PM »
I don't know exactly all the reasoning behind him being asked to step down / removed as admin.  I'm guessing this was part of it.  I believe it was more complicated then just this.  As for why he was ultimately banned, this had little to do with it.

The coins you own may not have a direct link to Badon (although would you know if they were sold by a dealer that was linked to Badon?).  Once the hype was rolling and people were paying high premiums for these here in the US, several other dealers bought these from Chinese dealers and sold them here in the US.

Also, would it be safe to say that your interest in both Pagodas and God of Wealths was directly because of your participation in this forum and more specifically because of material you read that was provided by Badon?  Even though the coins didn't directly come from him.

Yes, this is true. My interests in Pagoda and GoW were heavily influenced by material I read here in this forum, of course along with many other coins.

Also you are correct that even if I did not directly buy from Badon, I cannot claim with certainty that those sellers were not influenced by Badon - however, I highly doubt that. I bought the sets from Clark and LogicPapa, who are very knowledgeable. I would be surprised if they were influenced by Badon - but it is not out of question.

At the end, I only bought the coins since I liked them, so all is good :-)

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2013, 06:39:59 PM »
Whenever i read suspicious pagoda NGC numbers, mine get checked.   So far they pass the tests.  Ben1668 sold many sets of pagodas.  Maybe he had an impact on the market.  Regardless of badons opinions of silver pagodas,  I and others have done our research.  The very low mintage, past price and unique design are too hard to pass up.  The pagodas are now well known.  We are seeing many other medals become legitimate thru grading, so the silver pagodas will bounce back.  Maybe not as high priced as 1 1/2 years ago but who knows?  The market will tell us............

Offline White_Rabbit

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2013, 10:38:45 PM »
How can you visually check if the coin is silver or silver plated if it's in a slab?

Offline Obsidian

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2013, 05:49:44 PM »
Apparently I hit a nerve...

http://www.LBC/smf/index.php?topic=5316.0

Please not I never once said anyone should be jailed or even did anything illegal.  I still stand by my opinion that the dealer I referred to and Badon is referring to was more closely tied to Badon than he will ever admit...
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 06:29:54 PM by Obsidian »

Offline Obsidian

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2013, 06:30:36 PM »
Apparently that URL isn't working...

Try this one....http://www.LBC/smf/index.php?topic=5316.0

Okay, that one isn't working either.  I don't know why the address actually changes after I hit save....

How come what I copy and paste into my post changes after I hit save?!  Even when not "linking" it...

So just look at Live Business Chat Investments list #170 and you will see what I am talking about.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 06:36:01 PM by Obsidian »

Offline comeaux

• Supporter
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2013, 08:13:08 PM »
Well to be quite honest Obsidian your post was accurate … the truth hurts, so be it !

I agree with everything you said and your post was very open, honest without malicious intent.

Who really cares what the 5 or 6 members at LBC think? LOL !  :laugh:

I meant to respond back when you originally posted it but I’ve have been tied up with traveling so I don’t post much but do read on occasion.

Hopefully the majority of members here were not lead on by the ramblings of a lunatic, I sure wasn’t. Admittedly the guy was highly knowledgeable and there was a time I had admiration for his knowledge but it did not take me long to recognize the incoherent and ridiculous postings about other things unrelated to coins. Much of it was unsubstantiated garbage so I had to question it. 

Although I do not post here much anymore, I do read here a lot.

In my opinion this forum is much better and stronger now with snowball more involved … Panda Halves, SANDAC & Birdman have done and exceptional job along with “Sensai” Poconopenn & dragondollar providing phenomenal support. These members along with the veterans such as you, hipanda, low, Gilmore, pandaorlunar (and many others) and all of the knowledgeable newer members (fwang, wg, raremedal, and a host of others have really made this forum the most knowledgeable and comprehensive Chinese Coin Forum available in English.

So anyway I do not wish anything bad on the former member who is gone, personally I like him and wish him well. The fact is that now this forum is much better off and stronger … he can continue at his website with postings of government conspiracies, men getting raped in prison, two thirds of the population has aids and all of the other ridiculousness … we can focus on Chinese coins here at CCF. It’s much more conducive to friendly discussion.   

Thanks for your awesome post and your contributions to this forum !!!  :thumbup1:

Ps. One of the members I have not seen in a while is exchange … it would be nice to see him come back.

Offline Gilmore

• Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2013, 08:17:58 PM »
Apparently that URL isn't working...

Here is why.

...There are tons of websites CCF has currently linked to.  The only site has being censored is LBC.

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2013, 08:28:49 PM »
Obsidian,
I went and skimmed a page or two of “MCC investment list #170.”  A few sections stuck out to me.  He says:

“I'm a very smart and capable person, and have more ability than I can make use of by myself, so I tend to end up in leadership roles in a way that allows me to use my excess gifts and abilities for the benefit of other people.”  That quote is worth a re-read

Another section that caught my eye:

“Another interesting fact is that it was the pursuit of that information that triggered my interest in creating the Coin Compendium. Once again, it is 100% free to you - I give away the information I obtain as part of my alleged "pump and dump" scam. Ridiculous. No single individual in the history of numismatics has done more to provide the raw data and facts you need to make your own investing decisions. There are nearly 100,000 pages of data in the Coin Compendium right now, and it's growing tremendously quickly. There are about 20,000 specimens, and about 35,000 sightings of those specimens out in the market...and people like Obsidian are convinced it's all part of my grand plan to defraud you of your hard earned money. Ridiculous.

Maybe if I quit blowing my cash on data for you in the Coin Compendium, I could actually afford to buy coins again? I have had to do trades instead of buying with cash because ALL of my disposable income goes into funding the CC. It's not a small project folks, and I'm supporting it entirely by myself, in addition to being the sole programmer. Hah, that's pretty funny. I had to start from zero and BECOME a programmer to make this dream into a reality. Think about it...that's not just money, that's some hardcore serious effort…”

He seems to be going to considerable lengths to convince the readers that his work is solely a charitable contribution to the field of numismatics; that he is investing considerable amounts of time and money for the greater good.  In browsing the Coin Compendium or the Live Business Chat MCC commentary, I have been struck by the high density of eBay links.  I’m no expert on these, but in doing a little research on the eBay affiliate and eBay partner network programs, it looks like each of those links is a money-making lure.

https://www.ebaypartnernetwork.com/files/hub/en-US/index.html

Whoever posts those links gets paid for the number of people that click on the links and go to eBay.  Thus, The LBC MCC investment commentary and the Coin Compendium seem like content platforms that attract visitors and then drive traffic to eBay and earn a commission.  If that is the case, then I have no problem, in general, with someone setting up a site to make money.  What bothers me, however, is when someone goes to such lengths to paint the picture that one’s actions are selfless and charitable contributions to the greater good.

My questions would be, “do all of those embedded eBay widget links generate money?”  If so, how much, and where does it go?  Until I know the answers to those questions, I am skeptical of whether these platforms are selfless contributions to the numismatic community, or whether it is all just a creative way to drive traffic to eBay and make money.  His quote, “No single individual in the history of numismatics has done more to provide the raw data and facts you need to make your own investing decisions.”

Again, I have no problem with creative marketing and a good business model.   Let’s just call it what it is and not try to pretend that it is a charitable effort worthy of receiving numismatic knighthood.

Offline comeaux

• Supporter
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2013, 08:35:18 PM »
The only site has being censored is LBC.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Offline silver222

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2013, 01:04:09 AM »

In my opinion this forum is much better and stronger now with snowball more involved … Panda Halves, SANDAC & Birdman have done and exceptional job along with “Sensai” Poconopenn & dragondollar providing phenomenal support. These members along with the veterans such as you, hipanda, low, Gilmore, pandaorlunar (and many others) and all of the knowledgeable newer members (fwang, wg, raremedal, and a host of others have really made this forum the most knowledgeable and comprehensive Chinese Coin Forum available in English.

Agreed... a leaps and bounds improvement.  Much better balanced discussions and contributions.

Silver222

Offline dobedo

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2013, 09:07:59 AM »
Agreed... a leaps and bounds improvement.  Much better balanced discussions and contributions.

Silver222
OK...but what about those concentration camps? What would I do with my GoW/Pagoda coins in one of those camps? :-)

Offline Gilmore

• Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2013, 09:35:15 PM »
I’m no expert on these, but in doing a little research on the eBay affiliate and eBay partner network programs, it looks like each of those links is a money-making lure.

Your observation is correct. All these links to eBay are a money-making machine. Interesting thing is that NGC and PCGS also joined the game and recently embedded the "shop" on eBay feature in their population/census pages.

Offline dynamike51

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2013, 10:39:04 AM »

Quoting Badon from his Live Business Chat:

“I'm a very smart and capable person, and have more ability than I can make use of by myself, so I tend to end up in leadership roles in a way that allows me to use my excess gifts and abilities for the benefit of other people.”   

Characteristic of narcissistic personality.   :lol:  That alone should raise plenty of RED flags.