Author Topic: MCC Auction History and Collection Management Tool  (Read 847 times)

Offline CoinScholar

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Coin Scholar
MCC Auction History and Collection Management Tool
« on: December 16, 2012, 02:36:30 PM »
Guys,

As some of you know, I've been busting my behind on staging a full-blown social network for numismatists.  Two of the features I've been thinking about adding are the ability for members to manage their collections, and the ability to search across historical auction data.

Initially I had integrated my site with the eBay API, but I don't think they are going to grant me the ability to use the API and store the historical data.  That's OK because I was only interested in historical data for graded specimens, and entering them into my database using my UI would not be bad; the only painful part would be conducting manual searches, like once a month across completed listings.  (Scraping is not an option, it is unethical.)  Since I already have the database schema to handle data storage for any coin in any country and I have the search engine completed, all I have to do is populate Pandas.  (Pandas would be my initial goal at least.)

The other task I want to accomplish is to allow members to manage their collections based on the aforementioned coin data.  I realize there are other sites -- some paid, some not -- that accomplish a bit of what I'm talking about, but they have horrible UIs and they are file system provided, not membership/database provided.  Nor does a single one of them provide an enterprise level, unified platform.  It seems silly to me to use a 1990s style Wiki with a generic search engine to do social networking in 2012, but maybe that's just the software engineer in me being picky.

Would any of you find it useful to have a collections management and auction search engine available?  Keep in mind that I am tailoring my development around MCC collectors, since it seems like U.S. coin collectors are stuck in the Age of Print.  Getting them to use the Internet the way it was intended to be used is like pulling teeth with pliers.

Offline CoinScholar

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Coin Scholar
Re: MCC Auction History and Collection Management Tool
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 08:16:45 PM »
OK, just an FYI.  I finished creating the Auctions sub-application and its integration with our community search engine.  It's pretty basic and available to everyone via the site search page or the search control in every page's banner.  I did not integrate it with my numismatic database yet because I'm thinking I want to do something similar to PCGS CoinFacts auctions, except for MCCs.  That could take a couple of days whenever I get to it.

I only have auctions in there for silver Pandas from 1983-1988 as a trial run.  I would obviously have to plug the rest of the data in manually, since it is against eBay's policy to use scraping or their API to get the data.  Somewhat painful, but if any of you find it useful I'll input more data in.

I want to focus on a collections manager for now, which should be infinitely easier than the auctions application.

EDIT: One other thing I forgot to mention: I used the auction ending date as the date in the search results, which allows users to sort based on the date the auction ended.  Most applications use the date created/modified, which makes sense for every application except something like historical auctions data.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 08:34:40 PM by CoinScholar »