Author Topic: Is it ever premature?  (Read 1276 times)

Offline mmissinglink

• Trade Count: (0)
Is it ever premature?
« on: November 22, 2012, 01:31:09 PM »
Is it ever premature to have a coin or medal authenticated?

The question may seem strange, but let me explain what has prompted me to ask.

I am new to collecting coins and new to this forum, and while this is true, it's not hard to see that in this forum, there appears to be members who are exceptionally knowledgeable and their research on MCC is highly commendable. That to me indicates that we have some real experts on MCC and medals in this forum.

Yet, for some modern Chinese coins and medals, there still seems to be a lot of confusion on some of the important specifics of a coin / medal. This thread is certainly open to the examination of all such coins and medals, but I will use the Great Wall medal of the 1980's as a representative example of this point.

Some of the very informed members here who have commented on the Great Wall medal have used references to specialty books and other sources like auction house info and so forth which seem like very authoritative references for anybody to use, including experts and professional graders.

I have now read in different threads and comments here quite a bit about the Great Wall silver medal and there seems to still be great confusion (and this is in no way a judgement on the members because they are using the available references out there) as to the mintage numbers, numbers released, year produced, weight of the medal in question and so forth. One member even denoted how there appears to be several different variations of seal design of the Great Wall medal.

So, if for certain coins / medals even the available authoritative references can't give us definitive information, then how are graders from NGC or any other grading firm supposed to do any better.

So, this brings me to the question: Is it ever premature to have a coin / medal authenticated when there's a real possibility that even graders may not be able to definitively know which version and type of coin / medal he or she is looking at?

Offline dobedo

• Trade Count: (+2)
Re: Is it ever premature?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 02:28:09 PM »
"Is it ever premature to have a coin or medal authenticated?"
Never. And if you don't like the result the first time, you can do it over again later. Better late than never.

Offline Panda Halves

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 04:44:03 PM »
As this coin isn't in an original soft plastic seal I would venture to say your cost basis for authentication is minimal on the risk/return scale.
Besides, I hear that only one in ten collectors suffers from premature authentication.... so you should be okay.  :001_tt2:

Offline mmissinglink

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 03:08:20 PM »
Thank you for the responses.

What I'm driving at with this question is, is it possible that there is still so much confusion and uncertainty about certain coins or medals that even the people at NGC are not able to determine the type of variation a coin / medal may be? That's because, as I understand it, authenticating would have to include the discerning of exactly what variation if any a coin / medal might be and if the available info to the experts is conflicting or somewhat vague, maybe authentication for that specific medal is premature....no? Yes, a coin can be regraded as many times as one wants, but that's certainly not ideal even if one could afford to re-grade more than once.

I'm just talking out loud is all trying to get a devil's advocate take on authenticating a coin / medal where there may still be lots of confusion concerning the variations....even by experts.