Author Topic: Info on sending coins to ncs/ngc  (Read 1546 times)

Offline Dr650rob

• Trade Count: (0)
Info on sending coins to ncs/ngc
« on: November 05, 2012, 05:00:16 PM »
I'm getting ready to send out my first ever batch of coins to ncs and ngc and I was wondering if your sending a coin out of a bezel will they automatically put it in a details grade for you? I seen on the ngc site you can select details grade but on the form for ncs I don't see it
Also should I leave the others in omp
What's the best way to pack them?
Any other info and tips would be great

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
Re: Info on sending coins to ncs/ngc
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 08:19:01 PM »
I'm getting ready to send out my first ever batch of coins to ncs and ngc and I was wondering if your sending a coin out of a bezel will they automatically put it in a details grade for you? I seen on the ngc site you can select details grade but on the form for ncs I don't see it

I would not send a coin out of a bezel through NCS, especially if it is worth more than $300.  Above $300, the fee for conservation is about 5% of the value of the coin.  Just send it to NGC and they will give it a details grade.

Also should I leave the others in omp

I would not try to remove the coins from the OMP yourself.  Let NCS/NGC do that to minimize potential handling or damage.

What's the best way to pack them?

I sometimes pack them with a cardboard flip between each coin and then wrap a stack of 10 with a rubber band and then bubble wrap, then all in a sturdy box.  The main concern is to prevent the coins from clinking against each other as the postman mishandles your package.  You could submit a coin that would earn an MS70, but by the time it reaches NGC it might be an MS68 if you don't package it well.

Any other info and tips would be great

If you have high value coins that you'd like to have conserved, you might consider joining NGC as a Premium Plus member.

http://www.ngccoin.com/MemberPortal/Login.aspx

This gives you 5 coupons for free conservation of coins up to $3000.  The pros and cons of this were discussed in the following thread. 

http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=5685.msg34479#msg34479

Good luck :thumbup1:

Offline Dr650rob

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 03:48:57 PM »
The coins that I took out of bezels are a 98 5y and a 2000 5y and 95 pt 5y and they have finger prints on them that's why I wanted to use ncs.  the 2000 you can hardly tell it was in a bezel
A fingerprint would just bother me when it's in a slab

Offline Dr650rob

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 10:35:41 PM »
Do you really have to pay $12 for them to put large/small date on the label

Offline Dr650rob

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 11:35:34 PM »
When does Ngc charge you for your order.  When they send it from ncs to Ngc or before they ship it back?

Offline dynamike51

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+15)
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 11:58:32 PM »
When does Ngc charge you for your order.  When they send it from ncs to Ngc or before they ship it back?

The charges from NGC should be included in the NCS invoice, if you first sent the coins to NCS. The charges will show up on your credit card sometimes immediately after NCS ships the coins back to you. Occasionally, the charges will show up weeks later.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 12:06:21 AM by dynamike51 »