Author Topic: Do I ask too much?  (Read 2420 times)

Offline NBM

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
Do I ask too much?
« on: October 30, 2012, 01:51:55 PM »
Is a simple answer too much to ask?

Me:
Can I get more information from you on the condition of this coin?
Are there any marks, scratches, dings, rubs, stains or oxidation spots on this
coin?
Has it been kept in the OMP capsule and never cleaned or handled?

Thank you for your time,
XXXX

Him:
I've answered most of these questions previously. Please see the revision
and the response. I scanned the coin without the capsule, while wearing
white cotton gloves. Please see the additional scans.
Regards,
XXXXX

Me:
No, you have not. Your scans bring the exact same questions to the table.
If you are unwilling to answer them why should I be willing to spend over $700 on your coin?

Specifically:

1. Are there any marks, scratches, dings, rubs, stains or oxidation spots on this
coin? (Yes, no or you do not know?)

2. Has it been kept in the OMP capsule and never cleaned or handled? (Yes, no or you do not know?)

Fairly simple, anything other than a simple response to me indicates deception & we will not be doing business.

Offline dragondollar

• Dragon Dollar & Chinese Coins
Re: Do I ask too much?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 03:43:15 PM »
Well, the seller answered politely and respectfully, along with additional pictures. It is very much possible that the seller has no idea if the coin was handled by a previous owner. High resolution pictures should allow you to assess if you want the coin or not. Anyway, if I received a message as belligerent as your last one, I would not be interested in the business of such a surly buyer.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 03:46:36 PM by dragondollar »

Offline NBM

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 04:01:17 PM »
He answered back and acknowledged white spots/oxidation.
Is honest disclosure too much to ask?
Yes, I have little patience with a seller not being forthright in disclosing flaws.
Did he answer my question in his first response? No, he side stepped the questions/issues.
Is this how you handle your sales dragondollar?

Offline dragondollar

• Dragon Dollar & Chinese Coins
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 04:10:48 PM »
If you had already seen a defect and were not interested in buying the coin, why waste more time sending curt messages to the seller instead of looking for better coins? I don't often sell coins, being more of a collector myself, but I simply know I would not deal with someone responding that way. Some level of courtesy is required from both sides in a transaction: people won't care for your cash if you hand it in a condescending way.

Offline Honus

• Supporter
    • Anvil Fine Wares
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 08:38:05 PM »
NBM, I don't think you're taking into account the magnitude or scale of your question.  When you ask if it has "marks, scratches, dings, rubs, stains or oxidation spots", are you asking if it has all of those things to the naked eye?   Or are you asking if it has all of those things at 2x magnification?  Or are you asking if it has any of those things at 10x magnification, such that you're trying to determine textually whether the coin would grade MS68/69 or higher?    You're looking for a simple answer, but that's not really possible because you've not asked a simple question.   And then you close your last message with an accusatory, insulting statement that if the seller cannot answer simply (to what is actually a complicated question), then by your definition he's acting deceptively.    I'm not defending the seller - I have no idea who this person is, or even what the auction looked like - but I am saying that your question, and the way you asked it, is not as simple as you think.

And something to keep in mind is an old saying...."you get more bees with honey than with vinegar".  It means, sometimes being nice and "warm" towards people will get you further than being abrupt and accusatory.   I'm an eBay seller, and if you'd sent me messages like you sent this other person, I would have just added you to my block list, no matter how much money you have or how much money you want to spend.  Not because I don't want to answer the questions, or because I don't appreciate making a sale, but because there are only so many hours in the day, and I try to spend my hours dealing with pleasant people, and filling my day with pleasant experiences, and filtering out those people who just don't seem to be very nice.  You may be a really nice person, but you don't come across that way in those particular messages.   
Eric Liquori
Anvil Fine Wares
www.anvilfinewares.com

Offline NBM

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 03:07:44 AM »
Guess who is sick and cranky, 3 days of flue & I turn into a bear.
Yes I regrettably snapped at this seller but his 3rd response acknowledging the flaws demonstrates he was aware of them and did not disclose when first questioned. His response of "I've answered most of these questions previously." was not true.
The coin was in what seemed to be a dusty capsule with water spots so it was impossible to tell where the capsule ended and the coin began.
I believe Honus has helped to define part of the problem in that it may not be a simple question to answer but this is not license to be less than honest to the best of your ability.

Offline Honus

• Supporter
    • Anvil Fine Wares
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 08:56:43 AM »
You're absolutely correct, NBM, there are dishonest sellers out there, and I myself have purchased coins that were either inadequately or dishonestly described.   Just as there are dishonest lawyers, and dishonest automobile repair technicians, and dishonest investment bankers, there will always be a few dishonest eBay sellers.   It is for that reason that lately I've been buying most of my coins via face-to-face transactions, instead of eBay, because a dishonest eBay transaction can really ruin your day. 

Hope you feel better!
Eric Liquori
Anvil Fine Wares
www.anvilfinewares.com