Author Topic: Chinese Historical Figures and Culture 5Y silver coins  (Read 11665 times)

Offline auagbug

• Trade Count: (0)
Chinese Historical Figures and Culture 5Y silver coins
« on: August 15, 2011, 04:14:09 AM »
Refering to the 22g .900 silver coins minted as sets from 1984 to 1993, as well as 1995 and 1997 for chinese culture themes.
Wondering whats your take on these coins? With mintages all under 20,000 and the 1989 set as low as 5+k, do these coins have potential to be good investments over time?

Appreciate any thoughts.

Offline playdoh

Re: Chinese Historical Figures and Culture 5Y silver coins
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 06:25:30 AM »
IMO, these have great potential as investment but are also very nice proof coins to collect.
For investment purposes those graded PF69 UC are fantastic value and are slowly becoming more available on ebay.

The boxed sets are nice for collectors but you need to be aware that most of these sets that appear on ebay are sold and resold as buyers select the best coins from 2/3 sets and then resell the lesser specimens.

Offline exchange

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 07:08:28 AM »
Refering to the 22g .900 silver coins minted as sets from 1984 to 1993, as well as 1995 and 1997 for chinese culture themes.
Wondering whats your take on these coins? With mintages all under 20,000 and the 1989 set as low as 5+k, do these coins have potential to be good investments over time?

Excellent set to have. Very under appreciated with very good potential. Playdoh made a good point about buyers selecting the best coins, just get them double sealed and those worries should not be a concern. My rule of thumb is if a coin was issued double sealed, then thats how I want mine to be. To many wrong things can happen if not.

exchange

Appreciate any thoughts.

Offline auagbug

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 07:18:51 AM »
Thanks both.
Indeed, these are still available under $100 on auctions.

Exchange: I think they only come in capsules without plastic seals.

Offline exchange

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 07:26:26 AM »
Thanks both.
Indeed, these are still available under $100 on auctions.

Exchange: I think they only come in capsules without plastic seals.

No, they originally come in double sealed, capsule and plastic pouch. If they don't, I consider them tempered with.

Sincerely,
exchange

Offline mrslick32

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 10:00:38 PM »
One issue I noticed with other sellers is that even if a coin is "double sealed", I suspect that it has already been opened and resealed. I say that because I've bought some "double sealed" coins that have fingerprints on the capsule. I confirmed that they were on the capsule because I could not get rid of them by wiping the plastic seal. It's getting more and more difficult to find original double sealed coins because a lot of people are trying to get the best specimens and resell the less desirable ones.

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 05:50:20 AM »
No, they originally come in double sealed, capsule and plastic pouch. If they don't, I consider them tempered with.
Do you have or know of any double sealed Historical Figure coins (1984-1993)?  My collection was purchased before year 2000, and I have not a single double sealed coin.  I also reviewed the last 6 month of eBay auction of the Historical Figures, and I didn't see any double seal coin.  If you do have a double seal, I would consider that quite rare and definitely collectible in that OMP state.

Offline exchange

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 07:13:04 AM »
Do you have or know of any double sealed Historical Figure coins (1984-1993)?  My collection was purchased before year 2000, and I have not a single double sealed coin.  I also reviewed the last 6 month of eBay auction of the Historical Figures, and I didn't see any double seal coin.  If you do have a double seal, I would consider that quite rare and definitely collectible in that OMP state.

Hi Sandac,

I found out that certain years these coins never came double sealed. Apparently the double sealed coins were done in the later years. I dont have full proof of this as it is coming from word of mouth.

mrslick32 makes an excellent point about the resealing. One would have to know exactly which years were not double sealed and which years were, at least that would minimize the resealing issue.

and no........ thats no reason to send them to the slaugther house. :)

exchange

Offline badon

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 02:33:44 PM »
I don't know of any that were not double sealed. I think there was mention of German dealers selling them in their own packaging without the double seal, but I think they simply removed the seal. The China mint did not ship them with German packaging.

Look around and you might find mention of the red felt trays that I think was part of the discussion. If you find the post, let us know.

Offline DiggingNorway

• Gold Source
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 03:26:54 PM »
I have a few of both these series and I have never seem them in other ways than in a capsule.
Also, the original box they came in has no room for double seals...

br
DN

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 06:22:37 AM »
DiggingNorway,
I believe you posted a NGC population list of the Historical Figures a few months ago.  Could you tell me where I can find the original list?  I did a NGC population list just now, and am astonished to find great many new coins in the list.  I want to compare it to the older list.  Thanks.

Offline DiggingNorway

• Gold Source
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 08:10:55 AM »
that list was actually something I had to compile myself by ctrl+alt+printscreen and add it in a word document, that I later turened into a pdf, I think... god knows were it went..

attached is another document you may find interesting, but I did post the grading-population somewhere too... guess youll have to search my posts somehow.. sorry

Offline DiggingNorway

• Gold Source

Offline DiggingNorway

• Gold Source
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2011, 11:18:34 AM »
I found the word document, you can zoom to get better figueres, it would be interesting if you could shar your latest aggregated report of the series7

br
DN

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2011, 04:15:18 AM »
Attached is the spreadsheet of the latest NGC Historical Figures population report.  I see roughly 30-40% growth since your number in late June.  However, the last two years (1992-1993) experienced something like 1000% (10x) growth!  The curious thing is that I have not seen ANY graded 1992 or 1993 auctioned on eBay.  The few raw 1992 coins went for $200-$300.  I wonder what the graded coins would fetch?