Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Modern Chinese Coins / Re: WOW of the day
« Last post by eric on Today at 04:06:18 PM »
I do think it was a fraudulent listing now. The seller messaged me saying "Hello, winning bidder is still playing around with the payment. So the coins is still available. Please let me know if you still interesting. Thanks"

For a US-based seller since 2010, selling this item, I would not expect those kind of typos. I think a scammer hijacked the seller's account, and was smart enough to list a coin set due to the seller's previous feedback being for coins. And was somehow smart enough to choose an obscure listing for the piedfort set.

A line in the auction description said "Having dealt in these coins for over 30 years this is the only complete set of these rare piedforts I have ever handled." I would like to know who originally wrote that. Clark? Jay? Martin?
General Discussion / Re: Worst Chinese Coins/Medals to invest in
« Last post by eric on Today at 03:58:12 PM »
I draw the line at 2010, any medal or coin issued after 2010 I am no longer keeping as part of my personal collection.  I still buy and sell some post 2011 medals if I trust the distributor will not dump into the market or rip people off before and during the show release.  As a general rule I only handle medals that were issued by US distributors, any distributed by Asia or Europe based distributors I completely avoid.

As a collector/investor/dealer don't you find it disheartening that you don't consider post-2010 to be a good investment? In order for the market to keep growing,  and thus raising the demand/value of our pre-2010 stuff, don't we need new collectors to keep joining the game, which means we need new products each year that are worth buying? 10-15 years from now who is going to be buying those pre-2010 coins?

In other words, it seems like a lot of this new stuff is really bad for the entire MCC market, right? I don't mean to bring negativity into the forum, but the way I see it, we might as well discuss it if we hope to see change. I doubt the China mint is going to change the way they're doing bullion these days, but hopefully at least some medal sponsors will take these opinions into consideration. (As an aside, since he's an active member here, I do think PA's valentine medals are done well and have bought a couple of each. And I suppose he would fit your criteria of a US distributor--although I do think the near-term profit is pretty well built into the price.)

But I find the barrage of "official" and non-official mint products to be confusing. The 2001 small-D controversy also left a really bad taste in my mouth. It feels like collectors have to have a huge body of knowledge (and what seems like insider info) in order to be successful in MCC. On the one hand, it's fun and natural for those on the inside to find the varieties and rarities, and cash in on their knowledge. To some extent, all coin collecting is like that even in the big genres like Lincoln pennies, and Morgan dollars. But there also seems to be an inherent simplicity in those markets compared to MCC. If I'm buying American Eagles, I'm not going to worry that a certain year and mint mark is going to suddenly be fake.

With MCC, I'm still buying, but not as much as I used to, because my trust level is fairly low. I have a big collection, so I'm still HOPING for the best. But what needs to happen to see this market rebound to new levels?
Coins are sold or withdrawn. Thanks.
« Last post by pandamonium on Today at 07:41:15 AM »
Ebay photo, not mine.   This is a 2010 medal Gilt Tiger w/ crystal eyes and only newer issue i have.     For whatever reason no one on ebay bid last yr so it was very cheap.    As a Color silver lunar it is worth collecting for me.       Early issue medals have real potential now as more collect them.       
Another medal i find interesting is this 1982 copper dog from Proof set.     Ebay photo but mine as it was very cheap, scratches?     No Proof set medals on ebay now.    As the Proof sets rise in value why not the medals in the set?.....
I draw the line at 2010, any medal or coin issued after 2010 I am no longer keeping as part of my personal collection.  I still buy and sell some post 2011 medals if I trust the distributor will not dump into the market or rip people off before and during the show release.  As a general rule I only handle medals that were issued by US distributors, any distributed by Asia or Europe based distributors I completely avoid.
« Last post by KeepOnTrying! on Yesterday at 07:30:44 PM »
The most optimistic one can be of the medal market is to say that it is currently in flux. Early issue medals seem to be doing much better than recent issue, low mintage, multiple format privately sponsored medals.

Medals add a lot of welcome variety to a coin collection but as has been highlighted in posts elsewhere the sudden massive output of high cost medals in the last few years may have shaken collectors’ confidence in that genre. However, it is still possible for some of them to turn out to be gems in future.

My hope is that medal sponsors shall become more restrained in the number and variety of medals they output. Furthermore, the current front loaded large profit making approach needs to be changed to another model that shares in the fortunes of the medal product on a more long term basis.
Testing / Re: mini test
« Last post by KeepOnTrying! on Yesterday at 07:00:44 PM »
Pop 2 after 27 years is definitely future proofed. Congrats!
« Last post by pandamonium on Yesterday at 07:24:57 AM »
New issue low mint medals have gotten a lot of bad opinions/press.      I always promote early issue.     Years ago private mint vs official mint were black and white.    Today as more info comes out it seems to be a grey area.      Artists from official mints also work for private mints.      Could someone else please provide more info on this?       Some early issue private mint medals seem to have good demand now and are a good buy.     Early issue (private and official) will see more increased demand/price but information on all early issue is very hard to dig up.     A few years ago most ebay sellers/collectors all said coins.   Today the majority of them collect medals now too.....
Modern Chinese Coins / Re: WOW of the day
« Last post by eric on Yesterday at 07:18:54 AM »
1980 Olympic Silver Proof Piedfort Proof Coins Complete Set

When it takes you to that page, click the word "listing" in the message at the top that you just mentioned.

If it was bogus, they probably ripped the images and description from a prior auction on ebay or another marketplace. So there should be some record of it out there somewhere.
Testing / Re: mini test
« Last post by mook on Yesterday at 06:43:59 AM »
 N31 Pop 2
No worries for long-term value
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10