Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
China Imperial & Republic / Does anyone know about these coins?
« Last post by YKC on Today at 01:13:00 PM »
These coins belonged to my great grandfather.  I am told they are genuine.  I am posting photos of them because I think I can get some answers from here.  I am wondering if these are worth anything.  Should I be taking care of them or not?  Thanks so much. 
Introductions / Re: Introduction
« Last post by r3globe on Today at 10:11:37 AM »
you are in the right place. welcome.
Introductions / Re: Introduction
« Last post by bender9876 on Today at 07:18:19 AM »
Welcome
China Imperial & Republic / Re: 1911 China coin to see is to believe
« Last post by Endeavour on Yesterday at 11:52:37 PM »
What are the characters on the top of the reverse? Do they translate to anything or is it a design feature?

Never mind, if anyone was wondering like me what the 4 characters above mean, it's Manchurian, the first two characters being the Emperor's name and the last two being the third year of his rule.
China Imperial & Republic / Re: 1911 China coin to see is to believe
« Last post by linlaujiou on Yesterday at 11:44:17 PM »
圖為1900庚子江南省造光緒元寶七錢二分截圖.
乃2016.01.15與奉天癸卯一兩等共10枚同時入手.
Introductions / Introduction
« Last post by YKC on Yesterday at 09:44:39 PM »
Glad to have found this forum.  My motivation is a recent gift from my father.  He inherited a large collection of Chinese coins from his mother who got them from her father-in-law.  In other words, the collection belonged to my great grandfather.  I am not familiar with Chinese history or coin collection but I can sense there is a lot of history to them.  I am told they are genuine coins.  I will post pics of them to see what others think.
This is true. In this case I didn't observe huge marketing or hype behind this first issue of eight in the series.
Depends on how much a unit appreciates. In this case they have more than doubled in value as things stand. (Limited sales data)

Just on a general basis many hyped coins “do well” initially but after the excitement dies down and the market movers have taken their profits the price trajectory invariably moves sideways.
Modern Chinese Medals / Re: CATTE aluminum Feng Yunming set
« Last post by fwang2450 on September 20, 2018, 11:14:42 PM »
That cuni set of 35th Anniversary is Proof. Yours may be the MS version.
Modern Chinese Medals / Re: CATTE aluminum Feng Yunming set
« Last post by pandamonium on September 20, 2018, 09:40:06 PM »
I get some negative comments and positive too on why anyone would want to buy Feng Yunming medals.     I have little experience....Correct me if i am wrong..

Feng medals are crude...   Some are but his are not official mint, mostly National Arts and Crafts...
Feng medals are very early year of MCC.. This is important as at least one opinion says he is the Grandfather of medals.   
Feng medals are cheap....for now yes, but so were some circ coins, republic, empire, etc... until Mr Sun's book came out.
Feng medals are only collected by few... yes, but many of those collectors are highly experienced and do not post here.
Feng medals are plentiful....no, they are low pop especially the non 5 silver sets, non gold horse.  Not enough buyers yet..

It is a good gamble to buy when MCC are early year and unknown.   Look at the 1988 Brass Pandas that were cheap and unknown until studied and information was published.  By then most were in hands of knowledgeable collectors/dealers that cashed in.

See 1st photo of 1984  35th Anniversary 3 pc set cu ni.    Ebay 153179412307  $240.50  Sold   I bought one or two of these a few years ago for about $12 ea., maybe less.   Mr Sun's book changed the market.   They look crude to me and 200,000 + mintage??   The highest mintage for a Feng silver medal is 5,000...

The 17 gilt medals (photos in previous post) were just recently discovered in one stash.    A stash of about 100 pcs and most have been sold.    A few came up on ebay, i think i counted 7 since Fwang's translation blog in 2013.    There maybe more in the China market that pop up.   Several were basically unknown.    See photos 2 & 3 of a recent ebay sale 173528670396 Galloping Bronze Horse or Kansu horse that sold for $16.50 listed as imperfect.    This might be the rarest one.   

What the market needs is for Feng to be interviewed w/ other early artists like Chen Jian, Yi Shizhong & Sun Qiling if all are around and not pushing up daisies.   Feng's former neighbor Mr Yu Fuhui would also be a good contact.   I was told that some early year artists show up at coin shows.    Interview them together to jog each other's memories would be best.    Not only would we get info on Feng's contributions but maybe valuable info on the other early artists.   

In short Feng Yunming medals have potential, are undervalued, and some are rare.    All it will take is one publication or a few paragraphs probably on a Chinese coins site first, to turn the market around for his medals......

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10