Author Topic: Junk dollar 1934 varieties  (Read 10828 times)

Offline KONDi

• Trade Count: (+6)
Junk dollar 1934 varieties
« on: January 25, 2012, 11:31:11 AM »
Dear coin collectors and coin dealers,

Let me introduce you varieties of junk dollar 1934. There are little more of them than varieties of junk dollar 1933. So enjoy reading. But before I will start to describe varieties of junk dollar 1934. I would like to mentioned some piece of history. The year 22 junk dollar was struck in Shanghai. The year 23 junk dollar is a little more complicated, as it was originally minted in Shanghai, but there is also a restruck
coin minted in the United States in 1949. All three USA mints (Philadelphia, Denver and San Francisco) made restrikes of the 1934 Sun Yat Sen dollar in 1949. It is hard to distinguish which one is original struck in Shanghai and which one is those 3 USA mints. Now let's start with junk dollar 1934 varieties.

Picture 1a and 1b
On those 2 pictures I would like to present you Yunnan variety of junk dollar 1934. I guess not many of you know that such of variety exists. Well it really exists and it is very rare! On the obverse of this variety we can see that eye area is not so clear as on common junk dollar 1934. The same is with mustache on Yunnan variety. The next point is a collar and tying on the obverse of Yunnan variety. They are as well not so clear. That's all about obverse, let's move to reverse. On the reverse you can see that both sails are not so clear if we compare them to sails on common junk dollar 1934. The base of the boat is also not clear. We don't see people and lines on the boat. What is the key point on this Yunnan variety is that dot in front of the boat close to anchor is very clear! 2 chinese characters looks different when we will try to compare them with 2 chinese characters "yi yuan" from common junk dollar. And finally on the reverse on the right side there is double rim which is characteristic for Yunnan variety but it is not a rule. This is rare variety!

Picture 2
This is our common junk dollar 1934:)

Picture 3
This one is a private variety. It weighs only 26g. It is very easy to distinguish it from common one from picture 2. First of all 2nd, 6th and 7th chinese characters on obverse are little smeared, especially 2nd one and 7th one. 3rd chinese character on the obverse is little crooked, comparing to common junk dollar 1934 from picture nr 2. Anyway all those chinese characters looks a little bit different then all chinese characters on the one from picture nr 2. Also there is different shape of hair on the obverse of our private variety junk dollar 1934. The key point is Sun Yat-sen's eye which looks like Sun Yat-sen is surprised. A collar and tying below the collar is another point. It looks like Sun would have double collar and double tying below the collar. Let's go on the other side-on the reverse of this interesting coin. The junk is quite clear. A lot of lines we can see on a boat and on sails but which look little different than on junk dollar from picture nr 2. Waves looks little different when we will try to compare those 2 pieces. What is the most important are 2 chinese character which means "yi yuan". On the left, the character "yuan", downstairs the character is connected with a base and upstairs it has different shape comparing to common junk from picture nr 2. The character "yi" is narrower but on common junk from picture nr 2 is wider.

Picture 4
This one is called "sailing ribbon variety". I asked one of my chinese coin dealer to explain me why do they call it like this. He could give me clear answer. It looks similar to the one from picture nr 2. However there are some differences. On the obverse, through 5th and 6th chinese character is going some line. If it would be a result of circulation then why this line goes through the center of those 2 chinese characters? I
think this is interesting. On the reverse there is some die crack which goes down to chinese character "yi" (the chinese character on the right side). Also on the right side there is double rim. Remember what I said about Yunnan variety. Yes, that's why double rim can't be the point to distinguish which variety is which. What is more interesting is that people on the junk are more clear than people on the junk from picture 2.
Finally the anchor which is on a boat (the part of the anchor) is more clear than the one on junk dollar 1934 from picture 2. My hypothesis is that this is junk dollar 1934 which were struck in Shanghai and the one on picture 2 is the one from one of USA mints. But this is just hypothesis not confirmed fact.

Picture 5a and 5b
This one is called "6 ropes variety" and it is the rarest junk dollar 1934. When we take a look on obverse and reverse of this junk dollar we won't find nothing special. But when we will take a look closer on reverse in the middle of the first and second sail we will notice 6 thiner lines which are comming out of one sail. Can you see them? I pointed them with red dots. This is very rare variety!!! Compare with picture nr 2 and find our by yourself.

Picture 6a and 6b
Monkey face variety of junk dollar 1934 is one of the most interesting private variety of junk dollar dated 23. Why? Everything looks so crude: Sun Yat-sen face, all chinese characters on obverse and reverse---totally everything! Most of you would say-FAKE! Nothing more wrong! This is monkey face variety. It is private edition, weighs only 26g and contains only 8% of silver! Very interesting coin and the only example till now! Why it is called money face variety, probably because Sun Yat-sen face looks like money face a little bit. You can see it on picture 6b.

Picture 7a, 7b and 7c
This is the last variety, which is also private variety but different than the one on picture 6a and 6b and also different than the one from picture 3. Let's compare nr 3 with this one. First of all when we will take a look on this variety on the obverse we will see that Sun Yat-sen's eyebrow is clear. Ear is little bit bigger than the one on junk from picture 3. Even some part of ear is bigger, right? So variety from picture nr 3 and 7 can't be the same ones. On obverse the 3rd chinese character is different shape then 3rd chinese character from variety on picture nr 3. The leg of 3rd chinese character is longer and thiner while the leg of 3rd chinese character is shorter and fatter. 4 last chinese characters from the right side also looks different from those on picture nr 3. What's more 7th one is bigger than 7th chinese character on junk from picture nr 3, and the last chinese character is wider and not so sharp as the one on junk dollar 1934 from picture nr 3. That's all about obverse let's compare reverses of those 2. First of all sails, both sails on variety from picture nr 3 and picture nr 7 has clear lines. But people are more clear on picture nr 7 and the anchor part on nr 7 is also more visuable than on picture nr 3. The connection of the 2nd chinese character which means "yuan" with a base of this character is different than on the one from picture nr 3. On pictures nr 3, sea is more visuable while on nr 7 you can't see waves of sea at all! Finally chinese character "yi" on the one from picture nr 3 has sharp one part while part of chinese character "yi" on the one from picture nr 7 has little round shape. This privare variety doesn't has a name but as a discoverer of this variety
I would like to call it "big ear variety" since Sun's ear is bigger:) I hope he won't mind. It weighs only 26g.

Those are all varieties of junk dollar 1934. Thank you for your reading! I hope you enjoy it. Soon I will come with Memento dollar 1927 varieties on which I am working on right now. If you found some different variety which I didn't describe here please post you photos here below and your discovery.
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com
Chopmark Collectors Club member 368 (CCC)
Shanghai Token Society member 3 (STS)

Offline chinesecoinchaser

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Junk dollar 1934 varieties
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 11:51:07 PM »
Is this "sailing ribbon variety"  strong Obverse weakness in the 5th and 6th characters when the coin is in hand.

Offline KONDi

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 10:34:54 AM »
Dear chinesecoinchaser,

Yes, Nr 4---"sailing ribbon variety"  has a strong obverse weakness in the 5th and 6th chinese character when the coin is in hand. Thank you for your interest in Junk dollar 1934 varieties:)
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com

Offline chinesecoinchaser

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 10:58:16 AM »
Thanks!

Offline KONDi

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 11:09:54 PM »
Dear coin collector and coin dealer,

REMEMBER! Even recently some private varieties of YSK dollar 1914, 1920, 1921 or some private varieties of Junk dollar 1934 (23) recently have been discovered you have to keep in your mind that coin counterfeiters don't sleep. They will use chance and opportunity to sell us something which is fake. Below you can see an example of fake private variety of Junk dollar 1934 (23).
The color on this variety doesn't look natural and there are also some other points which can tell us that this is fake coin (please take a look on those 3 photos which I found on the Internet) and try to analize by yourself. It needs a lot of experience to detect genuine private issue variety from fake private issue. Remember always be careful and keep your eyes wide open N1
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com

Offline KONDi

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 11:12:55 PM »
BTW, this fake weights 28g and diameter is 38mm according to what I found.
KONDi
cfrost1984@gmail.com

Offline cdin12

• New
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 10:25:44 PM »
Does anyone know which one of the varieties were struck in the United States? I know you mentioned it was difficult to tell, but is it possible?

Offline Little Finger

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2016, 10:42:18 AM »
Hi Kondi,

Is this a known variety? It looks similar to the common one and weights 26.7g but overall has a dark appearance and rim is different from others I have seen. Thanks in advance.

Offline Little Finger

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 06:02:55 AM »
Found a page from an old book, are these other rare varieties ?

Offline Petterkr

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 10:46:25 AM »
Any varieties?