Author Topic: Need help identifying stuff from an old safe  (Read 5584 times)

Offline jmark

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New
Need help identifying stuff from an old safe
« on: March 07, 2016, 08:45:39 AM »
Recently had to transfer items from an old family safe which hasn't been touched for 3 decades. My mom said these were acquired sometime mid 80's. Any ideas if these are legit? Some of them are panda coins but there is also a lunar year pig coin bought during my birthyear, a mao coin, a medal, and I think scycees. Sorry for the photo quality since I was rushing to take the pictures so I had to use my phone.

A 1 oz panda

1/2 1/4 1/10 pandas

A weird pig lunar coin without a value

A mao coin

Another panda coin

A medal?

And Sycees?

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+47)
Re: Need help identifying stuff from an old safe
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 09:35:41 AM »
A valuable find. The pandas look genuine. Don't know about the medals though. Others will chime in.

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 09:46:19 AM »
A wonderful find!  Handle all coins carefully because much of their values are in the condition of the coins.  Handle by the edge only and do not clean or polish them in anyway.  Gold coins may develop red rust spots that can easily removed by the professional service.  Good luck and welcome to CCF!

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 10:40:02 AM »
Use cotton gloves too! But minimal handling.
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline jmark

• New
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 10:47:14 AM »
Thanks for the heads up. Although I might have handled them a bit during transfer but I would say 70% of the time on the edges, did I mess it up? Right now they're in individual plastic ziplocks until I can find coin sleeves.

Would you recommend I have these graded? Also, will NGC prep the coin to retain it's grade in the case once graded?

I'm really curious with the lunar coin since most I've seen online has the RMB value but this one doesn't. And the reverse has dates.

Offline silverpv

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 02:23:13 PM »
look for flips or capsules to put them in. SAflips are good. The 83 set send in, the 86 no and the 82 is a sure why not if you're going to send the rest in. You have to send it to NCS if you want it conserved prior to grading. I am new at grading so I want to send in anything that's out of omp for authentication and preservation. The sycees are really cool.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 02:38:05 PM »
Thanks for the heads up. Although I might have handled them a bit during transfer but I would say 70% of the time on the edges, did I mess it up? Right now they're in individual plastic ziplocks until I can find coin sleeves.

Would you recommend I have these graded? Also, will NGC prep the coin to retain it's grade in the case once graded?

I'm really curious with the lunar coin since most I've seen online has the RMB value but this one doesn't. And the reverse has dates.

look for flips or capsules to put them in. SAflips are good. The 83 set send in, the 86 no and the 82 is a sure why not if you're going to send the rest in. You have to send it to NCS if you want it conserved prior to grading. I am new at grading so I want to send in anything that's out of omp for authentication and preservation. The sycees are really cool.

Largely similar sentiments. I would put them in flips as suggested then quickly research the items. Even if selling its probably best to get them conserved and graded to make sure you get the best price for the items. Once coins etc are out of double sealed OMPs they start degenerating; gold takes a long time to degrade appreciably. There is somewhere here that I once gave detailed instructions for registration options and how to send to NCS/NGC to get coins conserved and encased in slabs. I'll post it later on if I find it unless someone else posts it sooner.

In the ideal world you would keep this wonderful inheritance (?) and add to it. Good luck and best wishes!

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+47)
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 03:05:43 PM »

Keep them separated from each other so that they don't clang around and leave marks or scratches. .999 fine gold is soft and easily scratched. I'd recommend flips, not capsules.

I would NOT get these coins graded. Lots of risk to you. Leave that risk to your buyer, IMO. Any knowledgeable buyer will be able to tell whether they are genuine, and, if interested, will shell out the cash to get them graded. No need for you to spend $400 to do it.

The lunar piece is a medal, not a coin. It does not have a Yuan denomination symbol. I'm interested as well.

Offline poconopenn

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 09:36:45 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

Great find. 1982 1 oz. and 1983 5-coin gold panda set are in real good condition.

The Mao medal is a very interesting one, since it had mentioned a purity of 999.9 on the obverse. Perhaps, it is gold, not brass as most Mao medal in the market.

Offline SANDAC

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2016, 11:01:31 PM »
I believe the lunar coin is brass like this NGC graded coin:
2774418-015
1983 CHINA 33mm LUNAR SERIES - PIG NUMBER CALENDAR OFFICIAL MINT MEDAL
https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/2774418-015/

Offline jmark

• New
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2016, 12:32:10 AM »
Yeah that looks like it. So I guess these things aren't really much of value?

So the last two unknown are the two maos.

Does anyone know what are the three markings on the Scyees mean?

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2016, 12:54:04 AM »
Yeah that looks like it. So I guess these things aren't really much of value?

So the last two unknown are the two maos.

Does anyone know what are the three markings on the Scyees mean?

Could be of great sentimental value, therefore priceless.

Also gives you an idea of how some current purchases and pricing could turn out in future.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2016, 06:18:57 AM »
What about the 1981 gilt brass wife of Sun yat sen.    Song ling?........rarely seen, is it a tourist item or collectible?.......

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2016, 10:20:21 AM »
The Mao medal was not even from Mainland China. The characters are in Traditional Chinese, so is the spelling of Mao's name.

The other gilt medal is from China, in memory of Song Qingling.