Author Topic: 1987 God of Longevity 3.3 oz PF69UC on Auction!  (Read 5882 times)

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: 1987 God of Longevity 3.3 oz PF69UC on Auction!
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2020, 08:36:09 AM »
I remember the God of longevity gold and silver medals as a set is the beginning the so called religious series. China mint gave the sole distributorship to a USA dealer who apparently had very good relation with them. Almost bought a gold medal but he had already put a high premium on it so I didn’t.  And now I regret it. These medals are considered good luck and fortune so most Chinese people would not sell them.

I agree, these big silver Gods will soon be in strong hands w/ big upside.      Very rare to see today and some day NGC will label the variety/numbers.     Silver is ready to break out too.    Just a beauty of a design.     Most all early year God Chinese are wise to hold....

Arif, you always get steals and lots of them!....

Daily Reckoning    Jim Rickards    "China; more bark then bite".....

Offline baron88

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2020, 10:46:04 AM »
The dealer in 1987 is a Taiwanese American. All religion coins and medals from China Mint were distributed by him from that year on in the US. The God of Longevity series was probably his suggestion and China Mint took it. As to what Arif mentioned about buying 20 of the silver medals in pristine condition with brand new looking plastic holders in 2010 makes me wonder if those medals were truly made in 1987 by China Mint or were made in 2009 - 2010 illegally? I did see for example quite of lot of counterfeit lunar series 5 oz silver coins being offered on eBay in 2010. Medals and coins that look newly minted after over 30 years are very suspicious to me.

Online KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+16)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2020, 05:11:01 PM »
The ones I got were from the 1980s, the dealer actually held them that long.  It is common for dealers to issue a medal release and then sell 50-80% of it at a nice margin and keep the rest as a freeroll.  It is all about proper storage and not looking at your coins.  I got coins in double intercept boxes, followed by double vacuum seal that hasn't been opened in 5-10  years.  Whenever I open one of these vintage boxes, the gold panda and lunars have the same eye appeal as when I sealed it.  When gold breaks $2000 plan to open a few of these to start selling.