Author Topic: 1980 Lantern series medal CU-NI strike?  (Read 298 times)

Online ChineseCoinQuest

• Trade Count: (+14)
1980 Lantern series medal CU-NI strike?
« on: September 21, 2022, 10:22:37 AM »
Hi everyone,
  We bought this medal recently thinking it was the 1980 phoenix “Brass” medal and when it arrived it was clearly not brass but some other off metal. NGC released the grades a couple days ago and they are calling this medal CU-NI. I can’t find any info on this CU-NI (copper nickel ) strike online, so I’m starting to think this might be a trial strike. I will post more photos once the medal arrives from grading. Curious to see  what Frank thinks of this strike.

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
Re: 1980 Lantern series medal CU-NI strike?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2022, 01:01:26 PM »
This is certainly a very rare specimen among the already rare Lantern series. A 1980 Lantern medal of some white metal once appeared on the German eBay site and was purchased by a collector from China. However there has been no conclusion as to what the metal is. If NGC says Cu-Ni, they must have some reason for that. I will double check with the brass medal guru in China for his opinion.

Online ChineseCoinQuest

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2022, 07:29:20 PM »
This is awesome news and now an extraordinary addition to our collection! Your insight is always greatly appreciated fwang2450!

I reached out to NGC and they are claiming to have conducted a metals test and are now looking into changing the label to SPUC label per my request. 🤞

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2022, 09:30:43 PM »
Congratulations!

This is one of the ultimate joys of being a collector.

Good job!
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2022, 01:53:18 AM »
After some discussions on the Chinese brass medal QQ forum, it was agreed that the material was Cu-Ni. According to a post by Haoyu Li, who wrote a catalog on brass medals, this Cu-Ni version of the 1980 Lanterns is extremely rare. I will translate his post in the next couple of days. In the meanwhile, I am showing a picture from his post, as well as another picture sent to me by a different collector.

Online ChineseCoinQuest

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2022, 11:26:12 AM »
Thanks for sharing these Frank! That double dragon definitely looks cu-ni and it’s in immaculate condition! As for the phoenix I’m not sure what type of metal that is, it might be the photo but I don’t see any copper.

Another reason this medal is different, the brass version has a hand etched surface finish, this one does not.

Here is a NGC High definition images from the photo vision plus option.

Online ChineseCoinQuest

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2022, 01:45:52 PM »
Congratulations!

This is one of the ultimate joys of being a collector.

Good job!

This is true, well said! Thank you, KeepOnTrying!

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2022, 05:47:08 PM »
Haoyu Li's post on the Palace Lantern medal series has been translated: https://modern-chinese-numismatic-info.blogspot.com/2022/09/hand-engraved-gems-from-shanghai-mint.html.

Offline Hippanda

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2022, 06:39:02 PM »
Very nice, well done.  Thank you.
“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.”

Confucius

Online ChineseCoinQuest

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2022, 07:26:38 PM »
Thank you for translating Mr. Haoyu Li's post and for giving us more depth into Palace Lantern Series! This is great information on these fascinating medals and we can now understand the level of difficulty to complete the entire series.

Offline fwang2450

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2022, 11:56:14 PM »
Thank you for translating Mr. Haoyu Li's post and for giving us more depth into Palace Lantern Series! This is great information on these fascinating medals and we can now understand the level of difficulty to complete the entire series.
It is super difficult to have the complete set. Even Li is missing some. When everyone agreed that there were 9 designs on the reverse,  out of the blue a Palace Lantern with the God of Longevity showed up, the only specimen discovered so far.

Online ChineseCoinQuest

« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 01:19:04 PM »
Interesting, so if it is genuine and which it does look real to me then this would be a restrike. If this is a restrike then there should be a 1980 GOL somewhere in the world. Since these are official mint products there should be documentation locked up somewhere, especially a project of this scale with so many important people involved. Until that information surfaces the mystery continues…