Author Topic: Stacks Auction May Hong Kong  (Read 1419 times)

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
Stacks Auction May Hong Kong
« on: April 06, 2022, 06:54:56 AM »
Some nice coins are now up for auction...

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/auctions/3-VWJMH/the-may-2022-hong-kong-auction-session-c-rarities-night-lots-51001-51255?sort=current_price_desc&limit=36

Including seven Auto Dollars of at least VF35 or higher.

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots?search=kweichow&lots_range=upcoming

It will be interesting how the market absorbs that number.  It appears that higher prices have brought out some supply.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Stacks Auction May Hong Kong
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2022, 09:10:22 AM »
I do not understand the Vintage market very well but it looks to me the smaller sizes 50C, 20C, etc..  are getting higher bids.   

Do you have a link to MCC?....

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2022, 09:26:31 AM »
Also, i track the silver dragon 50C Yunnan on ebay.  Last month the cheapest graded was a bit over $100.  Today the cheapest graded is about $225.    Now matter the supply the demand is growing.   Looks to me the 50C and smaller sizes are finally getting attention.....

Offline ChineseCoinQuest

• Trade Count: (+14)
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2022, 05:14:41 PM »
There are actually 2 Hong Kong Auctions. The one Birdman posted is “The Kairos Collection”, all are high end issues and high end grades. The normal Hong Kong auction still hasn’t been listed yet but should be soon. Rumors are there is a lot of material being offered, but non are being offered from within mainland China.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2022, 11:16:20 AM »
Thanks for the information.   Please post when the second auction is offered.
By now most understand that China owns the world gold supply and many world mines.   China owns a lot of bullion and we are headed to a gold/silver based economy.   Their National Treasure numismatic coins/medals will bid a lot higher than bullion, in time.   Makes sense that no one in China is auctioning their coins/medals as they are in strong hands.   As we all know the future is not bright for the USD as the planned destruction is ongoing.   The future of those that hold gold is very positive......

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+49)
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2022, 05:20:04 PM »
I would argue with the statement that, "By now most understand that China owns the world gold supply and many world mines."

I would guess that as little as 40% of the world population and as few as 10% of Americans know what countries hoard the most gold.

Offline bonke

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2022, 07:15:13 PM »
I am part of the 90% who do not know this.  I hoard a small amount of gold.  Other forum members hoard small amounts of gold.  We are all frightened about the unknown future.  Does the US government, the PRC government, the Russian government or the Indian government hoard gold?  Are they also frightened?  I do not know.  Recently, I heard people speculate about the Ft. Knox hoard.  Recently, I heard about large gold bars in London which proved to be plated.  Recently, I have heard about the significant decrease in gold purchases in India due to the Covid 19 isolation policy and the decline in wedding ceremonies.  A gold or silver backed currency is impossible with the size of the economies in the world.  Impossible.  Possibly, I do not agree with Pandamonium and others which see the rise of the yuan in China or any other currency which would be backed by gold or silver or platinum.  This thinking is 50 years removed from the reality of our massive population and massive economies.

I hope this may lead to discussion as smarter members of this forum explain to me why my comments are not based on reality.

Mark Bonke

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2022, 09:06:22 PM »
Thanks, Birdman!

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2022, 09:22:13 PM »
Thanks, Birdman!

Sure.  Bid on the 1997 1kg now, so you can casually mention at cocktail parties that you bid $50k on a coin…since it is extremely rare and 32 oz of gold, I think you won’t get stuck with the big auction payment 😉 as it will surely sell for at least spot price ($60k+) plus a nice premium.

Offline KeepOnTrying!

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2022, 10:07:44 PM »
According to the World Gold Council, the market development organization for the gold industry, there are approximately 34,891 tons of gold reserves in the world as of Q1 2020. The top ten central banks with the latest gold reserves have remained relatively the same over the past few years. ten countries with the largest gold reserves in the world are:
1. USA- 8,134 tons
2. Germany- 3,364 tons
3. Italy- 2,453 tons
4. France- 2,436 tons
5. Russia- 2,299 tons
6. China- 1,948 tons
7. Switzerland- 1,040 tons
8. Japan- 765 tons
9. India- 642 tons
10. Netherlands- 612 tons

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/gold-reserves-by-country
KeepOnTrying and Never Give Up!
That lion is also after you!

Offline bonke

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2022, 08:39:56 AM »
Very interesting information.  Thank you. 

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2022, 08:43:39 AM »
Facts? Pshht, you can prove just about anything with those . . .

Offline bonke

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2022, 08:49:54 AM »
Thanks for the link to the modern Chinese coin auction.  So many wonderful modern coins and medals.  I put a bid on my favorite gold medal.  Hopefully, collectors and investors will have more interest in the coins and leave this medal for my collection.  Hopefully.  I am a dreamer.  In this strong market, everything will attract bids beyond my imagination.  Still, it was very enjoyable to look at the pictures in the items listed for sale.   

Mark Bonke

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2022, 08:51:31 AM »
There is a lot of information i consider fake news like the amount of gold each country holds by World Gold Council.  The truth comes out but it takes time.  Even the "Fact checkers" is biased stupidity....

Again, watch TV RAV Real America's Voice chl 194 on ROKU or PLUTO.   Read jsmineset, Steve Quayle, Dave Hodges Common Sense Show, goldseek or silver seek, Reddit Wall Street Silver, Dollarcollapse.com by John Rubino click Breaking News for starters.  There are many people that dig for the truth or know it and they post about it.   All we have to do it put in the time and effort to learn.  Again the military i grew up w/ trained me to get to the heart of the matter and by pass BS.  I could post some examples but my post would be removed by moderators....

Thank you for the links to the auction.  Some outstanding MCC coming up for sale.  Prices will be interesting....

Offline cdm collector

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2022, 09:58:41 AM »
That kilo will never sell for 50k, melt alone is is 62k. I think this coins sells for at least 100k, I'll make an offer to anyone in here who
has one for 85k.  PM me if you do,

Some good material but not alot of it, very few pandas very surprising. They touted this as the larges ever, certainly not for modern.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2022, 10:55:02 AM »
The links are for Vintage and Pandas or MCC.   

Is there a link for other Chinese that are not included in these two links?.......

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2022, 06:41:09 PM »
I've had a chance to spend a little more time scrolling through the Stacks Auctions.  There are some obvious rarities and popular coins, but there are a few other yummy coins that are off the radar.  One that I'll put money on blowing past its mere $5,000-$10,000 estimate is this Annam coin with five bats.

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-W1M1S/annam-5-tien-nd-1848-83-tu-duc-pcgs-ms-63

I've owned two of a slightly different Annam 5 Tien with 5 bats.  I kept the AU58 and sold my duplicate AU50.  The bats have an interesting meaning as explained by forum member low in this thread.

http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php/topic,5005.msg28717.html#msg28717

First: 五十 (fifty)

Second: 明命 (1820 - 1840) 通宝(copper coin)

Third: 五福 The Chinese for bat (fu 蝠) sounds identical to the word for good fortune(fu 福) making bats a popular Chinese rebuses. Five bats together represent the ‘Five Blessings’ (wufu 五福): long life, wealth, health, love of virtue and a peaceful death.

Fourth: 嗣德 (1848 - 1883) 通宝 (copper coin)

I've been looking for these type of coins for 10+ years and you just don't see mint state examples of this bat type.  To see a MS63.  Wow!  I'd be quietly bidding, but I'm certain that it will go for way higher than I can possible afford.  I'll definitely be watching!

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2022, 08:15:29 PM »
Some nice coins are now up for auction...

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/auctions/3-VWJMH/the-may-2022-hong-kong-auction-session-c-rarities-night-lots-51001-51255?sort=current_price_desc&limit=36

Including seven Auto Dollars of at least VF35 or higher.

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots?search=kweichow&lots_range=upcoming

It will be interesting how the market absorbs that number.  It appears that higher prices have brought out some supply.

The market didn't seem to have a problem absorbing all those Auto Dollars.  At first glance, the premium for PCGS graded coins has grown? (unfortunately, mine is NGC)

Another coin I was watching was the 1908 Y-14.  $216K for an MS62 is a strong price!  I am again left wondering what the price would be if it was NGC (mine is NGC, but crossing over to PCGS would be expensive at this point)

More bidding on many other coins over the next few days...Grab your popcorn...

Offline Mirkkanen

• Supporter
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2022, 10:28:37 PM »
Question . . . when I click on a link and browse prices for coins sold at auction, are the "sold" prices shown reflective of buyer premium, or not yet including the premium? (Not logged in)

Offline KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+16)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2022, 11:21:16 PM »
The buyer premium is included in the sold prices.

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2022, 07:17:15 AM »
I've had a chance to spend a little more time scrolling through the Stacks Auctions.  There are some obvious rarities and popular coins, but there are a few other yummy coins that are off the radar.  One that I'll put money on blowing past its mere $5,000-$10,000 estimate is this Annam coin with five bats.

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-W1M1S/annam-5-tien-nd-1848-83-tu-duc-pcgs-ms-63

I've owned two of a slightly different Annam 5 Tien with 5 bats.  I kept the AU58 and sold my duplicate AU50.  The bats have an interesting meaning as explained by forum member low in this thread.

http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php/topic,5005.msg28717.html#msg28717

I've been looking for these type of coins for 10+ years and you just don't see mint state examples of this bat type.  To see a MS63.  Wow!  I'd be quietly bidding, but I'm certain that it will go for way higher than I can possible afford.  I'll definitely be watching!

It indeed went for way higher than I could afford.  Wow! https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-W1M1S/annam-5-tien-nd-1848-83-tu-duc-pcgs-ms-63

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2022, 04:18:12 PM »
Wow, it is headed towards racing pigeon prices....

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2022, 09:26:04 AM »
The cheapest i have seen this popular pair in PF 69 UC sell for was about $100 each a few years ago.  Prices are up a bit but have a long way to go.....