Author Topic: Stacks Auctions. Sept/Oct 2021  (Read 1925 times)

Offline KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+16)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
Re: Stacks Auctions. Sept/Oct 2021
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2021, 03:10:25 PM »
Year of Child pricing was all-time record.  Lunars Record pricing.

Offline panda

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2021, 09:44:40 PM »
Year of Child pricing was all-time record.

That's amazing!

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2021, 06:56:17 AM »
Very active bidding in last night's session  (the auction is still going this morning).  So many interesting results.  There were many rarities that went for huge prices, but one coin that caught my eye was this 1908 AU58--a coin that used to be available to people who weren't millionaires.  The fact that a less-than-mint-state example of this coin sold for over $33,000 is amazing.  I paid $850 for an MS61 back in 2010.  An MS62 went for $46,800 last night!

When this auction is over, it will be intriguing to hear what the total amount of money spent will be.  Such a huge number of coins, collectively going for record prices.  With the recent rulings against bitcoin in China and the increased sense of risk in the high-flying real estate market, it seems there is a massive flow of money from one asset class to another. 

Online pandamonium

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2021, 07:31:52 AM »
Silver dollars are the flagship of Vintage.  Prices have got to rise for the small sizes too at a faster pace, 50C, 20C, 10C & 5C.

This 1949 20 C XF Yunnan sold for $357 w/ ship.  They keep climbing even at very low grades on ebay...

It will be interesting how the small silver dragons price like the Yunnan, Kwangtung, etc...

• Supporter
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2021, 10:16:55 AM »
If I had only focused on vintage coins instead of modern coins I could be retiring now.  The appreciation of vintage coins during the last few years reminds us of the modern coin market during 2009-2011, coins went up 5x-20x in a short period of time.  It is hard to believe such a time can exist for any asset class, but now I have witnessed it twice in the last 12 years.   With China's real estate and stock markets plunging and bitcoin banned, the collectibles market will surely get attention. 

Offline ChineseCoinQuest

• Trade Count: (+14)
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2021, 11:41:32 AM »
Very active bidding in last night's session  (the auction is still going this morning).  So many interesting results.  There were many rarities that went for huge prices, but one coin that caught my eye was this 1908 AU58--a coin that used to be available to people who weren't millionaires.  The fact that a less-than-mint-state example of this coin sold for over $33,000 is amazing.  I paid $850 for an MS61 back in 2010.  An MS62 went for $46,800 last night!

When this auction is over, it will be intriguing to hear what the total amount of money spent will be.  Such a huge number of coins, collectively going for record prices.  With the recent rulings against bitcoin in China and the increased sense of risk in the high-flying real estate market, it seems there is a massive flow of money from one asset class to another. 

WOW NOW THATS A RETURN!!!!! Congrats!!🍾

I switched my focus from modern to vintage a few years ago, now I’m on the brink of shutting down my business and putting all my attention into Chinese numismatics. 

I really hope the market holds up, because man I love coins! 

Online pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2021, 01:40:43 PM »
If I had only focused on vintage coins instead of modern coins I could be retiring now.  The appreciation of vintage coins during the last few years reminds us of the modern coin market during 2009-2011, coins went up 5x-20x in a short period of time.  It is hard to believe such a time can exist for any asset class, but now I have witnessed it twice in the last 12 years.   With China's real estate and stock markets plunging and bitcoin banned, the collectibles market will surely get attention. 

MCC were somewhat flat at Stacks, but that is OK.  You still have time to get into Vintage.  The small silver dragons are still affordable and they will easily double in price from today.   I picked up several OMP & graded for $20 to $55 each a few years ago out of curiousity for the most part.  They did not get many bids or watchers.  Now the graded are $150 on up.   Even the low grade Details are moving up.  They will still rise in price as Vintage is the race horse for now.  Chinese collectibles are going to have their day and the small silver dragons will do very well too....

Offline Birdman

• Supporter
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+19)
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2021, 03:40:21 PM »
I switched my focus from modern to vintage a few years ago

Yes, I think I sold you one of my vintage coins too soon.  I should have held onto that one  ;)  as it has zoomed up in value since then, judging from yesterday's auction results.  Oh well, at least that one went to a good home...and fortunately I have a few others remaining  :001_smile:

• Supporter
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2021, 08:11:43 PM »
WOW NOW THATS A RETURN!!!!! Congrats!!🍾

I switched my focus from modern to vintage a few years ago, now I’m on the brink of shutting down my business and putting all my attention into Chinese numismatics. 

I really hope the market holds up, because man I love coins! 

Don't quit your day job, what goes up can also come down, it is called financial gravity or stupidity.  In January 2009 I bought a few 1995 1oz gold panda proofs for $3000 from heritage sale, in July 2011 I sold them at $22,000-$23,000.  In 2018 I bought them back at $6,000-7,200, now I am sold out at $10,000.  Unless you are a trader you can't expect to retire with buy and hold mindset, because everything has cycles, even vintage.

Not everything about China is glowing, imagine them banning winter Olympic ticket sales to non-mainland fans, there are risks to every investment. 
https://www.dailywire.com/news/breaking-no-one-outside-of-china-allowed-to-attend-2022-winter-games-in-beijing

Offline bonke

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2021, 10:01:08 PM »
Arif

If the PRC does not permit "outsiders" to attend the winter events, this may be an act of kindness.  In 2008, my friends bought expensive tickets to the Olympic Summer Games opening ceremony and other events (at the official Olympic website).  Upon their arrival at the gate in Beijing for the opening ceremony, they were informed that their tickets were counterfeit.  Ouch!  They will certainly never become Chinese coin collectors and do not want to see any of my "Chinese stuff" when they visit my home.

Mark Bonke

Online pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2021, 11:40:58 PM »
Another 1949 20C Yunnan sold  $625 w/ ship

the only difference is XF Details $357  VS  XF 45  $625

I am bullish.  Everything does have cycles but i still think gold/silver will begin a big up cycle and Chinese will too.  MCC maybe flat today but not for long.  World debt & fiat is unmanageable....

Offline ChineseCoinQuest

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2021, 01:41:36 AM »
Yes, I think I sold you one of my vintage coins too soon.  I should have held onto that one  ;)  as it has zoomed up in value since then, judging from yesterday's auction results.  Oh well, at least that one went to a good home...and fortunately I have a few others remaining  :001_smile:

Haha I feel your pain, I have many stories of both coins I have sold and coins I have passed on that still hurt. To be honest I still have not been able to find a better piece to replace, at least within my budget.

Offline ChineseCoinQuest

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2021, 01:47:06 AM »
Don't quit your day job, what goes up can also come down, it is called financial gravity or stupidity.  In January 2009 I bought a few 1995 1oz gold panda proofs for $3000 from heritage sale, in July 2011 I sold them at $22,000-$23,000.  In 2018 I bought them back at $6,000-7,200, now I am sold out at $10,000.  Unless you are a trader you can't expect to retire with buy and hold mindset, because everything has cycles, even vintage.

Not everything about China is glowing, imagine them banning winter Olympic ticket sales to non-mainland fans, there are risks to every investment. 
https://www.dailywire.com/news/breaking-no-one-outside-of-china-allowed-to-attend-2022-winter-games-in-beijing

Not quitting yet but tempting, I will be elevating my side gig to another level and will soon be starting a website to sell my doubles and other numismatics. I don’t want to pay eBay fees if possible. But without any disrespect the markets are completely different, imho pandas are still tied too close to bullion at least 95% of the series is, so I wouldn’t compare them apples to apples. Just my thought thought.

Offline ChineseCoinQuest

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2021, 01:53:55 AM »
Arif

If the PRC does not permit "outsiders" to attend the winter events, this may be an act of kindness.  In 2008, my friends bought expensive tickets to the Olympic Summer Games opening ceremony and other events (at the official Olympic website).  Upon their arrival at the gate in Beijing for the opening ceremony, they were informed that their tickets were counterfeit.  Ouch!  They will certainly never become Chinese coin collectors and do not want to see any of my "Chinese stuff" when they visit my home.

Mark Bonke

Not sure what this story has anything to do with chinese coin market beside some people you know having a bad experience in China as tourist, who knows where they got the tickets. Personally 90% of people I sell Chinese numismatics to now a days is either chinese or have some sort of Chinese heritage or middle man for China
coin buyer. You seem to always have a bad experience with Chinese coins, why do you deal with them?

Offline rosab2000

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2021, 04:03:50 AM »
were there also panda gold coins or am I blind.  I only find a handful of results on Stack