Features > Modern Chinese Medals

Will medals soon see big demand?

(1/1)

pandamonium:
Even with my limited knowledge it seems obvious to me.   Medals will see big demand in the near future.  Feel free to correct my information or add to this post....

Coins have always been popular and many varieties have been discovered.  Many are graded today w/ big NGC pop numbers.   Most information & varieties has been posted...

Circulation Coins were discovered upon Mr Sun's book.   Circ coins went up and have seemed to level off, i could be wrong.

Vintage silver dollars have had demand but recently seen big demand.  Now smaller sizes in high grades (all grades) are seeing demand increase.  Vintage coins are on the move...

Medals have seen little research and only one collector, RARE MEDAL, has discovered varieties that i know of.   Medals were unappreciated so most were melted or mishandled as they had little value.   Maybe they were minted in very low numbers.   Varieties have not been researched.   It seems many medals especially early years are very rare in high grade or just very rare.   It was posted here the 1979 brass 4 pc. Tourist set sold graded in China for over $11,500 and over $3,000 OMP on US ebay.   That is price explosion to me.   Dealers tell me more collectors in China are buying early year medals.   It would not take much demand to see price increases.  Most are still cheap today.   I have posted about many w/ very low NGC pop.  The Search Button on this forum does not always work so click my name and click Posts to see past posts of unknown medals.  Official Panda Issue medals have always had demand so why not all medals?   We need more experts to research medals and write books on them in English too.  Medals have designs on both sides so they are appreciated for that.   I think medals will have their day soon and demand can only go up.  Explosive prices like the 1979 4 pc brass set will happen in time, many are that rare.

What do you think?  Provide photos if possible....

Hippanda:
Nope.  No time soon.  Sorry to be blunt, but you asked.  Might be better to concentrate your efforts elsewhere?

pandamonium:
I disagree and we are all allowed our opinions.   (Made some mistakes on this post as my router was shutting down and i did not have a chance to proof read.)  Lets take a quick look at the market....

Coins have been researched and varieties found.   There may be a few more surprises but maybe not.   The Panda coins were not considered worth collecting years ago as posted by Peter.  Now they have big demand as the Panda books changed the market too...

Circ Coins were basically unknown until Mr Sun's book.   The market for them matured quickly and most are understood so possibly few surprises of varieties, etc.. in the future...

Vintage are moving up, mostly silver dollars.   This is a old market w/ new high prices.  The small sizes are seeing demand too.   Most vintage are researched....

The next segment are unresearched Medals.   The high price of the 1979 4 pc brass Tourist set caught many collectors attention.  Why would this be a fluke?   It is not, it is the market telling us medals are being discovered.   Collectors in China are slowly buying up early year medals.   No books i know of in English.   Huang Ruiyong is one of China's experts, read about him on Search.   His Medal Star List is worth reading.   Why go thru all the research to write the Medal Star List if this expert considers medals as worthless?    Lots of facts point to medals as the next (maybe the last) segment of this market to see demand.   Many collectors worldwide are buying and not selling.   The wise hold medals in strong hands.  Give the market time....

pandamonium:
Member and expert here says the 1st official mint medal artists worked as a group that include Chen Jian, not as individual artists.   
1st gold medal set is the Beijing Scenery.  1st brass medal set is Shanghai Scenery.
Other popular 1980's medals include the Jianzhen (never seen on ebay in years), Hangzhou Scenery & Auspicous Lantern Series (see photo of recent sale-reasonable price in my opinion).

Photo of 2016 medal that has risen 10 times in price and not available on the market.

Last 3 photos of a strange CITIC red medal that one experts says unusual & rarely seen while another says these were once common.  CITIC is a big bank in China.  I got it for peanuts because the design and size.

Not sure how medal Pioneer Feng Yunming fits in yet but give it time......

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version