Author Topic: Gold Pandas Minted after 2009  (Read 93 times)

Offline tater

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+1)
Gold Pandas Minted after 2009
« on: February 23, 2021, 01:41:50 PM »
So I have been a long time panda collector and a member of this forum.  I am not a big time collector nor am I a dealer as I don;t have the resources available to buy some of the coins that you guys talk about and trade all of the time.  My collection started with silver bears and has moved into golden bears.  I've been able to pick up some nice ones raw at bullion prices and have had them graded and seen their value increase.  I don't understand the ins and outs of the market like several of you do so if some of my questions on this forum are elementary that is why, I'm still a rookie. 
My question today is looking at the gold pandas minted after 2009 it appears that the mintages are larger compared to those before and the design starts to consolidate on a similar like design with variations in the amounts of pandas.  Still beautiful coins but in my opinion not like the previous issues.  As I frequent coin shops and bullion houses in my area every once in awhile I can find a fractional gold bear in either 1/4 or 1/2 ounce like the 2013 at regular bullion prices.  But looking at Peters book and the guess at mintages its hard for me to determine if any of the post 2009 bears have any potential of becoming more rare or more valuable than just gold prices.  I often turn them down and keep my money in hopes of finding one from the 90's or early 00's which is no easy task.  So I ask peoples opinions on these later pandas, are they worth buying and storing and waiting or is the money better suited in the earlier dates? 

Offline KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+16)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
Re: Gold Pandas Minted after 2009
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 04:08:18 PM »
Coins minted after 2010 are a wait-and-see, rather than trying to pick winners.  Give coins at least 10 years before determining if they are rare.  Also, PM prices during those 10 years can make difference on how rare these coins could be, for example, Pd is at record highs, some coins can be melted for industrial uses rather than trying to find a customer to pay 5% over melt, so when years later some of the Pd coins could become very rare even if thousands of them were originally minted.

1-3 years ago 1985-1988 gold pandas had to be melted because there was no demand for them, as gold prices rose, tariffs implemented, and spread tightened dealers had to sell to refiners rather than customers.  Today those same coins are selling for 10-15% over melt and are in high demand.  Investing in numismatics is both an art and science, you just don't know which coins will be in play at any given moment.  Hope I didn't confuse you more than before you read this.

Offline tater

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+1)
Re: Gold Pandas Minted after 2009
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 04:50:35 PM »
Thank you Arif. 
That thought of giving a coin 10 years is something that I had not thought of.  Were I have limited funds to throw at these coins I'm trying to decide,  lock my dollars up in guessing a potential winner or just trying to buy some of the coins that I want and appreciate them and hold them long term.  I do think that if spot was $800 oz this would be a different conversation but at $1800 most halves with premium are $1000 + each.