Author Topic: YSK 1916 Flying Dragon Dollar - real or fake?  (Read 263 times)

Offline haphazard_collector

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New
YSK 1916 Flying Dragon Dollar - real or fake?
« on: January 09, 2021, 08:18:59 PM »
Bought this from an honest dealer last year in California, a rather expensive purchase but I thought it looked super legit. He said he'd shown it to various dealers and they also said it was authentic. However, I sent it off to NGC and they rejected it, and also to PCGS who also said unverifiable :(

I then showed it to a Chinese dealer here in NYC who is good at authentication and he thought it looked very good as well - he was very surprised at NGC's decision and said that if it is a fake it is possibly some sort of high quality early Japanese (?) fake, but otherwise is worth sending back in a couple more times. I showed it to a chinese friend who's a long time collector and he said he liked it as well.

I'm not sure what to do. Its a super nice example and if there's a chance it could be accepted then I'll keep it and send it in a couple more times.
However, I'm tempted to cut my losses and return it (dealer said he will take it back, and the grading fees are $100+ a go at this tier), but what if the graders are just not sure? What do people think? I'd love to get some more opinions here.

Its 26.880g (book weight is 26.80g). The obverse is more worn than the reverse which is weird.
I took these photos on my DSLR and can send very hi-res zoomed in pics of sections if anyone wants.

Offline panda

• Trade Count: (+2)
Re: YSK 1916 Flying Dragon Dollar - real or fake?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2021, 10:49:23 PM »
95.81 kB?

your photos are small

• New
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 10:55:45 PM »

Offline panda

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2021, 11:39:10 PM »
100% real, if you don't like it, sell to me.

Offline marbury518

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2021, 10:08:06 PM »
I have owned the 1916 Flying Dragon before and although this may be real I find the colour odd, the planchet looks a little porous...my view is that if you can get your money if it's been rejected by both grading companies, I would do that. This is a coin that costs several thousand dollars and if rejected by TPG it would always play on my mind, nagging doubts. 

• New
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2021, 10:10:59 PM »
I have owned the 1916 Flying Dragon before and although this may be real I find the colour odd, the planchet looks a little porous...my view is that if you can get your money if it's been rejected by both grading companies, I would do that. This is a coin that costs several thousand dollars and if rejected by TPG it would always play on my mind, nagging doubts.

Thanks very much for your opinion. The surface doesn't exhibit any porosity that I can see, it may just be the photo. The color is definitely unusual and potentially suspicious I agree, though I am using a ring flash which brings out everything in high contrast. I also agree that peace-of-mind is very important too!

Offline ChineseCoinQuest

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • AKA “PandaQuest”
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 12:54:53 PM »
My 2 cents. 

After carefully comparing details from genuine high definition examples from PCGS website, I truly think the detail with your 1916 dollar check out. I don’t think that is the issue , I think it’s the edge of coin or the surface condition that is making grading companies not confident in putting their name on it.

I’ve dealt with these types of coins and the last time I had one I received same results from grading companies and took the coin to a trusted dealers for opinion and even argued with him! He gave me the best piece of advice and told me this is textbook “problematic” coin, get your money back if you can and put it in another one! These type coins can be submitted dozes of times until it either gets graded , someone destroys it or give up and keep it as lesson to always deal with trusted sellers that offer refund!   That’s me.

A genuine dollar of this caliber (10k+) is heavily scrutinized by everyone and if there is any doubt at all by graders it gets body bagged and there nothing you or I or anybody can do but resubmit or let someone else give it a whirl.

My conclusion is take Marbury518 ‘s advice!

Best of luck to you!

Offline marbury518

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2021, 03:57:53 AM »
How things have changed...........my examples was absolutely stunning.......AU58...........and it cost me $3,700.............imagine the price now........no longer own it I am sorry to say......