Author Topic: Martin David Weiss, Now’s the Time to Speak  (Read 2527 times)

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Pandacollector.com
Martin David Weiss, Now’s the Time to Speak
« on: November 26, 2020, 08:15:58 PM »
CoinsWeekly honors Martin Weiss and his influence on the world of coins in its latest issue. The publisher wrote this note to subscribers (CoinsWeekly is free and highly recommended, by the way):

Thursday, November 26, 2020    ­
­   ­   ­
­   Dear Coin Enthusiasts all over the World,

being confronted with unpredictable officialdom in times of Covid-19 I do forget it sometimes: at the end of the day, it is people who keep our world running. It is people who can do good but also evil. They are fallible and fearful, courageous and generous, cautious and rash. People have the power to make my world hell or a paradise.

It isn’t states or bureaucracies, but people who move our world. People like Martin Weiss, the founder of Panda America and a major contributor to the international success of Chinese issues. I have never met him and I would have never known with how many wonderful motifs and ingenious ideas he inspired modern Chinese coinage if Peter Anthony hadn’t sent us the heart-warming obituary he wrote for his good friend.

When I read how this man used his skills to be successful in more than one career, not only am I impressed but also encouraged. For each and every one of us gets the chance to make a difference at some point. All you have to do is dare to take it when it comes.

Yours
Ursula Kampmann

https://coinsweekly.com/martin-david-weiss-nows-the-time-to-speak/

Happy Thanksgiving to all numismatists everywhere. I will always be thankful for a wonderful friend, Marty Weiss.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
China Pricepedia — Chinese Coin Prices and More
The Gold & Silver Panda Coin Buyer’s Guide`
Home of the Valentine Panda
www.pandacollector.com

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Martin David Weiss, Now’s the Time to Speak
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2020, 08:45:01 AM »
Outstanding article.    Lots of good history and information.     Even Alex Shagin had a impact on Chinese coins.   Clark has his 5 oz silver Dog listed and they are worth collecting.      What a good life Martin lived......

Offline Clark Smith

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • See our coins at www.coinvault.com
    • Clark Smith
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2020, 08:21:14 PM »
Did Marty design the 5oz dog ??

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2020, 08:47:29 PM »

Not that he ever mentioned to me.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
www.pandacollector.com

Offline PandaAccumulator

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2020, 09:34:10 PM »
What a nice article. He is one of the most important persons in modern Chinese coinage and should be remembered.

Peter, An award with his name, in honor of him? Just an idea.
PA.

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2020, 04:04:30 AM »
What a nice article. He is one of the most important persons in modern Chinese coinage and should be remembered.

Peter, An award with his name, in honor of him? Just an idea.

I like the idea and will see what kind of support there is. Thanks.

FYI, Marty left money to establish an educational scholarship at the ANA and something else that I look forward to announcing later when it is complete.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
www.pandacollector.com

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2020, 08:10:21 AM »

The dog has ASH on it about 7 o'clock.    It was posted here that is Alex.     Who knows?  Marty and Alex probably designed many Chinese or gave ideas for them.    Wish we had more info.....

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2020, 01:34:23 PM »

The dog has ASH on it about 7 o'clock.    It was posted here that is Alex.     Who knows?  Marty and Alex probably designed many Chinese or gave ideas for them.    Wish we had more info.....

Marty arranged for me to interview Alex Shagin in 2014. At the end Alex gave me a medal he had designed. It does not have ASH anywhere on it. We talked about the IDOC series and his work on it as well as other projects. I do not recall him mentioning any other designs that he did for China, but I will check the recording when there is time.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
www.pandacollector.com

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2020, 03:12:35 PM »
Incidentally, it's my intention that Marty Weiss will continue to be part of the numismatic community for years to come. He and I recorded hours of interviews on coins and coin-related subjects. These will be the raw material for future stories in China Pricepedia, CoinsWeekly and elsewhere, videos and maybe even a book. Almost as soon as we met I realized that his knowledge needed to be recorded, or it would be lost forever. So much of what he witnessed and participated in has never been published, or even revealed publicly. His inside view is often different from what the outside world saw and thought. I could go on and on — and I will. This thought made him happy.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
www.pandacollector.com

Offline PandaAccumulator

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2020, 03:45:04 PM »
Peter, I am glad to hear that you have recorded your conversations with him. I would love to read more stories about him, his inside view, and his involvement with MCC.

PA.

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2020, 05:15:38 PM »
Marty arranged for me to interview Alex Shagin in 2014. At the end Alex gave me a medal he had designed. It does not have ASH anywhere on it. We talked about the IDOC series and his work on it as well as other projects. I do not recall him mentioning any other designs that he did for China, but I will check the recording when there is time.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
www.pandacollector.com

Is it possible to contact Alex and ask him what coins/medals he worked on?     I stated ASH because past articles here said they were by Alex.....

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2020, 05:26:26 PM »
Unfortunately, Alex did not attend Marty's funeral, but neither did many other people who would have liked to. If you are interested it might be worth looking at any known Alex Shagin designed medals to see if there is a signature, or initials on those. I will see what I can learn.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
www.pandacollector.com

Offline KeyDate1/2ozPandas

• Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+16)
    • China Mint Coins, LLC
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2020, 04:48:46 PM »
Great interview with Marty back in 2008, just at the onset of the financial crisis.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrwApJKtdLU

The market had peaked two months prior and coins were in steep decline.  I went to Panda America store to buy some pandas and I&D gold prior to the show.  Back then you could buy 1994 1/2 MS70 for $800 or 1996 1/2 MS69 for $700, if you had foresight 1995 1/2 ms69 for $900 or 1998 1/2 for $1300.  Marty retired 5 years too early, he missed the best 5 years of the panda market from 2007-2011, don't know if it was his health or market timing decision, too bad I never got a chance to ask him.

Offline PandaCollector

• Supporter
    • Pandacollector.com
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2020, 04:58:23 PM »
Great interview with Marty back in 2008, just at the onset of the financial crisis.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrwApJKtdLU

Marty retired 5 years too early, he missed the best 5 years of the panda market from 2007-2011, don't know if it was his health or market timing decision, too bad I never got a chance to ask him.

Marty's wife passed away in 2007, two years after he sold Panda America. He had other things to do, but remained active in the coin market – invisibly.

Best wishes,
Peter Anthony
The Gold & Silver Panda Coin Buyer’s Guide
www.pandacollector.com

Offline pandamonium

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2020, 09:13:38 AM »
Pandaamerica 1 oz silver pandagram bar.     2 sold on ebay recently for $31 ea.     I rarely see them on ebay now.  Note the "circle P" next to Pandagram about 3 o'clock.     
PA says Singapore Mint w/ unlimited mintage, then in 2014 Sunshine Mint struck them.     They are no longer in production.     The photo is of Singapore Mint. 

Very small potatoes but when Chinese inventory is gone and more people discover Chinese money then we could see these as collectibles.     In time PA after market sets like this I & D big set w/ 5 oz Sharpei dog by Alex, see photo, could become collectibles too w/ 350 sets.     There are a few other coins/medals minted by other countries like Great Britain have been accepted so why not PA?     We will find out in the long run....